Masterchef Australia – Three Chefs, Three Dishes, No Meltdowns.

Adam and Aaron were taken into mini kitchen stadium and given a Chairman Kaga pep talk by telling them last week they Β were boys, but were now fighting gladiators. Seems they skipped the men part.

The challenge tonight was pretty tough, and the person who won did deserve immunity.

They had 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete three top chefs requested dishes. Matt Moran kicked it off lemon tart, and the tough part was they would not have a recipe. Matt Moran decided to mine fuck them by saying to them that took you guy’s ten minutes, I thought it would take two.

He also was bemused when they started separating the eggs, and queried their style. This probably saved them from having a complete disaster. Also Aaron who had been copying Adam’s technique, should have learnt that cheating never gets you anywhere. Also I was amazed Aaron had not ever tasted lemon tart, it was THE dessert of the ’90’s, and now resides in every cafe and patisserie in Sydney beside the portuguese tarts.

Just as they were settling into that dish, in walked Kylie “Cook from the heart” Kwong and her requested dish was silken tofu with mushrooms. Adam was fairly confident about the dish as he knew how to make it.

Lastly Ian Curley from The European came in and told them they had to cook Chateaubriand. Interestingly enough they both knew it came with a bearnaise sauce, but then they are the best amateur cooks in the country. Ian did give them some assistance by showing them they had to bash out the meat.

I note during the challenge the peanut gallery were not allowed to yell out. Β I would have loved to have seen the dishes without the chef’s assistance, particularly the tart, as Matt had to remind them to blind bake the pastry.

It was a pity the episode was not a bit longer as I would have liked to have seen more of the cooking. I don’t think I saw Aaron’s tofu dish at all.

Adam showed he was a meticulous and organised cook, and Aaron’s work station was chaotic. His bearnaise sauce looked like glue when he was spooning it on to the steak.

In a nice change the three guest judges cast the votes for who would get the immunity pin. And they only judged on the dishes they had requested. Matt voted for Adam saying it came down to the pastry, and Aaron’s pastry was undercooked.

Kylie’s vote went to Adam, she thought the tofu was cooked perfectly, and his flavours balanced.

Ian also voted for Adam so he convincingly won the pin, and deserved to.

Will they be able to force the pin out of Adam as quickly as they did Marion?

Also tomorrow nights molecular gastronomy challenge looks like it is going to be very entertaining.

1 dmc { 06.08.10 at 10:55 pm }

Does anyone really buy this ‘best amata cooks in the country’? These guys were dreading even a simple pastry, one of the very basics of cooking. Unbelievable. A million grannies out there are shaking their heads in wonder.That said, Adam did a good job in the end. I agree that this episode needed to be longer.

2 rusty { 06.08.10 at 11:01 pm }

Can you believe two of the best amata chefs in Australia hadn’t a clue how to make a simple tart? And I thought Matt Moran asked for a lemon curd tart, not a lemon tart. Where was the butter? the subtle extras like zest and vanilla?

Too much advice and help from the chefs. As the series goes on, Aaron looks less and less like a gladiator and more like Little Boy Lost.

3 NT Kate { 06.08.10 at 11:01 pm }

Yes agreed that it was a deserved win.

Some of the contestants clearly didn’t do their homework on which basic skills they needed based on last year – and pastry making was well and truly one of the most important. And even if he hadn’t worked that out, he should have run back to the house and practiced his pastry making after losing to Maggie B. Seem to recall a masterclass last season covering lemon curd as well…

I do wonder though why they’ve suddenly ditched the celebrity chef cook off format – no more chefs willing to front up, or do were they just determined to get an immunity pin or two into play?

4 Anon { 06.08.10 at 11:03 pm }

Did anyone else see Matt Moran exchange glances with Kylie Kwong in the background?
Share everyone’s incredulous disbelief that neither Adam nor Aaron were unfamilar with lemon tart and disappointment that it was a short episode.
Wish they would do a Kylie Kwong and Matt Moran Masterclass.

5 sourkraut { 06.08.10 at 11:08 pm }

Agree Raver
Pretty difficult test without recipes. Set me thinking. Half way through, had I been doing the cooking, I would have just said to my opponent “this is too much like hard work, Let’s each just relax and cook em muck and one of us still gets a Guaranteed iron clad cast iron died in the wool gen u whine Immunity anyway” Would have been worth the admission price to see G&G’s reaction to that!

