Survivor Heroes V Villain’s – Sandra Wins- Did She Deserve To?

Well what would the kiddies have learnt from this undeniably fantastic season of Survivor, that to be a baddie will get you further in the game, with the final three all being from the villains tribe.

However as Rupert said the lines were blurred between the two groups.

I wasn’t unhappy with a Sandra win, and I think they edited the show to make sure we were satisfied with the result. She showed that she tried to make strategic moves to get rid of Russell a lot of times, but no one came to the party. She said everytime people were running off telling him. Something we saw Candice do.

She also said to Rupert they could get Russell off just the two of them but not let Colby in on the plan, because she had been done over so many times. Her plan was to give Rupert the immunity necklace she had found.

I think if that move had panned out she would not be sitting there with a million dollars.

Russell was always going to be taken to the final three as who wouldn’t want him sitting there with him. His social play is far too poor and it is an important part of the game. Also his strategic play is a mixture of intimidation and lies, something that does not really garner much admiration.

However to be fair to him, he did play back to back Survivors and when he was on Heroes V Villains he did not know whether he had won or not as the Samoa live finale had not occurred. He may have thought he had been put on the subsequent season because he had won. Therefore why he looked so disappointed when he lost that time.

In Jeff Probst blog on the  final episode he said if he had been on the jury he would have voted for Parvati. She had a strong case to win,her tribe had wanted to vote her off week one, she gave away two immunity idols, and she is a strong physical player. But she had aligned with Russell which made her halo slip somewhat. I don’t know why Russell thought by telling her he was taking her to final three and then blindsiding her was going to make her vote for him.

But at least Jerri did not win, as I thought she did not play any strategy at all, and really did ride Russell’s coat tails. And Colby was pretty mediocre, and I am not sure whether Sandra’s theory that he was doing badly on challenges as a strategy was true. He just never looked like he was mentally or physically in it.

JT won the dumbest move in Survivor history for when he gave Russell the idol, and surprisingly Russell won fan favourite. Which for some reason gave him some validation that he was the person that should have won the season. In fact Russell came across as a complete egomaniac at the reunion show, and did not look like there would be many people wanting to stay in contact with him.

The other person in the running for the $100,000 was Rupert, and I was glad he did not win. He seems to start believing the hero crap and what a great guy he is. His game playing was not fab except for putting the rock in his pocket to pretend he had the idol.

Survivor is the third highest rating show on TV here with over 10 million viewers, so there will be another season and it will be in Nicaragua, which will be hard to live up to this season.

1 par3182 { 05.26.10 at 12:41 am }

Watching Russell sit there as the final votes were read out, obviously aware that he couldn’t win, made sitting through his annoying reign of dickishness this season worthwhile. And then watching him whine like a child that he didn’t get his way was even more satisfying. For him to think Sandra couldn’t get a vote and Sandra (out)playing him like the virtuoso she is made her a worthy winner.

Hell, she deserved it just for burning Russell’s hat.

Russell and Parvati’s fatal mistake was keeping Sandra when they booted Courtney; watching Sandra survive week after week was incredibly satisfying and they were foolish not to realize how effective her “anyone but me” strategy is.

Well played, Sandra. Two million dollars AND a hot husband. Fist bump, girl.

2 TDK { 05.26.10 at 12:44 am }

I liked Sandra’s straight forward talks, so I don’t mind her winning.

3 Bee { 05.26.10 at 8:39 am }

Glad you cleared up that Russ didn’t know if he had won/lost the first series he played before starting this one – we were arguing about it last night. I wonder if he would have played a different game if he knew from the first time aroundd that his style does not win him jury votes.

Don’t agree with JT’s move being the dumbest – riskiest, yes. But if it had worked out & there was an all girl villain alliance it could have been a good move. Eric giving away the necklace though…

I’m happy with Sandras win.

4 TDK { 05.26.10 at 8:43 am }

Why would they start a new series when the result of the first wasn’t revealed yet?
Do they have to rush it so much?

5 Wurstsemmel { 05.26.10 at 11:22 am }

Very happy with a Sandra win. Like her style.

