Masterchef – Masterclass (open post)

I’m not going to blog the Masterclass tonight. Rather than watch people cook, I’m going to be out stuffing myself with Peking Duck. I have been enjoying the classes, though, so let me know what I’m missing out on, in the comments.

1 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 8:53 pm }

Duck is on the menu and Gary opens with a fairly basic ‘how to roast a duck’ piece (that isn’t too different to how to roast a chicken, previously done). Looks way underdone to me, and gussied up with flowers to serve…

Four selected for a special class with Justin North – not quite sure what the selection criteria is – Marion, Calum, Joanne, and ? Wondered why Jonathan didn’t get a juernsey given that he was winning most of this week, but North is teaching them how to do pork again,and perhaps behind the scenes he’d made it clear that once was enough!

After the break, George does a confit.

2 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:03 pm }

George did confit duck legs with lentils – a fairly standard classic dish (but useful to know how to do) – until he adds the George touch – dried sour cherries….hmm, I would have thought it destroyed the balance of the dish, not offset the duck’s sweetness.

3 dda { 05.14.10 at 9:07 pm }

I wish someone would actually critique what gary and george come up with. Surely it isnt always perfect.

They could serve up shit and those nonces would say “i like how the pieces of corn bring out the poop flavour”.

4 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:11 pm }

Got the boys off with Justin wrong – its Jake (who seems to have shaved off his hair – another accident?? Or did I just imagine him having some before?) and Daniel, plus Marian and Joanne. Joanne gets to do the cutting on the pork/salting as they learn how to make the crackling all nice. To go with, potatoes and a ‘chacuterie’ jus.

5 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:12 pm }

dda – Wouldn’t it be competitor suicide to actually say what you really thought of G&G’s dishes? I have to say the excesses of praise (and lack of imagination therein) is nauseating.

6 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:15 pm }

The pork he used must have had over 1 inch of fat on it!!
Best crispy skin pork section is the belly section, even layers of fat, skins and meat.

7 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:17 pm }

8:17PM – LOL, the way Joanne looked at that chef, is like, “Yeah, eat me..” LMAO.

8 Muru { 05.14.10 at 9:20 pm }

kate: Apparently Gary sent Marion, Jake, Joanne and Daniel to Becasse because he thought they needed more “help” in the kitchen than other contestants. I’m baffled as to why he sent Marion though, if it was really for that reason.

9 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:27 pm }

She seems to be the best at maintaining a look of sycophanic worship, perhaps needed to balnace the boys blank faces….

But not clear why Daniel needed ‘help’ – he seemed to do a pretty good job. Last time they seemed to send the two top and two who needed to learn the relevant skill (like cutting sushi) – so should really have been Skye who escaped the need to get G&G’s hints on how to cook duck given that she allegedly did the best job last Sunday…

But I think Jake and Joanne probably did get picked on the basis of needing cheering up!

10 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:34 pm }

8:32PM – stop keep asking Gary, the chef knows how to talk.

11 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:35 pm }

Now onto an southern Indian curry with guest chef Kumar – not a style of curry making I’m familiar with so interesting. And just as we’ve all suspected, seems George has never seen fenugreek before!

12 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:36 pm }

dda – LOL @ your comment

13 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:48 pm }

Love the look of that prawn and okra curry, one certainly worth trying. Though sounded like it was pretty hot judging on Jonathon’s careful (but less than enthusiastic) comment.

And sounds like Gary marked Jimmy down for having a blackened chilli in his dishes….now knows its not a mistake!

14 Jenny Draut { 05.14.10 at 9:52 pm }

RR-whatever happened to votings for all contestants??? hows my favorites fair?????? eg: Alvin, Marion & Claire

15 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 9:56 pm }

Last up, George supervises Carrie on a Creme Brulee that will set….with a few hints about the desirability of having someone to help you making it at crucial points in the ideal world (pity Joanne isn’t there to hear it…).

16 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:57 pm }

kate – lol, love you last comment (#15)

17 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:58 pm }

8:58PM- Perfect Italiano ad, so lame.

18 TDK { 05.14.10 at 9:59 pm }

8:59PM – George goes “..and then, we’ll blow together”, mahaha.

19 dda { 05.14.10 at 10:03 pm }

“It’s not hard is it?” you dick, gary.

20 Muru { 05.14.10 at 10:07 pm }

I like it how Daniel was sitting with the other contestants watching George make his Creme Brulee, and then he and the other three from Becasse burst through the door after George is finished. Geez, the editing is terrible on this show.

I must say, I like it when Gary and George act “normal” in the Master Classes. Their cheesy, scripted lines throughout the week just irk the hell out of me sometimes.

21 Reality Raver { 05.14.10 at 10:29 pm }

Jenny Draut – Alvin was the most popular with 90 votes, next Marion with 66, and then Callum 56.

Claire got a respectable 27, and Daniel clearly does not read this blog and did not even vote for himself, as he got zero votes.
But it is really not his fault as we don’t see him on the screen.

Kate (Not That Kate), TDK, dda, Maru your comments make me feel I watched the episode.