George. Is it coincidence that your quoted ratio of 3:2:1 is the recipe for making CONCRETE? (3 stone, 2 sand,1 cement, add water and fold gently)
WELL DONE Adam. Proves what I have said b4, this guy can cook, and is NOT ONE-DIMENSIONAL!
Anyway Geo gets to pin the moo nitty medal, made out of bronze from the cannons captured during the siege of Sevastopol (look it up Gen Y historically challenged people) onto the noble breast of the “foo fighting glad patatas” ( knives and tridents (forks) at 2 paces)
ONE OF YOUR BETTER EPS 10, but lose the 5 minute intro blather session.

6 sourkraut { 06.08.10 at 11:14 pm }

Anon
Certainly agree a Kylie Kwong masterclass would really be MASTER class and different from the usual blah blah blah.
NOT convinced about Matt M though Not really interested in learning how to cook desserts such as lemon tart or 50 cent sized pieces of meat on a 600mm diameter plate with arty farty sauce around it!

7 Fides { 06.08.10 at 11:16 pm }

Well that was one of MC’s change of formats that actually did work. I enjoyed that episode, not only for the end result (loving Adam more and more) but it was actually exciting. Nice to have the guest chefs be the judges too – MC needs those kinds of changes more often.

I thought Kylie Kwong was worried they’d completely overlook her stirfry with her “hey guys, don’t forget you’ll need 10 minutes…” . Could she taste who cooked from their heart more? Did it show through in the final flavours? I just don’t know what that really means, but she always says that … I remember in CMC last year that was her advice as well when the celebs had to cook her signature dish.

So glad Adam snared the pin. His blog shows he’s got quite a depth and breadth of knowledge, not just in Asian cuisine, and it also shows how meticulous and methodical he is. So I was crossing my fingers Aaron would lose his head a little while Adam would manage to keep his cool.

And from tomorrow night’s previews, looks like Aaron and Adam are on different teams – both captains I wonder? – but I’m relieved because Aaron won’t be able to force Adam to relinquish his pin.

8 anonymous { 06.08.10 at 11:22 pm }

Yesterday there were whingers about eh girls getting tooo much help with the shucking.

do the same whinges apply to help for a mere tart? a little frothy sauce? a bit of tenderizing??

9 Suzanne { 06.08.10 at 11:31 pm }

Laughed at george’s gladiator coment – with both of their little top-knots I would have gone with samurai! Glad that Adam won, he seems like a nice guy.

10 Wurstsemmel { 06.08.10 at 11:41 pm }

A-mmunity tine again.

I should be feeling sorry for the ‘little boys’ about to become gladiators but I’m distracted by George and left feeling sorry for him as he can only afford one bead on his Pandora bracelet.

For all those who find Matt Moran hot, hope springs eternal when he blatantly declares ‘I want a tart’

Meanwhile the ‘fighting food gladiators’ are looking dumbfounded. One thing is almost guaranteed…. The tarts are going to be lemons.

Winner was fair but did either deserve ammunity? With all the help they got? I think not.

BTW did any one notice Claires vicious sweepover? And Marions puffy shirt. Must be conspiracy material here surely.

11 Zibb { 06.08.10 at 11:41 pm }

actually disagree about the immunity pin being deserved. The challange was hard to perform, but it wasn’t that hard to win, because one of them had too, as sourkraut said. I think beating the celebrity chef is a lot harder and makes you more deserving of the pin. That said, I really enjoyed watching this episode, I think the change of format worked well, though I would have prefered it if immunity was not garenteed. It would be great to see a celebrity chef challange that didn’t contain the chef’s signiture dish, but probably no many chefs would be interested. I think the round face of would be really interesting with a chef facing a contestant.

12 KC { 06.08.10 at 11:46 pm }

Adam totally deserved to win but dude…this challenge was tough! I also would have liked to see more of tonight’s challenge, because you really didn’t get to see them cook Kylie’s dish or Ian’s dish.

I don’t cook so I don’t know but is pastry a definite know-how in the kitchen? But I always thought if you don’t cook cakes and pies then what else is that kind of pastry needed in? This is something I really don’t know so I’m curious πŸ˜€

I’m starting to think Aaron is slipping from the top of the crowd only because he’s a really good cook but is a bit more limited in food knowledge compared to some of the other contestants and doesn’t work his best under intense pressure. Still supporting him though and since the beginning, I’ve been a Marion and Aaron fan so that’s not going to change πŸ˜€

I can’t wait for tomorrow’s challenge! Molecular Gastronomy seems interesting and something I’d want to learn about so I think I’ll be recording the episode πŸ˜€ UGH BLUE TEAM OR RED TEAM??? Wouldn’t Jono’s team have the advantage th

13 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 12:01 am }

DMC – dishes looked alright in the end but did we see all six?

