Masterchef Australia Trickery Again Emerges

Peter Rowsthorn has again claimed that when he was on Celebrity Masterchef, the clock was moved back, and also he was able to re-plate a dish.

He previously raised the clock being stopped in an interview in TV Week (See previous blog post on that here). At the time Gary Mehigan denied this occurred.

However in the Daily Telegraph article states:

STILL with the cooking show, alleged funnyman Peter Rowsthorn kept the MasterChef re-plating scandal simmering last week, speaking of similar experiences as a celebrity contestant last year.

Rowsthorn told Melbourne radio last week he was also allowed to re-plate one of his desserts and was granted extra time to finish his white chocolate sponge cake.

“I’ve got 30 seconds left. I’m just finishing up and balancing my tuile on the thing, I’m wiping my hands on the tea towel, I look up and the clock went back five minutes.” Rowsthorn said. “I thought ‘That’s unfair!’ ” He claimed he was then allowed to remake his dish after a production break.

“[The producers] said, ‘don’t worry about it. We’ll just re-plate it later’. But that’s the challenge of the thing. To get it done in the time limit. When you do get to re-plate it two hours later, you can do a slower job of it. You can make a better-looking product.

“Part of the pressure of being under the pump, and being a reality show, is you’ve got to get something done to time. I know my second plate was better than my first. So there’s an advantage in plating up again.”

It is interesting that last week on the 7Pm Project that Gary Mehigan said (as reported to me by Injera) that he was the replating of Callum’s that it was all a fuss over nothing, that there were bigger issues in the world like the Gulf oil spill.

So what is Gary advocating that we watch the 7.30 Report rather than Masterchef as that is worthier? Interesting that social issues like the situation in Darfur were not mentioned in the positive pre-show publicity. I cannot remember Gary urging us to donate to Haiti.

1 MolksTVTalk { 05.16.10 at 10:55 pm }

It’s a bit harsh of anyone to claim Celeb MasterChef and the allowances made for them are the same as those made for the ‘normal’ contestants. That said, it’s likely endemic. Not the end of my life if it’s the case… C’est la vie.

2 sourkraut { 05.16.10 at 11:21 pm }

You’ve got 10 seconds left to go. extract digits, plate up. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2.25, 2, 1.75, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1.05 etc etc etc PENS DOWN chop chop

3 ericg { 05.16.10 at 11:36 pm }

HAHAHA! Nice one sourkraut!

Remaking, re-plating and/or allowed time leeway during production break or after the time is up would make the whole reality show a flaw.

We may think we know this reality show, but the more we watch it, the more we do not know what is coming up next.

Gary and his comment on 7PM Project (though I did not watch that) was unacceptable. Why? Because the final price is a claim of the title MasterChef and some cash for whatever the contestant would like to do with it, then it is every right of its viewers to make a fuss over the “untold” behind the scenes’ actions, especially actions resulting to negative impacts. After all, what is the connection between cooking and oil spill?

4 Tracey { 05.17.10 at 12:16 am }

Garry also stated last year that he was there when Chris B was accused of cheating, despite later the proof that he did.
It appears that Garry will say whatever is required of him.

5 Pollywaffle { 05.17.10 at 1:19 am }

replating – (it feels so cheap and tawdry), but what does it actually mean? that they wack original concoction onto a clean plate, merely shift it around to look more edible on the original plate and/or get to add more things to improve overall appearance.

There is replating, then there is deplating and then, superplating, not sure we have the ALL truth on this quite yet. Presumably there is also time to go and pick flowers, but thats another story….

6 Banter { 05.17.10 at 11:12 am }

It’s ‘Reality Tv’, not a doco. Anyone that expects it to be untampered with would also believe that Elvis is set to be a celebrity judge

7 TDK { 05.17.10 at 12:33 pm }

Banter – on that note, TV as a whole, is fake.

8 Reality check { 05.17.10 at 12:41 pm }

Channel 10 can do what it wants with the prize money. They paid for the production and last time I looked it was free-to-air.

9 dmc { 05.17.10 at 1:58 pm }

I’m sure there’s a ton of fudgery, I just assume it’s reasonably applied to all contestants so that someone doesn’t get an advantage. As they are a bunch of simpering whingers, I am sure they would kick up a stink if someone got favoured treatment.

10 Wurstsemmel { 05.17.10 at 2:27 pm }

No, sorry, Banter. Elvis lost out to Michael Jackson. Watch for the week where Pepsi is featured in the Mystery box.

Oh, and tide begins it’s turn for Matt Preston who just picked up a w*****r of the year award. Their words not mine. See:

11 sourkraut { 05.17.10 at 11:42 pm }

Wurstsemmel
What took you so long to realise it?????????????????????????????

12 Reality Raver { 05.19.10 at 12:12 am }

Wurstsemmel – Has Matt Preston fallen off his pedestal? Ralph magazine are funny when they do these awards. Gave a particular good swing at bloggers last year. Something like have a thought will write about it.

Banter – hilarious

DMC – agree if there is stuff like this allowed it has to be applied evenly to all contestants.

Sourkraut – I think you are right on those 10 secs. LOL

MolksTalksTV – Peter R must have thought it was unfair – but then that is what happens when put an ABC person on a show.

EricG – good point

Reality Check – yes you are right they can do what they want.