22 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.14.10 at 10:36 pm }

And now we have watched (vicariously or otherwise) this weeks run at the shops – duck, baby blowtorches, channa dhal and okra!

23 rusty { 05.14.10 at 10:39 pm }

speaking of editing, I could have sworn I saw Courtney (or someone with blond ponytail) at the beginning of the episode, just as they all filed in …

Then I was one “be-ootifull” watch at Justin’s. Between him and the besotted Marion/Joanne, it made have made about 30 appearances.

24 Injera { 05.15.10 at 12:16 am }

Oh, wow – what an awesome commentary! You guys are the best, and that’s not the duck and pinot noir talking.

dda – I want to be there when somebody says “i like how the pieces of corn bring out the poop flavour”!

TDK – I want to see a screen shot of Joanne’s look.

Kate (NTK) – please tell me you’re kidding about the fenugreek…

TDK – “..and then, we’ll blow together” was about what exactly?!

Muru = agree that the Gs are better in the masterclass format.

Thanks again for the highlights!

25 TDK { 05.15.10 at 2:28 am }

Injera – here you go: – let me see if this works

26 TDK { 05.15.10 at 2:29 am }
27 TDK { 05.15.10 at 2:32 am }

Oh guess what, I think I’ve got her name wrong, it was Joanne, but I named the file Courtney, oh well.
Well, anyways, I must admit, I don’t like her, but she’s just seems too happy to be there compared to the others.
The second link shows you the amount of fat on that piece of pork.
Although Justin did cut most of it off when he was serving it though.

28 Airwalk { 05.15.10 at 3:36 am }

Justin’s pork needed a wax rather than a massage typical hairy Aussie pig….love the comment re: the G’s being ‘normal’ during Masterclass, if only they could be like that the other 5 nights of MC during the week-although their orgasms over their own dishes are tiresome. Thanks for posts…entertains me. And Marion seems like a real cool person as well as a good cook, hope she goes well or wins, she is MC 2010 Justine

29 rusty { 05.15.10 at 9:37 am }

It IS Courtney in the class last night. No one else has that hair

30 rusty { 05.15.10 at 9:41 am }

The photo in the post before doens’t show the date but It definately is Courtney in the photo from last night’s class (the date is in the top left corner)

31 TDK { 05.15.10 at 9:49 am }

rusty – I think we may be refering to the wrong girl in the wrong class lol.
The girl I was referring to was in the Justin’s “class”

32 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.15.10 at 10:02 am }

On fenugreek – yes Injera, Gary fondled the fenugreek and smelt it, getting in Kumar’s way as if he had never seen it before (while Kumar looked on bemused). Perhaps it looked different in daylight?!

He also made a particularly silly comment about how few spices are really needed to make curry, to the effect that Jimmy had persuaded him that no less than 30 would do, whereas here was Kumar making do with only thee or four – though in fact by the end K had used fifteen ingredients by the end for a very simple curry okra and prawn. And clearly Gary had forgotten the earlier lecture about regional differences….oh well, perhaps the series is educating G&G a little bit, even if they are slow learners.

Next thing we know fenugreek will appear in George’s lasagna recipe.

33 rusty { 05.15.10 at 10:21 am }

TDK, lol

I’m not referring to your girl in Justin’s class and the mis-labelling of your photos.

I ‘m referring back to my earlier post regarding the poor editing and that Courtney – the real Courtney – is apparently present in the masterclass after she has supposedly left the show.

34 TDK { 05.15.10 at 10:28 am }

rusty – ah, now makes sense, lol.
KNTK (excuse my abbrievation but I am too lazy to type the whole thing out, although this explanation would may as well be many folds more efforts than actually typing your display name out) – agree Gary was very annoying poking his words, hands, face, what the heck the whole of his annoying self into what is supposed to be a segment by the Indian chef!!

35 Muru { 05.15.10 at 11:32 am }

rusty – Wow, that has to be the biggest editing blunder yet.

36 Injera { 05.15.10 at 12:24 pm }

TDK – Thanks for the pics! That look spoke volumes. As for the pork, it definitely looks more fat that meat. I’ve just picked up some belly for dinner. Mmmmm.

And Rusty, excellent pic of Courtney at the Masterclass.

Kate (NTK) – it does seem from the comments here that for Gary there is a dish called “curry” and so therefore there is “a” way to make curry. Better throw out my Madhur Jaffrey curry bible, then…

37 Real cheffing { 05.15.10 at 2:14 pm }

Is it wrong for chef to be intrigued by a new ingredient? By doing he so he sets a good example to the contestants. When confronted with something novel they should carefully analyse and reflect on it. Will Carrie now be actually to cook a Creme Brulee rather than fawn over someone else’s?

38 TDK { 05.15.10 at 3:32 pm }

Real cheffing – it’s not wrong. There’s no wrong or right. It’s just annoying, he won’t let the Indian chef finish his sentence. It’s annoying, and somewhat rude.