Rusty – imagine the disaster if they did not get helped.

NT Kate – I think it was a one off I think the celebrity cook off will be back next week.

Anon – No missed the look between Matt and Kylie. This pair doing a masterclass would be great as long as it was not his stuffed cabbage recipe which was in the papers this weekend.

skt – that would have been hilarious if they had pulled the go slow on the challenge.

Fides – Yes they need to keep mixing it up a bit.

Anonymous – I don’t think there should have been help in this challenge.

Suzzanne – lol the top knots they could have been sumos

Wurst – aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh I missed the tart line goddamn it. I did notice Claire’s sweep over look. Maybe she was pissed she had to stand for 90 minutes.

KC – does jono actually do molecular astronomy?

14 KC { 06.09.10 at 12:10 am }

I dunno…He does some kind of molecular thing I remember reading somewhere. But I’m probably wrong on that aspect πŸ˜€

I reckon that two of the peanut gallery clapping cuts were exactly the same.

15 pollywaffle { 06.09.10 at 12:19 am }

Dude where’s my guaranteed immunity pin?

Whats next a free Immunity pin in every handee wipe pack?

G on the balcony – that was symbolic. G needs to keep his proportions of food looking teeney tiny

16 pollywaffle { 06.09.10 at 12:29 am }

Wurst : Claire’s sweepover was noted.
Awaiting her complete N. Kidman transformation( think ‘The Others’) – it will be complete when we hear Sharnee holler from the balcony – “Are you mad, I am your daughter”

17 sourkraut { 06.09.10 at 12:41 am }

Raver; re jono
He didn’t study astronavigation in the isotopes for nothing you know (with apologies to my other all time fave comedian Harry Secombe)
Pollyw
Is that when she discovers Darth Vader aka Chris B is her daddy?

18 seepi { 06.09.10 at 12:45 am }

Claire’s hair was a bad look – she should let the curls go free.

Adam and Aaron’s matched topknots are a little weird too – is that the style these days??? (Like when all the young cricketers suddenly had designer facial hair.)

Anyway – I loved this challenge – much better than trying to beat a celebrity chef, which is fairly unlikely really, and almost unfair on the poor celeb when it does happen.

A clever choice of dishes too – most contestants have specialised in either desserts or asian flavours, but not both, so lemon tart and deep fried tofu would have thrown most people.

19 Wurstsemmel { 06.09.10 at 12:52 am }

Ah RR, you might have got trampled in the rush…..

Pollywaffle, you may have just put your finger on why I can’t wa to Claire. If only the “little boys” had been asked to cook a ‘Sunday Roast”, along with George and his cry of “australya’, we’d be on a rolel

20 Fides { 06.09.10 at 1:15 am }

Pollyw – too funny as always re Claire’s Nicole K transformation. And you know what, I was thinking the other day that Claire did look like a big sister to Sharnee. If Sharnee is ever in need of a disillusioned lawyer mentor, Claire would be first choice.

Also, did anyone notice that George pinned the little immunity pin onto Adam’s shirt. When Marion won, she had to pin it on herself – poor George missed his chance to cop a feel.

And I want a plate with my name on it. Just FIDES – and hope my dogs don’t get confused.

21 Airwalk { 06.09.10 at 1:22 am }
22 CG { 06.09.10 at 4:33 am }

YEAH!!!!!!!! Best episode of the season so far!!!!!

I am disappointed Aaron is not a better cook…but this is exactly the type of challenge they should be having every week to smoke out the real cooks from the imposters.

I wish the G’s and the celebrity chefs gave them NO HELP or ADVICE…and we got to see what they turned out, it would have been a real disaster.

What a bunch of crapola: best amateur cooks in Australia???????Haaaaaaaaaa!! I’m quite shocked about how little both Adam and Aaron knew about some pretty basic elements and dishes. MC2 is so focused on product placement, ad revenues and creating cute scripted comments for the judges (G,G and M) that they seem to be oblivous to the original objective of the show and the brand: find “the best” amateur cook in the nation. At some point, the concept is going to wear thin because it just isn’t credible and will be insulting to many. Ha!

