Philip Vakos Eliminated But Hoping To Stay On Our TV Screens

There is some controversy surrounding Philip Vakos being eliminated, as news.com.au saying it is Coles fault he was in the elimination challenge in the first place.

News.com.au writes that if the filo, which had been on the shelf at Coles had not been out of date and he and Callum had been able to make the spanokopita then they may not have had one of the two worst dishes of the challenge.

Personally I think it was a bit of bad luck, but something that must happen in kitchens all the time, it is just a pity they could not recover from it.

Anyway Philip who apparently spent the weeks leading up to his appearance on the show dieting, and exercising, which resulted in a 16 kilogram weight loss, would like to have his own travel and cooking show.

The Daily Telegraph writes:

Dubbing himself Australia’s answer to The Naked Chef, the swarthy Greek bachelor is eyeing his own travel and cooking show after being booted from the food contest last night.

“I’ve got my eye on the prize and when I put my mind to something, I know I can achieve it,” Vakos, who lost 16kg before appearing on MasterChef,told Confidential yesterday.

“The thing for me is that there’s nothing more I want to do than a food, cooking, travel show. This is what I really want so I can’t count myself out.

“I give everything 110 per cent so in this case I’m going to do the same thing.”

Channel 10 rep said that while Phil is a “talented cook and he may well have a bright future in TV ahead of him”, “there are no current plans for a solo venture”.

Meanwhile, Coles, a major MasterChef sponsor apologised after Vakos and fellow contestant Callum Hann were sold expired pastry sheets.

“The pastry from last night’s show did not meet our standards, which was very disappointing,” Coles spokesman Jim Cooper said.

Philip is hoping his appearance on this reality show will give him the profile to make a career change, which is one of the reasons people go on these shows. However I think if he had practiced cooking prior to the competition rather then going to the gym for four hours a day he may have lasted longer on the show.

1 Zoe { 05.21.10 at 1:57 pm }

Dude wants to be Geoff Jansz when he grows up.

He doesn’t respect or understand food; his highest analysis of any dish was that “it tasted pretty nice”. And he’s up himself, as we saw from the very moment he and Peter entered the room they shared at the house and he immediately grabbed the nicest bed without any discussion.

2 Heléna { 05.21.10 at 2:07 pm }

I’m still shocked that they did not edit out the pastry being out of date – I would be furious if I was Coles

IMO Carrie should have gone – we call her Bambi in our house – (she always looks like a deer caught in headlights) and really does not seem as capable as any of the other contestants including Philip

3 Pollywaffle { 05.21.10 at 2:29 pm }

16 kilos? he must have been a little butterball. Did he get his shows mixed up?

The ‘ Live Grandma’s dream’ story is looking VERY shaky now because it was so believable before.

4 sourkraut { 05.21.10 at 2:39 pm }

Phillip, thanks for the “miserable French stew ” comment..loved it.
However you CANNOT by definition give more than 100%!

To all aspiring Restaurant owner contestants out there, please take a look at Hells kitchen. Its not so easy running /owning a restaurant, and the piddling bit of training you get from the gee gees would not be enough to stave off bankruptcy within 2 weeks, unless you had an excellent accountant. Also if you intend to be head chef, the hours are long, the kitchen is hot and the proper training would be at TAFE and then work as an Aprentice somewhere first. Consider also that your most busy time is the weekend and suddenly your social life is blown away.

Stiill to all the gen y characters out there these are minor details and much more fun than your regular jobs, if they still exist after you all dissed them on MC
GOOD LUCK!

5 Laura { 05.21.10 at 3:18 pm }

I’d like to see the before picture!!

6 Anonymous { 05.21.10 at 3:24 pm }

Well, it just goes on to show that he was there for exposure; hoping to get noticed somehow, and bag a lucrative deal. Obiviously, he wasn’t genuinely interested in being a chef or fulfiling his ‘grandma’s dream’. The guy got his fifteen minutes of fame, and I am sure he is happy. As long as worthy contestants are there in the show, I’ll be hooked onto it.