6 Anthony { 05.26.10 at 11:32 am }

What a dissapointment to a fantastic season. It made me puk to see such a bitter council that totally took the game personally for being out played. It made me puk to see Sandra win. It not about what your husband does for a job or who the players wont to stay in contact with afterwards.
I was 20 years special forces in Australia and have been a particapant and co-ordinator of survial courses.
Parvati and Russell were the true surviors.
Sandra got there from being naturally hopeless in all aspects.
Thats a big lie that it was her strategy to be hopeless and lazy in all aspects of the game. Thats the best she could do.
Who idea to vote out Russell completely failed as she had no skill set to execute her big mouth idea. I though she come across very arrogant at the reunion. It would appear they way she talks as having a fairly low IQ.
Jeff Probst did a brilliant job as host. I agree with who he personally thought should have one. He was being polite as a host at indicating that Sandra was a undeserved winner and Rupert is shallow.
I think Russell had some pretty relevant points at the reunion.
The game is survior big mouth Boston Bob not who is socially the biggest suck at getting on side with a bitter jury that takes thing personally.

7 Ursa { 05.26.10 at 12:07 pm }

Bee, I agree that Eric’s move was the dumbest, no question. JT’s not even close.

I’m happy with Sandra’s win. Despite what Russell says, luck has always been a big component of the game. Like, lucky for Russell JT gave him an idol, or lucky for Russell Jerri is biased against Rob, or lucky for Sandra that Russell’s dumb enough to think she wouldn’t get votes, despite Parvati realising it and telling him so.

And, Sandra earned those votes through her gameplay. They weren’t votes against Parvati and Russell, they were votes for Sandra. I believe that if Jerri or Colby were up there instead, Parvati would have won for her excellent play. I would have been happy with a Parvati win, I think she should have won Player of the Season for the most well-rounded game.

I love that Russell got no votes, but still thinks he’s the best player ever and it’s just the game that’s flawed. No Russell, the game is not flawed, your gameplay was flawed. Jeff was right when he said that the game Russell thinks he’s playing is not Survivor. What’s that saying about blaming your tools?

8 reality raver { 05.26.10 at 12:48 pm }

par3182 – the burning of Russell’s hat was gold, considering he buried the machete to try and create mayhem which did not occur. And the fact that it flustered him fabulous.

Bee – agree Eric gave the immunity necklace away for no reason.

TDK – I am not sure about filming but they do two or three series a year. It is huge in the US. So the finale is live, so by the time they finish edit the show spread it over three months another season is shot. It only takes 35 days or so to shoot a series.

Anthony – I agree with some of your points but not others. Ok so Sandra’s attempts on eliminated Russell did not work did not work, but it was not her fault. Candice flipped for some dumb reason, and in fact Sandra survived after her alliance knew she had been sneaking around. I think the thing we have to remember is the jury does not see the footage we see, and that they are going off their interaction with the players, what they see at tribal council and they final speeches from the top three.

I might add I admire the ones who are weaker in challenges that make it through as it is harder for them to survive the early rounds.

Wurstsemmel – I was not unhappy with her win.

9 reality raver { 05.26.10 at 12:56 pm }

Ursa – I think you are right would about the jury dynamic, Parvati might have won if Jerri had been up there or Colby, as both of the were pretty lame this season. Likeable but lame.

10 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 05.26.10 at 2:20 pm }

To keep a show fresh and interesting for 20 seasons is an astonishing feat. The fact that I was thrilled and surprised constantly throughout this season shows how well they produce this show. I’m really happy Sandra won. If the winners always were the smartest, strongest or most cunning it would get stale quickly. Sandra admitted she’s a fan and watches what works and doesn’t – and whether her game plan “succeeded” – she won – that’s the main thing.

Jeff Probst, great host. Keeping that reunion on-track, fiery and interesting would be damned near impossible, yet he and his cute dimples managed it beautifully.

Bring on the next series {oh, and Channel 9 – let’s keep it on at the same time each week huh?)