I’ll stick with my original wager on Aaron – until he is eliminated, ha! – but how disappointing he didn’t have a clue about basic things like shortcrust pastry and bearnaise sauce… wow, just wow. That said I reckon only 2-3 of the people in the remaining group of contestants could pull off all three dishes without any assistance (Jono, Marion and maybe Claire).

Ha, Pollyw. I’ve thought Claire has been trying to channel Nicole Kidman since the beginning..both in dress, her annoying demure act and over-the-top acting and waterworks. Like Kidman she fails as an actress and is nothing more than an attention-seeking twit and a maneater.

Speaking of lawyers, too funny Adam took time out to write down his plan of attack.

23 wallah { 06.09.10 at 8:30 am }

Maybe Adam watched Roksaburu Michiba on Iron Chef too much….that guy would write out his menu in Japanese calligraphy before he started cooking.

24 librarygirl { 06.09.10 at 9:47 am }

I loved the top-knots too Suzanne!
I would rather have seen the tofu plate being cooked and assembled than seeing a hunk of meat browned in the pan and plonked in the oven.
I liked the circular station and the chefs sitting watching, for something different. And the borrowing from Iron Chef.

25 seepi { 06.09.10 at 11:10 am }

I was disappointed not to see the tofu cooking too.

I dont’ see claire as a maneater, but I guess you never know. I think she and Nicole Kidman are just part of the Sydney private girls school crowd. all that beige and coutry road (middle of the road) type clothing.

26 Culinary Boner { 06.09.10 at 11:15 am }

Tonight showed that both Aaron and Adam, and presumably the most of the rest, probably should’ve trained for their MCA appearances by starting at one end of Larousse Gastronomique and finishing at the other ensuring they have mastered the basics in terms of pastry types, sauces and iconic classics. Sure MCA is going to make them prepare Asian and other cuisines. But they will generally get a recipe for these. Agree with the other comments here. I thought this episode was a major embarrassment to the concept that these are best amateur cooks in the land. My memory may be dodgy, but last year’s lot – and in particular Chris Bad’enuff and Justine wots-‘er-name- seemed to have a better grasp of the basics and clearly had ‘frame recipes’ in their head that they could draw on. As opposed to just being good at cooking the stuff you or your family like to eat at home on a nightly basis.

27 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 11:25 am }

In today’s paper Adam says he won’t win as he does not have the cooking technique required. Which if that is the case it will be down to Marion, Jono and Claire.

Pollywaffle – she does have the Nicole Kidman facial expression down pat. Somebody send her a nose prosthesis and she might win a logie next year for best new talent.

Seepi – the dishes were not too difficult to be unrealistic but still presented some hurdles to them. Agree Great TV.

Wurstsemmel – I am not buying the Masterchef mag until Matt Moran is on the cover just wearing an apron. Bugger Curtis Stone, I have never seen his appeal.

Fides – I was also wanting to see a shot of Gary limping, but that must have been why George got sent like a lackey to do the honours. Couldn’t have George pin it on Marion as his head would probably only come up to her breast area.

Airwalk – thanks for the link, I am not sure it is really a spoiler, it is just saying one of the contestants is currently still in the comp, which I interpreted as being still on TV. Though by them being there it may indicate they are now not. Oh who knows?

CG – big call on Aaron, he slid down in my opinion I don’t think he has great knowledge on the basic classics. But then I would have put my money on Peter last week and where did that get me?

Wallah – LOL. A couple of the iron chefs are in Australia. Fingerscross Fremantle got them for a challenge, that would be the high light of the season, actually the highlight of both seasons.

Library Girl – I liked the judges comments, and banter – it must be off putting to the contestants. They would have seen that Aaron was in more trouble then the early settlers. Did he plate up all dishes.

28 CG { 06.09.10 at 11:38 am }

RR: I am not voting for Aaron based on last night’s performance…I am sticking with my original vote because I don’t think “one” should change their horse in the middle of the race. I now don’t think Aaron will win…but boring to vote for Marion…who by the way bears a striking resemblance – looks and personality wise – to Kylie Kwong…and yes, I know, Marion is not Chinese. Maybe its the glasses and jewellry?

Seepi: I see Claire as a “maneater” not in an overt Angela Jolie or Lara Bingle way, but in a manipulator – like that girl on UK Apprentice who has busted up three marriages. I think Claire gets what she wants in her own Pymble Ladies College kind of way…and yes, I know she is from Melbourne and not Sydney but I don’t know any private school reference in Melbourne.

