Masterchef Australia Beaten In The Ratings By Australia’s Got Talent

Australia’s Got Talent beat Masterchef Australia in the ratings last night. I wonder why Australia Got Talent barely rates a media mention after the shows pre-publicity, and a few stories about what twats the judges are.

Source of ratings TV Tonight

1 Hear Mum Roar { 06.09.10 at 12:36 pm }

You know, I miss Masterchef. I used to watch the first season quite a bit. I must try to find a way to get reception to that channel again LOL

2 Paul { 06.09.10 at 1:11 pm }

Just a couple of comments on this.

AGT skews very old. For example, in the 16-39yo’s MC was ranked 1st whilst AGT was ranked 7th. Even in the 18-49yo’s AGT ranked 5th so you would imagine it was the over 55s who got AGT over the line. Its really strange actually as you would imagine someone like Kyle Sandilands would turn off the oldies but apparantly he doesn’t. The grey haired brigade do like their variety shows so maybe they just don’t care who is the host/hostess.
That all said, advertisers are generally not after the older demos (especially Ten) so I doubt they would be losing any sleep whatsoever.

Secondly, I believe that last night was the 2nd last night of AGT. With it being a final of some sorts (I imagine – dont watch it personally) the audience should be expected to be bigger.

3 anonymous old fart { 06.09.10 at 2:02 pm }

Poor old oldies! too very old and gaga to even discriminate between the hosties!

Just think, you’re in the “very old” bin from 55 to 95, as far as little twats like Paulie are concerned .

LOL, Paulie! LOL

4 Paul { 06.09.10 at 2:34 pm }

Huh !
AGT does skew old. FACT.

I find some people’s comments on here really strange. Its almost as if they’re offended if anything factual is ever stated to them.

And the Kyle Sandilands factor is curious. You would think he would be a host that would turn off the older demos but apparantly he doesn’t. I don’t know the reason why and its something that a lot of media analysts don’t know the answer to either. Going by his radio show and his general comments you would think that he would appeal to the younger audience.

As far as being in the very old bin – unfortunately when you hit 55 thats the bin you’re put in. Talk to AC Nielsen about it.

5 sourkraut { 06.09.10 at 2:36 pm }

anonymous old fart is not me even though its an apt description.
I must admit I would be amazed if elderly people would ahve any interest in this schlock
gotta go, I can hear my wheelchair calling, it wants me to take it for a leisurely walkies Ha

6 Paul { 06.09.10 at 2:42 pm }

Sour,
I agree. I’m sure when 7 commissioned AGT they never would have imagined that it would appeal to the over 55s. But it does and I have no idea why either.

7 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 2:52 pm }

Paul – it must be the variety aspect, or maybe Kyle reminds them of their cheeky son/grandson.

Anonymous Old Fart – I am happy to have all sorts of different views or opinions on the blog, whether they are subjective or objective. Full and frank debate is what makes this blog entertaining. However, I would appreciate if commenters would attack the post not the person who has posted it. If you feel there has been something offensive in what a person has written email me.

By the way I am happy for people to flame me as it is my blog.

Skt – It must be the same crew who watch Dancing With The Stars

8 wallah { 06.09.10 at 5:16 pm }

Jeezo, poor Paul’s coming in for a lot of flack…..I shouldn’t comment, but I used to have a ratings box on my tv back in the day (I want my stainless steel pen set dammit!), and if those are the figures, then those are the figures. I know my Nanna loves variety shows. And I love my Nanna. And my Nonna loves San Remo when it’s broadcast. And I love my Nonna. I may, to quote Monty Burns, have to ‘Push out the jive, bring in the love.’

9 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 5:28 pm }

Wallah – you are the first person I have ever known who has ever had a ratings box on their TV! Just had a quick chat with someone and they said most of their work place is watching AGT. So go figure.

10 wallah { 06.09.10 at 5:34 pm }

My ex-wife hated it, but we fit the demographic at the time as we were 18-30 and had Foxtel. I dine out on this, but they must have been scratching their heads at the fact that 27 year old males watched the Golden Girls instead of Big Brother….

11 Reality Raver { 06.09.10 at 5:40 pm }

Wallah – maybe they thought you were stoners

12 wallah { 06.09.10 at 6:04 pm }

Possibly…..but my ex being the product of Queensland that she is considered calling the cops on my brother and checking into a hotel when we visited the fam in Adelaide. All because my brother had a stash tin full of da hyge. No wonder I have such a Chris Badenoch drinking problem.

13 KC { 06.09.10 at 6:34 pm }

Is AGT on every night? And what day is it on? I’m not much of a fan and I never watch AGT so I don’t know. But if its on once a week then I’m not surprised it beat Masterchef because I assume that the ratings pullers are the Sunday and Wednesday episodes that most people tune in to. Its just a theory though and honestly I really wouldn’t have a clue about ratings.

14 Paul { 06.09.10 at 10:30 pm }

RR,
I’ve had a ratings box as well – about 10 years ago.

They’re a pain in the arse actually.

15 sourkraut { 06.09.10 at 11:14 pm }

Paul
Who decides who gets the rating boxes?
Also how do the tv cos ensure that they are equally distributed across race, creed, colour, marital status, sexual preference, wealth etc. All of these factors would tend to influence what a person watches, and wealthy families would probably have more than one tv set and each family member watches something different. (therefore 1 meter is not representative) Also how are the video recordings dalt with?
As I said before, there are lies , damned lies and statistics,…..AND POLITICIANS. I just dont believe the ratings system can give even an approximate estimate of what people are watching.

16 wallah { 06.09.10 at 11:53 pm }

I believe the selection was due to the fact I answered surveys and took place in discussions….easy money. I could go on further, but don’t want to wade into something.

17 Paul { 06.10.10 at 9:28 am }

sour,
Bear in mind this was 10 years ago so things may have changed but will try and answer your questions.

No idea why we were selected. The Nielsen guys just knocked on our door one day, asked us some questions and then invited us to take part.

From what I’m led to believe the people with the boxes must fulfill a cross section of the community. Otherwise they’re pretty worthless as they would be biased one way or the other. Its not in Nielsens interests to present biased surveys, as then corporations and networks lose trust in them and won’t use them any more.

You get one box per television set so if you had 4 televisions in the house you would have 4 boxes.

It doesn’t take into account video recordings as it was simply not possible however I would imagine nowadays with IQ they would have some way of monitoring it.

The system isn’t perfect but its pretty good.

Compare that to radio surveys where the people selected have to manually complete a diary each day stating what they listened to and when !!!!!!

18 Anonymous { 06.10.10 at 7:46 pm }

Paul
thanks for the explanation. I’ve always wondered about it.
Still whether intended or unintended I dont see how some smpling bias would not come in with that method. I could go on for ages about the danger of using very small samples and extrapolating them to a very large and very diverse population.

19 Disbeliever { 02.21.12 at 9:20 am }

Always sceptical, now hooked on MKR, but can someone please tell me….”Are these meals ever served HOT ? “