Masterchef Australia – Were The Families Not As Random As They Pretended To Be

Masterchef Australia this year is starting to look faker than Paris Hilton’s …..personality. In last night’s challenge as wonderfully recapped by Injera here, the two teams had to find a random family in Coles Chatswood.

There was some comments speculating about whether anyone’s kitchen would be camera ready to have a crew come and film it, let alone the opportunity to replace all those manky wooden spoons in the second drawer. However,  most viewers would expect they would give them a day or so to clean up.

However a person on Facebook has revealed that she photographed one of the families and says they were from an agency. Were these families cast for this challenge? I have made enquiries and will update when I get a response.

I particularly agree with the person who said it is was interesting both teams were able to find a family of five.

Read the excerpt below.

Masterchef Australia is being known this year more for its reality TV trickery rather then the cooking.

Thank you to Fiona for alerting me to this.

UPDATE: Fremantle Media has responded and said the selection of the families were random.

1 Jen { 05.20.10 at 1:47 pm }

Very interesting indeed! Looking forward to hearing how they respond to this!

2 sourkraut { 05.20.10 at 2:25 pm }

just as i said!
screamingly obvious
Master chef… humbug bah!

3 ericg { 05.20.10 at 3:10 pm }

Keep me posted, keep me posted!

Thanks, RR!

4 Muru { 05.20.10 at 3:58 pm }

I was actually thinking the exact same thing last night – that the families weren’t as random as made out to be – but it was more of a conspiracy theory than anything. The possibility that those families were cast from an agency makes sense though.

Honestly, this should come as a shock, but amidst all these other controversies surrounding MasterFarce Australia, it doesn’t.

5 Paul { 05.20.10 at 4:25 pm }

Yes, that 2nd family were straight out of central casting, weren’t they ?

Showed barely any personality, not exactly tv friendly & gave the viewers basically nothing at all.

All those families on casting agencies books & Ten manage to choose them. Brilliant work !!!!!!

Honestly, the gullibility of people who believe this dribble never ceases to amaze me.

6 kate (NTK!) { 05.20.10 at 4:58 pm }

Hmm, I’m all for entertaining conspiracy theories, and the producers are certainly not above manipulation, but I think it is far more plausible that in between the family saying yes and the actual cooking starting, they were given some time, or more likely an agency was called in to clean up their places.

At the very least, it was a family dinner cooked in the evening as far as we could tell, while the shopping was done in the morning, and they were only allowed an hour to actually cook.

And the agency thing might have come about because apart from anything else presumably some sort of contract had to be signed in relation to who was responsible what, agreeing to what they were letting themselves in for, etc (what if Jake had dropped another knife on himself, who would have been liable?).

And as for the selection of nice houses, me thinks those with houses that didn’t want to be shown on national tv were the ones who ran a mile when they saw the teams coming…

7 Paul { 05.20.10 at 5:08 pm }

Summed up perfectly, kate (NTK))

8 Fides { 05.20.10 at 5:27 pm }

Nothing would surprise me about this year’s MC. MasterFarce indeed.

I had a dream last night about Coles Chatswood (my local Coles), where all the MC action seems to take place, and that I was staking out the place to get MC spoilers for this blog… In my dream the final two were Adam and Fiona!

9 Lucy { 05.20.10 at 7:21 pm }

Ahhh…the magic of Television eh? :-)
I know for one of the gardening shows that those that work for it send out an email to their mates saying something like, ‘do you know anyone who has a garden with X, Y, Z’ as i used to be on that mailing list. From what i understand it also takes more than a day to get the house ready and filming can go over one day.
So, it would not surprise me if MC did the same or use an agency, after all they need to get the lighting right, make sure everyone is TV presentable, etc.
Wonder if you’ll get a response…

10 Lucy { 05.20.10 at 7:25 pm }

Opps forgot to add. You’d then have to send photos in (by deadline) and wait to see if you were picked.

11 sourkraut { 05.20.10 at 8:14 pm }

Jen
See Paul’s post

12 Nonnymouse { 05.20.10 at 9:44 pm }

not casting. more than two families said yes and the ones with the most suitable houses for space and filming were chosen. end of story. no conspiracy.

13 Paul { 05.20.10 at 10:35 pm }

Nonnymouse,

That makes far too much sense.

Surely Ch Ten deliberatly chose the blandest family they could possibly find from all the casting agencies. That seems far more plausible….LOL…..

14 ericg { 05.21.10 at 10:36 am }

Random selection of families? Suitable houses for space and filming? No conspiracy? I bet Channel TEN could do better in the selection criteria, of course. Yea? Yes! Agree with Paul.

kate (NTK!) – Channel TEN should have Public Liability Insurance covering all staff and contestants. They would be liable for Jake’s injury (high chance of knifing himself!).

15 KC { 05.21.10 at 10:05 pm }

Its reality TV – not reality. Who cares if they were cast – the aim of the show was for the contestants to cook something for the families they “found”- the rest is irrelevant

16 kate (NTK) { 05.22.10 at 2:59 pm }

Yes I’m sure they do have public liability insurance. But equally, if it was my house they were coming into, I’d want to in writing lest the cooks burn the place down.

And I imagine Channel Ten would want something saying they agree to be filmed, will claim no share of the revenue, etc etc.

Just makes sense from a legal perspective….