11 sourkraut { 05.26.10 at 2:33 pm }

perverti must have promised
jiffy a blow job. otherwise how come the last 3 moo nitty challenges all involved delicate balance, something she had demonstrated ability in during her 2 previous survivor schemozzles series. that effectively stopped russel getting rid of her and the the other undeserving conniving clown.
Ran out of ammo for the handy dandy tv destroyer etc gadget and the tv is disabled,will have to steal my son’s tv to watch the other crap program to night.
thats it. absolutely no more survivor for me EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Fiona { 05.26.10 at 4:50 pm }

Major point that Russell didn’t have the advantage of knowing that his brow-beating style didn’t win him a single jury vote on Samoa, so he was severely disadvantaged. Would he have changed his style anyway? Probably not. A bit of flattery goes a long way with these people who think they are pretty hot, arrogance does not win friends I’m afraid. I feel bad for him, because Sandra did exactly what she did last time – anyone but me, I’ll write their name down. She flipped all over the place, she was more a target than last time but she still stayed under the radar. Russsell should have voted her out earlier but I guess he needed her votes against the heroes. Parvati is definitely the definition of survivor, and she tried pretty hard to deflect any bad things she did onto Russell. I’m constantly amazed at Final Tribal Council how the jury get so upset about things that were done to them, they didn’t have to vote the way Russell said every time – if they didn’t like him why did they listen to him? Human behaviour is pretty interesting, which is the enduring appeal of Survivor I suppose.

13 Izobel2 { 05.26.10 at 5:59 pm }

Hey Sour I thought of you when your bestest gal “Duz-Whine” won! Even my husband said if she wins then he’s never watching again… And this was his first viewing season! I bet you were on vomit patrol when all that Courtney & Duz-Whine lovin was floating about tribal…

14 Neil { 05.26.10 at 6:38 pm }

A lapsed survivor fan, but saw the tail end of the previous season and evil Russell sucked me into the current season.

It was a great season and I really felt that Parvati should have won. Image if she and Boston Rob had a baby – wow what a competitor s/he would be!

While I love Russell and his antics, he is sadly delusional and bordering on being a sociopath. Loved it when Sandra burnt his hat at the end. I suspect he wanted to auction it on e-bay at some stage.

Also love Coach (little man). I suspect everything he did and said was done with an eye on getting his own TV show at some stage.

Also enjoyed Jeff Probst column. Very good writer and brings an up close and personal insight into the players and their tactics.

15 sourkraut { 05.26.10 at 11:56 pm }

Izobel 2
Just couldnt bring myself to even watch the voting. 2 of the 3 people in the entire 20 odd series of survivor that I detested most were in the final 3 (and I dont mean russell)
At least russel was open about what he was. Duz whine did nothing but whine and the only reason she got to the last 3 was that arsey idol find. As I said pervi was given a golden run by having 3 immunity contests that were set up for her abilities. At least I guess she won moonity, more than did whine ever did. First out every time. Even useless Cerie was better.
I FEEL SORRY FOR AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 par3182 { 05.27.10 at 10:45 pm }

At least russel was open about what he was.

So was Sandra when she told Russell she was against him.

Well, that’s not true. She played that idol at final six, even though she didn’t need to (it was four votes to Rupert). At final five Colby got booted, and at final 4 the choice seemed between Jerri and Parvati.

17 sourkraut { 05.28.10 at 12:03 pm }

Par3182
She still did nothing but whine. I feel sorry for her husband.
Also she was totally useless at anything to do with challenges, providing food, working round camp…. Yep real deserving of $2M. no wonder this world is F#$%^ed with people have attitudes like that. Ie I deserve to win because i am the most conniving bitch under the sun and i’ll sit on my fat arse and do nothing. GREAT!

18 RarelySeen { 05.31.10 at 1:22 pm }

Where do I sign up? I will be crap at physical challenges, crap at strategy but I will sure have a lot of fun – for the 1 or 2 weeks of my time on Survivor. I’m very glad Sandra won. Agree with Par3182 re hot husband too.