Masterclass Australia – How Many Anomalies In That Taste Test?

“I came here to cook,” said Marion. I was hoping that she was implying that when/if she is eliminated that she will go on her cooking and not like she Courtney did and be eliminated because she over elaborated on an ingredient.

So Marion teared up and handed in her immunity idol, which I bet her fellow contestants are pretty happy about.

If she hadn’t handed it in I probably would have been screaming about a conspiracy that the dish in the taste test, a Thai Green Curry, which with her thai heritage would give her a huge advantage in the challenge.

Or maybe they put it in so she would be kicking herself for handing in the pin. Winning the immunity pin is a much better prize than being taken out of the competition and placed as unpaid labour in some restaurant. Something I am sure Season 1 contestant Julia Jenkins would agree with. However she did manage to get a TV show called Delish, which Injera has reviewed on her blog Blah Blog Blah.  She makes an excellent point when she writes: What reason do we have – apart from recognising their “celebrity” – to tune in, and to trust their advice?

Anyway back to tonight’s episode the “I want to take over from Eddie McGuire for unnecessary long drawn out pauses Award” now goes to George Calombaris and Matt Preston. I mean seriously Helen Keller could see the baby corn in the dish.

I also thought there were a few anomalies with the tasting.

First Joanne’s kaffir lime answer.  Lucky for her it was only the third ingredient in as she was given the chance to elaborate and she stuttered out kaffir lime leaf. When they turned the judges were thinking we have another 10 minutest to fill. Ironically I realised later that answer probably was correct as there were other kaffir lime parts in the curry.

Speaking of that why did she have to specify thai basil, but not the lime zest was of the Kaffir variety?

Also why wasn’t coconut cream and coconut milk counted as separate ingredients?  As the different parts of the kaffir lime plant were.

And seriously George needs to calm down,  what was with the “There is a reason why you are one of the top amateur cooks” comment  to Joanne when she said there was green chillies in the green curry. I think even the 4 Ingredient disciples would know this.

Poor Jake he guessed wrongly with palm sugar, and was eliminated and I felt extremely sorry for him. However I would put my money on him to be one of the few contestants from this year who will actually open an eating establishment. His fish burger shack is a great idea and extremely achievable.

UPDATE: Also just read in the Daily Telegraph that Rick Stein has offered him work experience at his South Coast restaurant Bannisters.

1 wallah { 06.04.10 at 12:26 pm }

Tell me about it RR, I used to think he was dirty old hippie as a kid.

2 pollywaffle { 06.04.10 at 12:51 pm }

Is it true Jake’s working at ” The Poop Shute” at Mollymooks

3 sourkraut { 06.04.10 at 2:36 pm }

Cmon folks
Play nice. I don’t agree with most of Paul’s comments but sew wot? Its good to hear the otherside of the taco ((When ar we gonna see Mexican food? I cant wait to see a combined chorus of “Ariba, ariba, andolay, andolay, eeehah, eehah (Geo thaurus: “it would be appreciated if you increased the velocity vector”) from the jedges)). We dont want to end up in a censored society if we remove everythink we dont like. Simple soln is if you see the name dont read the post if it upsets you

4 Katya { 06.04.10 at 3:00 pm }

In the begining Matt made a point of saying that the dish had all the classic Thai elements – salty, sour, hot, etc and sweet, so there was obvioulsy sugar of some sort in it. And given it was supposed to be a traditional recipe I was sure they would have used palm sugar, and not do what I do sometimes and bung in brown sugar if I can’t be botehred getting the microplane out. They definitely should have shown us all the ingredients, as I really do want to know what they used for the sweetness.

5 Anonymous { 06.04.10 at 3:22 pm }

Jake should have referenced this one…problem no palm sugar either. I had palm sugar on my list and think the contestants should write down the ingredients maybe ala survivor style, one per page and they draw them out and unveil them so they can keep the crap suspense going(you know all the obvious ones that they all get right then whittle it down and its the 2 that get the most right who stay in not the first to say kaffir lime bollocks instead of zest, juice, pith, leaves or essence wrong)…or maybe show more of Red Lantern cooking and the like.
But Matt has tweeted this recipe http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/stories/s2790332.htm

6 MelbaToast { 06.04.10 at 4:34 pm }

This episode was SO boring I actually started knitting a scarf…

7 pollywaffle { 06.04.10 at 4:48 pm }

Email from the Melbourne Food Show tells me the Gs are performing in the celebrity theatre today – whats new?

8 whirlpool.net.au { 06.04.10 at 4:54 pm }

Jake shouold have referenced this one…problem no palm sugar either. I had palm sugar on my list and think the contestants should write down the ingredients maybe ala survivor style, one per page and they draw them out and unveil them so they can keep the crap suspense going(you know all the obvious ones that they all get right then whittle it down and its the 2 that get the most right who stay in not the first to say kaffir lime bollocks instead of zest, juice, pith, leaves or essence wrong)…or maybe show more of Red Lantern cooking and the like.

9 Injera { 06.04.10 at 8:07 pm }

Whirlpool, I definitely think the writing down ingredients is the best (fairest) way to do this, but they do seem quite committed to this process, don’t they?

MelbaToast: knitting scarves sounds like a good use of your time.

Katya: I want a microplane!

10 whirlpool.net.au { 06.05.10 at 3:29 am }

Peters of Kensington have microplanes at a reasonable price(look online if not in Sydney) although I bought one in the USA(for a friend I was stayinig with) at Wholefoods for less than $10 … microplanes are fabulous