39 sourkraut { 05.15.10 at 4:21 pm }

Thank you 10 for getting a proper Indian chef to do a full detailed demonstration of Indian cooking! I will keep that segment on my video collection. Pity this segment showed up how one dimensional the masterchf judges were. As I’ve said b4 they obviously know very little about Indian food and I ssuspect other Asian food.
The rest of the show was poo. I especially dont like semi-cooked pork with a 1 inch (25mm to young punks) layer of fat. At a conference dinner I went to recently that was the main course and about 50% of the people attending refused to eat it! Also blanched cabbage leaf as the second vegetable, you must be kidding! If that is French food you can stick it!

40 Pollywaffle { 05.15.10 at 5:46 pm }

Needed some alkaseltser after the fattyMC Masterclass duck x2, fat with pork, creme brulee. Gawd, fresh green salad anyone?

Why are we stuck with the french is soooo superior Masterclasses. Both Matt Moran and Neil Perry would be ozzifying the classics and presenting some very contempary food. Why are the Gs stuck in the 80s?

There was a lot going on in the show but if you like fatty creamy heart- attack- on- a- stick foood it was for you.

Bothered me somewhat that duds were able to wag the Masterclass- this year the show seems to reward duddiness

Gary hogging into his duck made me physically ill. George hovering for a taste was another queasy sight – do these guys get a weekly cholesterol check as they are looking mighty chubby this year.

Georges origami thingy- gondola contraption was very weird – unecessary kitsch. I think he believes he is showing off skill, sad.

Poor Indian chef – maybe he had a rambling tendency that Gary felt he had to curb, or was it shock horror, his accent might not be easy to understand on the tele OR did both George and Gary go overtime in their spots, yeah likely – there wasnt too much bouncing around for once which tends suggest they were under the pump. Whatever the reason it looked so rude, really priggish about the spices – Gary, the Brit hopefully not drawing upon the colonialistic attitudes of the Mother country.

41 sourkraut { 05.15.10 at 6:33 pm }

Pollywaffle
Very accurate last observation. I see we agree re french food and yes didn’t everything other than that delicious prawn/okra Kari (“‘what is Okra” said Gary apparently quite seriously? You are Kidding!) look greasy/queasy or sleazy?
I still have seen no evidence that this highly touted group is any more talented that those from MC1 except perhaps for the risotto king (cant remember his name) and Sam

42 Injera { 05.15.10 at 6:40 pm }

Real cheffing – I’ve got nothing against learning and discovering new ingredients and techniques. I guess I just assume that pros are going to know more than me and it disappoints me to see their feet of clay. Although there’s another – probably more plausible – explanation than “they don’t know these things” which I’ve noted below.

Pollywaffle – wish I’d seen the origami!

Sourkraut – please tell me you are joking about the okra?

Okay, here’s my take. The masterclass is for the viewers at home and so they can’t assume that everyone will know what various ingredients are. Unfortunately they’ve decided to resolve that by having the Gs play the stand-in for the curious home-cook, rather than, say, have them phrase it like this: “Okra’s an unusual ingredient. Can you tell us more about it?” or “I don’t use fenugreek in my cooking – what does it add to the curry?”.

That would satisfy me.

43 kate (not THAT Kate!) { 05.15.10 at 7:38 pm }

Injera, I suspect you are right to at least some degree about why the gaucheries, and your suggested phrasing would certainly do the trick. Apart from anything else, Gary’s ‘what is okra?’ didn’t quite jell with the fact that Jimmy had done a crab and okra curry a few weeks back!

All the same, the tasting comments and attitudes from last season and this do suggest G&G have shall we say, only a superficial acquaintance with non-European cuisines. I agree its good that Ten are making up for this through guest chefs – but they also need another judge with a bit more knowledge on this (will be interesting to see how Matt Moran goes).

The selection of dishes they chose for Masterclasses and many of the pressure tests/cook offs though continues to bemuse me – I totally agree on the unappetising nature of big hunks of roast pork fat, and the heart-attack inducing dishes they are focusing on under the guise of ‘classics’ one should know how to cook. What the show has demonstrated more than anything else I think is that dining at one of these top restaurants should be a very rare treat in the interests of your health, not something one should seek to emulate in everyday cooking!

I actually do quite like French food in moderation (though I prefer the regional cuisines, especially from the south which actually are quite healthy – viz the Mediterranean diet) – but so far they haven’t done one french dish that I would actually be interested in cooking for myself.

44 sourkraut { 05.16.10 at 5:00 pm }

Injera
sadly i am not joking He did say what is Okra!
Kate NTK
eggwhite egree (Strine) I think the geegees are only comfortable withe French and Italian and of course Greek. I see next week contestants have to cook a schnitzel without a recipe, that should be quite interesting as its quite easy to stuff it up if the meats not beaten properly first and the cooking time is not correct.
GEORGE Please show us in the next masterclass how to cook that magnificent Greek roast lamb which melts in the mouth YUMMO!
As a creature of habit I order that very often from Diethnes in Sydney, a fave haunt of mine.
Read the Sydney herald on Saturday and the TV critic David Dale must have been reading my posts. Word for word almost of why the show annoys me (as an over 55 viewer (old fart!))

45 sourkraut { 05.16.10 at 5:07 pm }