7 Muru { 05.21.10 at 3:27 pm }

“However I think if he had practiced cooking prior to the competition rather then going to the gym for four hours a day he may have lasted longer on the show.”

Agreed. Philip must feel very insecure about himself if he felt he needed to lose weight in order to be “accepted” or “liked” on a reality TV show. What other reason could there be?

Oh well. If it was Coles’ fault or not, no huge loss.

8 Injera { 05.21.10 at 4:12 pm }

I’m intrigued by Phillip’s comment that he was “holding some of his skill back”? Seems very manipulative – setting it up so he could be seen to have made the most progress/had the most growth over his journey, perhaps.

Zoe: Geoff Jansz! How fabulous! BTW, what has happened to him…

9 rusty { 05.21.10 at 4:28 pm }

Apparently the fillo wasn’t out of date, It said, “best before”, which is not the same thing. They should have used it anyway, if they couldn’t come up with anything better than sticking the mix in a muffin tin. I would have, or quickly made some other sort of pastry, lots of butter and rolled out thin so it was flaky. It’s an example of their inexperience that they can’t work quickly come up with alternatives in minor crises.

Seems like Phillip was more about hype than real desire to be a chef. What about all that sob story about doing it for his Gran? More like doing it for the exposure.

I don’t think we ever saw him do anything anyway, of note, so it was a matter of sooner or sooner.

10 Pollywaffle { 05.21.10 at 4:29 pm }

Injera – is the world ready for Phillip to now unleash his culinary tsunami? Ironic a Greek got trumped by ‘off’ filo!

wot next, Jonno goes by a vinegary tangine

11 Heléna { 05.21.10 at 5:23 pm }

@Injira – maybe he did not want to bomb – not to worry though there are far better chefs on the show!

I liked Phil only for that time that he soldiered on when whats her name walked out on the show …

12 Kaylen { 05.21.10 at 6:32 pm }

I liked Phillipe for his body! As I mentioned in an earlier comment: unfortunately, he can’t cook for donkey nuts. 😛

Oh well! He can stay on my T.V. screen as long as he wants. 😉

13 Jenny Draut { 05.21.10 at 10:02 pm }

weight loss before the show is good, it goes to show people are being responsible for their health, i respect Phillip for that.

obesity in this country is hard to ignore…looking around the streets…plenty fat people hanging all out…

14 Heléna { 05.21.10 at 11:24 pm }

oh yes and that too Kaylen! :)

15 KC { 05.22.10 at 12:15 am }

He’s not interesting enough TV personality wise to be a host of his own show…

16 Kaylen { 05.22.10 at 1:27 am }

KC – the show I’m thinking of, doesn’t need personality. Fortunately for him, it looks like he’s got everything else though. 😉 😉 😉

lols.

17 Airwalk { 05.22.10 at 3:23 am }

I don’t blame him for flashing his body if he has really just lost that amount of weight, well done if its true

18 Injera { 05.22.10 at 8:55 am }

Pollywaffle – I hadn’t even noticed the Greek/Filo connection. How perfect!

Helena (I’m sorry, I can’t figure out how to insert the accent) – One of the differences between this MC and the real (original) MC is the fact that this is far more a “reality” show where that is a cooking show. I truly hope that the others aren’t “strategising” when it comes to their contributions! He did show grit in that episode where they were left high’n’dry by the cop… I’d forgotten that.

19 Reality Raver { 05.22.10 at 8:59 am }

Well Philip might get laid from being on a reality show. Something he will be pretty happy about.

20 sourkraut { 05.22.10 at 12:35 pm }

Raver
As in laid to rest?

21 Reality Raver { 05.22.10 at 12:40 pm }

Sourkraut – exactly

22 Wurstsemmel { 05.22.10 at 1:15 pm }

weight loss before the show is good, it goes to show people are being responsible for their health..

I think this was more about wanting to get picked up for a tv series….A Greek Curtis Stone sot to speak……It’s obvious now his time on the show had very little to do with cooking and more about getting a foot in the door.