29 MelbaToast { 06.09.10 at 11:49 am }

I am sure that Claire’s quiet demeanor (or boring-ness) is a result of her lawyer-ish occupation. Perhaps she’s so reserved as she cannot exactly go into court/the law firm whooping it up like she works in a Hooters Bar. But then, some people are just quiet and reserved like Jake.

I feel a bit sorry for Aaron – he’s not having a good trot of late, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him win. I’d like to see anyone but the possessor of the lucky plait win!

I thought it was pretty funny how the new circular kitchen was referred to as being “in the round”…like we’re at the Opera or something…

30 CG { 06.09.10 at 11:50 am }

Boner: Agree with your comments re there were more “cooks” in last year’s crew who knew more cooking basics than this year. Chris B., Justine, Julia and even Julie seemed to have basic concepts down and I can’t even remember the others by name: surely that Greek grandma had most of the basics, and maybe 1-2 others. Whereas this year we can only think of 2-3 at best. I think the issue is (**warning, warning “conspiracy” theory coming up**) MC2 very clearly has gone for the younger demographic to optimise their advertising and sponsorship revenues. The average age this year must be at least 10+ years younger than last years top 20/24? Clearly there would be a huge pool of great cooks if they looked in the 50+ age group but that isn’t the target demo for most consumer goods advertisers who covet the 18-35 age segment because they think that choices and perferences are still malleable.

31 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 12:05 pm }

CB and CG – I disagree I think the cooks are better this year apart from a few. Jimmy, Peter and possibly Adele? I think Courtney is pretty good too.
Sam nearly made top five and he admitted he did not cook prior to going on the show.
Also let’s remember last year’s lot may have looked like they were cooking off the top of their head but I understand they did get the heads up on challenges – hence all the cook books in the house.
I do agree that they are looking for a different type of winner this year.

32 anonymous { 06.09.10 at 12:10 pm }

Melba Toast,

Peter is a lawyer and Sharnee a law student and neither of them are quiet reserved or boring (hmm, not sure about that last one for Sharnee).

It’s nothing to do with Claire’s occupation and all to do with her natural personality. I’m not sure if she is a conscious manipulator, but she sure knows something works.

Having said that, I prefer her to the GenY trio who look more and more suspiciously like they are there for selling, not skill.

I’d love to see Jono tearing strips off them in the kitchen!

33 CG { 06.09.10 at 12:22 pm }

RR: Agree re Sam from last year: he was a strange outlier, an experiment, I reckon (and Sharnee is this year’s Sam). Are you saying Jimmy is a good cook? Adele, maybe but not Jimmy nor Peter. And look at those who have already departed this year: Philip!, Kate!, Carrie!, Devon, Dominic, Daniel-I can’t-cook-a sausage-roll), Sarah, Fiona!! I would agree Courtney had potential and hope if anyone comes back in it is her. The others…very, very limited talent and cooking knowledge…or even common sense!

34 akris { 06.09.10 at 12:24 pm }

Claire is now a maneater?? Because she doesn’t always show confidence in her cooking or because she cries a lot?? From what I remember, Julie last year often cried, and was always surprised when she won a challenge.. i don’t think she’d ever be considered a maneater?

I think there would’ve been a few watching down from the gallery that would’ve been able to do last nights challenge a lot better.. as already noted.. Marion, Claire, Jono.. they were probably kicking themselves..

35 MelbaToast { 06.09.10 at 12:45 pm }

Well Claire is intelligent and reserved – perhaps this comes across as manipulative, but I don’t really see that from her.

I agree with an earlier comment that the younger contestants just don’t have the years of cooking experience like the older players from last year and this year have….perhaps that’s why most people wanting to be a chef at a younger age are off doing an apprentice not wanting to win a bazillion bucks to set up a business they don’t have the experience to run properly anyway…perhaps Sharnee, Callum and Matt should learn their trade like the rest of the aspiring chefs in the world do.

36 Airwalk { 06.09.10 at 1:05 pm }

I think the idea of the challenge was good, gets them back to basic techniques which then highlights their weaknesses. Didn’t show enough cooking and as they got help, would be better if the guest chefs didn’t sit and watch. In Marco Pierre Whites Hells Kitchen he got the contestants to cook eggs when he first met them, which is a great test and that was repeated in the second episode of the latest HK with GR…this kind of thing is better than following a recipe of some guest chef.

