Masterchef Australia Continues To Be The Golden Child

Masterchef Australia is going from strength to strength with huge ratings nudging the two million mark, and also a lot of money rolling in around it. The Daily Telegraph states the whole franchise is worth the same as a third world nation – $100 million. The Masterchef magazine is also doing fabulously well with 180,000 copies sold in its first month and pulled it in just under $1 million in cover price alone.

The last show that was this huge was Big Brother, and this show as a wider demographic appeal. So expect to see at least another couple of seasons of the show, and further interest from overseas. I would be interested to know if Poh’s show had been sold to the BBC, as Season 1 rated well over in the UK.

Anyway great news for Ten, and Fremantle Media and anyone connected with Masterchef Australia. I must confess my blogging stats are up because of the increase interest in this reality TV show. Hopefully some of the new readers will stick around for some of the other reality TV shows.

Also in this week’s TV Week they had little vignettes about some of the contestants.

Here is what they had to say:

– Openly gay Alvin – who shares a room with Skye, Marion, and Claire – admits he’s found it harder to bond with the boys.

“I don’t really get on with guys at the best of times,” he reveals. “I’m not into cars, football or beer, so I often don’t have much in common with them. Sometimes I feel like an outcast among them, but they don’t make me feel that way – it’s more my issue.”

– Everyone agrees that Marion is the one to beat in the competition.

She’s amazing and as a brilliant understanding of the balance of flavours,” Matthew says. “Everyone has bad days, but Marion has a lot of good days!”

Marion, however, insists, “I don’t know where eeryone gets the idea that I’m the favourite! Every day is a struggle for me. Anyone could beat me tomorrow.”

– Single Matthew isn’t hoping TV exposure will land him a girlfriend – in fact, quite the opposite. “I’m worried that being on telly will mean chicks start throwing themselves at me!” he says. “I’m looking for Miss Right, no Miss Right Now!”

– Something of a generation war kicked off when the cooks first moved into the house. “We have a real group of gen Y-ers here,” Peter say of Callum, Matthew and Sharnee. “They’re like a tornado when they step into the kitchen, and they leave their stuff everywhere.”

And the messiness has certainly got to Jonathan. “Jono’s so funny – he cracks it,” Peter laughs. “He’ll kick them up the butt, but then we all laugh about it. At first, I don’t think Matt, Callum and Sharnee knew what to make of it, but now they laugh- and they pick up after themselves too!”

all the contestants insist that there are no romances brewing in the house this season. “No one is remotely interested in anyone else in that way,” Alvin says. however, some of the guys have decided which women will make great wives. “Everyone adores Claire and Marion,” Peter says. “the boys joke about how they’re great marriage material.”

Personally I find the last paragraph a bit depressing – what is great marriage material? That they can cook and clean up after them?

1 dda { 06.08.10 at 7:04 pm }

So…. matthew is gay too?

2 KC { 06.08.10 at 8:00 pm }

Matty not wanting a girl right now doesn’t necessarily mean he’s gay. Alvin is so cute though I just wish he was consistently good and not have really awesome weeks and really low weeks.

I LOVED the Jono comment 😀 I mentally pictured him berating the Gen-Yers and actually kicking their butts and watching them clean up after themselves :D:D:D Jono’s awesome!

I still miss Peter a lot though…

3 Fides { 06.08.10 at 8:10 pm }

Matthew’s hair is channeling Justin Bieber so if he’s going have a bevy of screaming tweens after him, yeah he better run.

Wonder how intimidated Alvin felt cooking in front of those guys the other night.

4 Buzz { 06.08.10 at 9:11 pm }

I really enjoyed this show (tues) and liked the good sportsmanlike feel and the little break from absorba-boy … will be quite happy to see him back tomorrow.
Go adam and aaron! Oops, I forgot bout thekiss of death … go sharneeeeeee!

5 seepi { 06.08.10 at 10:08 pm }

I wonder how they choose the rooms?

I noticed Callum is in a bunk bed – one day they showed him studying a recipe book in bed, squashed into the bottom bunk = looked a bit primitive, but he seemed comfortable.

6 Heléna { 06.08.10 at 11:21 pm }

that sounds so cynical! :p – probably Peter meant that they are both great looking girls, who are really lovely bright and intelligent and would make great partners – I bet most guys would think that, even if the girls were not their type

7 sourkraut { 06.08.10 at 11:23 pm }

Raver
you are really leading with your chin, but, Gent that I am, I will not tap it, even though the stress within my feeble mind is nearly overriding the bodies desire to make a sarcastic comment!

8 Reality Raver { 06.08.10 at 11:40 pm }

Helena and Sourkraut – I am just wondering why he said wife, not girlfriend. Is there still some differentiation between who you might date and go out with, and who you would marry? I thought the Madonna/whore complex was now obsolete.

KC – I too loved the Jono comment young adults straight from living at home = nightmare.

Fides – Maybe Alvin was intimidated and that is why he had a brain explosion and named the dish ‘cows grazing by the paddock’!

DDA – not getting the gay vibe from Matthew but then my gaydar used to be spot on, but not so much anymore.

Seepi – I think the rooms are just negotiated. Apparently Joanne has slept in a lot of different rooms because snoring etc.

9 sourkraut { 06.09.10 at 12:15 am }

raver
You’re picking on me! not Naice. i said i would not make a sarcastic comment and I didn’t, but I forgive you anyway!

10 sourkraut { 06.09.10 at 12:18 am }

Fides
If the Hollywood stereotypes are even vaguely correct, Why would Alvin be intimidated? (Course shock, horror, revelation, Hollywood stereotypes are NOT always correct!)

11 AT { 06.09.10 at 12:25 am }

Callum, Matthew, Sharnee = the new kiddie squad?

i think that was mentioned alot for the younger contestants in early-mid last season?

12 pollywaffle { 06.09.10 at 12:39 am }

Jonno would be the Kitchen nazi – alphabetically ordered spices, dishwasher stacked just so, and Pleeeeease dont mix up the organic and regular flours!!!!

13 Culinary Boner { 06.09.10 at 12:35 pm }

Raver,
“Great marriage material” would equal cooking, cleaning, ensuring the fridge is stocked with cold beer, laughing at all of your jokes and nodding sagely at your boring recounts of the day’s events, demuring to the need for the the tele to be tuned to footy and the like 24/7, no slobbing out in trackies or being seen without make-up and, of course, being up for daily rumpy-pumpy, while appropriately attired in designer lingerie.

Clearly the boys in the MCA dorm are seeing a more complete side to Claire and Marion than we are seeing.

14 Maz { 06.09.10 at 12:45 pm }

In view of Channel Ten’s ability (or any commercial network for that matter) to run a franchise into the ground, I am surprise we don’t have MC Up-late a la Big Brother UpLate hosted by Gretel…

15 Akai MPC - MPC2000xl – Beat Making By Golden Child video { 06.16.10 at 5:23 am }

[…] Masterchef Australia Continues T&#959 B&#1077 Th&#1077 Golden Child | reality ravings […]