23 Jenny Draut { 05.22.10 at 2:35 pm }

indeed!!! thats exactly why he said he wanted to do cooking/travelling show…

I wonder whether ABC would be interested…surely they are looking very closely on MC on the “talented” somebody or worse “most interesting individual” and yet have a camera face….

24 Wurstsemmel { 05.22.10 at 3:01 pm }

After all, SBS picked up “The ImPOHster”.

I don’t Philip has done much (other than look cute) to warrant such a gig though. Personality wise, not much came through, cooking wise…ditto. In fact, it’s hard to pick anyone..except maybe Alvin if only he could recover his mojo….who might be good for that kind of thing.

Actually, I could think of a couple of contents I’d put up for the job………as long as it involved a one way ticket!

25 Pollywaffle { 05.22.10 at 3:41 pm }

theres bound to be a reality show about Phil seeking a reality show

26 Jenny Draut { 05.22.10 at 4:56 pm }

hahaaha!!

i really dont think he could last long in the “reality”….

27 cynic, who moi? { 05.23.10 at 10:16 am }

If they are so passionate about working in the food industry why didn’t they give up their jobs/whatever years ago to follow ‘their dream’?
Please…they are all there for a chance to be on TV, win a cash prize and release a cookbook at the end of it.
For those that don’t win but really do want to cook, they hopefully get to either bypass all the stuff the apprentice chefs have to go through, like the long hours and rubbish pay for years or walk straight into another job in the industry.
Good luck to em.

28 Gillian { 05.23.10 at 12:38 pm }

Phillip pictured in his underwear in a mainstream newspaper is all sorts of wrong. I don’t think he’s intelligent enough or interesting enough to be able to host a TV show. It’s a shame because before he decided to shed his clothes, he had the public’s respect. Give us more credit.

29 Wurstsemmel { 05.23.10 at 1:14 pm }

He did?

Mind you, it’s probably a better move than appearing in the clothes that he wore in the exit interview.

And…if there had to be one semi-nude Greek from Masterchef, let’s just be glad it wasn’t George!

30 Gillian { 05.23.10 at 1:27 pm }
31 sourkraut { 05.23.10 at 4:00 pm }

Cynic etc
Why would you want the non-winning contestants to be able to go out into the cheffing industry with only the “miserable” little bit they learned on MC?
If I go to a restaurant I would like to think the chef is either well trained, (properly) or has YEARS of experience, before I parted with my hard-earned cash for some experimental MC inspired Gen Y rubbish.
Let em learn proper like!

32 Pollywaffle { 05.23.10 at 5:23 pm }

I hear Phil has been approached to host a new cooking show:
Muzzachef

33 Gillian { 05.23.10 at 7:12 pm }

I agree Cynic. For a lot of them, this is a quick shortcut to fame and fortune. Most of them are not interested in starting at the bottom and doing the hard yards which is why they revert back to their old careers which is the easier option for them.

34 cynic, who moi? { 05.24.10 at 4:36 am }

Oh no, my bad. The ‘hopefully’ wasn’t for me.
I have worked in this industry for too long (i don’t work in the kitchens so it’s not a case of sour grapes) and know how hard people for whom it really is a dream, passion, goal etc work to hope a bunch of non-winning contestants to walk into a top job. I’ll even admit that i think the winner should also continue putting in the hard yards before they get to put out a cookbook but then if DH can do it? Sigh.
I should have written ‘they probably hope to bypass…’ which i sincerely hope they do not, however in this celebrity, fame driven environment i am not getting my hopes up.

35 sourkraut { 05.24.10 at 10:38 pm }

Cynic etc
that’s wot I thought you meant .
The classic case of your last sentence was Poh.

36 Pollywaffle { 05.24.10 at 10:49 pm }

Skt, Poh did about 6 movies before MC1, and had a brief career as an artiste while she was waiting for the next thing – real happy to take on any role , note emphasis on ROLE so a good fit for MC