37 Muru { 06.09.10 at 2:21 pm }

This episode definitely wasn’t long enough – it felt extremely rushed. 45 minutes left in the challenge dwindled to 14 minutes in, literally, less than a minute. Crikey!

Also, I don’t understand why the chefs competing in the celebrity challenge arrive after all the other contestants in the peanut gallery have arrived. I’m sure there’s some “logical explanation” for this like all the other technicalities in MasterChef this year – can anybody enlighten me?

38 Culinary Boner { 06.09.10 at 2:23 pm }

Re-Claire…perhaps this is an unfair and unfounded guesstimate of how she works, but the boys should recall what Mel Smith once said in warning to Griff Rhyss-Jones across the pub table in a classic segment of ‘Alas, Smith & Jones’ …”take care, she’ll suck you dry.” … No Griff, not like that. You can wipe that idiot smirk of your face, sunshine.

39 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 2:39 pm }

CG: Just goes to show how disposable these contestants are as I had to look up Philip on the official site to work out who he was. To be fair to Devon we don’t know if he could or could not cook – we never saw it.
I thought Jimmy and Peter could cook, however I did miss 3 weeks of eps. Oh yeah and someone needs to be sacked for Kate’s inclusion in the top 24.
However last night’s challenge would have been a laugh if it had involved Sharnee V Matthew. There would have definitely been fear and loathing from the peanut gallery then. In fact it is a pity Jono and Claire did not win the challenge as it would have been great to see them going head to head for immunity.

Anon, akris, and melba toast – I don’t think Claire is a man eater I think she is being very canny and playing the game a bit.

Airwalk – did you see the challenge on Top Chef where the chefs had to cook an egg dish with one hand tied behind their back?

Muru – not sure why

CB – Very funny

40 Fides { 06.09.10 at 2:41 pm }

I would also have liked to see Jono and Claire competing head to head in that challenge. Jono has had a tendency to get frazzled, and Claire can lose her way too, but it would have been a very evenly matched competition. I’d like to see Claire under real pressure, but not a pressure test because I think the poor girl would be a mess. Though if you can’t handle the heat…

I still like Claire though she can irritate. Don’t think she’s a manipulative man eater at all. She could give her feigned surprise a bit of a rest, but her “I’m hopeless” demeanour I think is a way to protect herself psychologically ie if she herself can pick at all the faults of her own dish, it won’t be so bad when the judges start attacking it.

41 Wurstsemmel { 06.09.10 at 3:16 pm }

RR, we might be able to get you a cover of Matt P wearing just a paella crust. I wouldn’t however recommend stroking it.

42 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 3:59 pm }

Wurstsemmel – ewww

43 KC { 06.09.10 at 6:45 pm }

Curtis Stone is such a cutie though! I’ve never seen him cook I just like his face HAHAHA πŸ˜€ Although Matt Moran’s pretty awesome too. I think I would buy the issue with Manu Fiedel.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

I was reading some of the comments and I came across the one about the Iron Chefs. Before the Masterchef forum spoiler threads got deleted, one of the posters who supposedly had inside info (He was never wrong though) and he said that one of the challenges will have something to do with the Iron Chefs. Now that the thread is gone I can’t link it but its food for thought LOL πŸ˜€

I don’t know…I think we might think last year’s bunch is overall better but there were some pretty bad cooks and I personally think the level of cooking in regards to challenges and stuff seemed lower. That’s not to say that the best cooks last year are worse than this year! I think Justine, Chris B, Julia (IF ONLY SHE GOT TO STAY IN) along with a few more of this season’s chefs are up the top contestant wise. I just think the average bunch of them seem better this year than last year.

44 NT Kate { 06.09.10 at 7:31 pm }

Culinery boner – forget the Larousse, the (admittedly excellent) basics section of Stephanie Alexander’s cooks companion would be enough to get them this far!

Does so make a mockery of the claims that they were looking for people who lived and breathed food…

Perhaps they should have used these type of challenges (viz no recipes but fairly basic/classic dishes) as the elimination challenges earlier on (instead of those all visual ‘taste’ tests for example).

45 auds { 06.09.10 at 8:24 pm }

agrees wholeheartedly with CG

46 Reality Raver { 06.10.10 at 11:07 am }

CG – you have given me an idea for a poll re: which season had the best cooks. Thanks.

KC – I hope your spoiler is correct. That would be gold, gold, gold.