The Masterchef Australia Odds For This Week

I must say Paul you are a brave man – as two of the “high odd” contestants have been rolled. I want my $10 back that I had on Peter thank you very much. I hope you having Jono at $5.00 does not see him get eliminated, as he is currently my fave, as he is a machine. I think they need to darken up Marion’s character to make her more complex – the sunny Pollyanna vibe is starting to get dull.

Here are Paul’s odds and blurb to go with them – start ducking now Paul:

$2.80 : Marion

$5.00 : Jonathan

$8.00 : Claire, Adam

$12.00 : Alvin

$16.00 : Any Other Contestant

$19.00 : Matthew

$21.00 : Callum, Aaron

$31.00 : Joanne

$41.00 : Sharnee

Wow – a big week with two of the fancied contestants (Skye & Peter) both leaving. As a result this means Marion has shortened even further as more dangers have now gone. Jonathan is now the clear 2nd favourite with his great food knowledge and his ability to perform under pressure. Adam had a good week and the immunity pin gives him a big advantage. Claire just keeps hovering away neither really impressing nor doing anything disastrous either. She is just very consistent.

I’m confident that we will see one of the eliminated contestants re-introduced back into the show. However, it might be hard for whoever it is to get themselves back in to the Masterchef groove.

1 Paul { 06.11.10 at 2:28 pm }

Sorry RR,
No refunds policy.

All care and no responsibilty etc, etc…..

2 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 06.11.10 at 2:49 pm }

I’m really trying not to get annoyed, but I swear that I know NOTHING about the cooking abilities of any contestant. I can say that Marion SEEMS like she has a natural ability and good food knowledge, Jono also SEEMS like one to watch – but I don’t know for sure – whereas at least last year I had very firm ideas.

Guess I just have to harden up and acknowledge that it’s an entertainment program that bears not a smidgen of resemblance to its British namesake.

Oh, and finally, this year the MasterClass seems to be showcasing dishes that there’s no way in hell the contestants could plate up in the ridiculous time frames allowed in the challenges. Although that candy-striped dessert looks mighty pretty.

3 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 3:15 pm }

I think Adam should be at $5 and hope he or Alvin wins it!

I would love to see them disappear in the following order (if only to annoy the haters):
Jono
claire
mathew
callum
aaron
sharnee
All the above have been involved in one or more basic MFUs and thus demonstrably have little or no cooking ability outside their specialty field.
A true masterchef should be able to do Entrees, Mains and desserts and should not have to rely on artistic plating to get through. They should also be able to cook a “slab of meat”, something we have not seen yet, and why not? we are told that in some of the eps they are given 3 hours for the cooking. If all that can be edited down to 30 minutes or 1 hour, why cant we see a slab of meat being nuked, or would that offend the artists?

4 Laura { 06.11.10 at 3:15 pm }

I agree, Marion needs a little more dimension to her character for her to be an interesting contestant, I am starting to root for Jonathon too (NEVER thought I would say that!)

I still think that Marion is the front-runner. Her food knowledge is amazing, which is unsurprising because her Masters is in Gastronomy…

Still surprised about the number of lawyers/ to-be-lawyers/ ex-lawyers in Masterchef Season 1 and 2… Kate Rodrigues, Tom, Marion, Adam, Claire, Peter, Sharnee… and still Claire is constantly touted as “The Lawyer”.

5 CG { 06.11.10 at 4:49 pm }

If a bookie was so far off in his oddsmaking and had the wide swings we see here each week he’d be out of business. O-u-t of B-u-s-i-n-e-s-s!!

How can a bookmaker and a blog owner acknowledge that (i) much goes on behind the scenes that viewers are not privy to; (ii) many who can’t cook remain in the competition (Sharnee being the prime example this year); and (iii) this is an entertainment show, not a cooking show… and yet come up with and publish “odds” that are so arbitrary so as to be meaningless.

RR: Surely there are better ways to generate an interesting discussion on your blog than throwing up meaningless odds that have proven to be way off base week-to-week?

6 Paul { 06.11.10 at 5:05 pm }

Ahhhh, my old stalker friend CG. Always good for a laugh.

Just a maths question for you old chap. In percentage terms what is $10 & $6 respectively to win and to lose.

7 Airwalk { 06.11.10 at 5:13 pm }

Oh I thought I was Pauls stalker(although think he may be flattering himself)… keep up the good work CG though

8 Paul { 06.11.10 at 6:22 pm }

CG is right about one thing though.
The odds are meaningless as they are only my opinion based on what has been on the show so far.

I mean this has only been stated about a million times before but I guess it has to be re-iterated again and probably will be repeated next week when exactly the same comments from the same people appear again.

If you have a comment about which order you think they should be in or where it is drastically wrong and why, then I and others will be only too happy to hear it.

But I won’t be holding my breath……

9 anon { 06.11.10 at 7:38 pm }

Sharnee will win.

She has more staying power than the other 9 put together.

Either that, or, having done nothing, she isn’t worn, wilting or wasted like most of the others, and will suddenly inner strength and hitherto unseen skill, knowledge and charm to take out Marion.

10 sourkraut { 06.11.10 at 10:37 pm }

Paul
I get it at last (well wot do u expect from an old fart?)
Any other contestant…. there aint one, but then the odds should be >$1,000,000
Just out of interest, on what basis have you got wonder woman and superman at such short odds, or is this all part of 10s great conspiracy partially revealed?

11 KC { 06.12.10 at 12:39 am }

@anon: Oh dear me if that happens. I’ll have to buy a new TV if Sharnee wins because a remote control will be thrown at the television if so. But I won’t be surprised only because Sharnee seems to have absolutely ALL the luck in the competition.

I agree that Marion is pretty one-note at the moment and I think she’s had a bit less screen time recently. This should be good cause it means that when she kicks butt later, it will be even more awesomer. Yes I am a huge Marion fan because she is AWESOME and she is one of the best cooks on the show from both seasons.

I do kinda agree with your list but I would probably put Alvin a bit further down only because he seems to have good weeks and then suddenly bad weeks.

12 wallah { 06.12.10 at 10:17 am }

To quote Basil Fawlty ….

Major Gowen: Have you a flutter, Fawlty?
Basil Fawlty: No, no, no.
Sybil Fawlty: No, Basil doesn’t bet on the horses anymore, do you, dear?
Basil Fawlty: No, I don’t, no. That particular avenue of pleasure has been closed off.
Sybil Fawlty: And we don’t want it opened up again, do we Basil?
Basil Fawlty: No YOU don’t, dear.

I have an acknowledged bad habit of losing lots of money on animals running around in circles, so I tend to stay away from the glitz and glamour hahaha. BUT. And a big but…if I was betting man these odds, based on what one sees, and the info given out in the press, would be pretty much spot on.
Shame how a bit of fun can turn into a Haterade drinking competition.

13 Reality bites { 06.12.10 at 2:32 pm }

I just want to know if Paul is a payer.

14 Anon { 06.13.10 at 2:14 am }

Don’t forget JD has been accused of rubbing people up the wrong way. Though they are editing him differently now. However, you need to be a people person in this industry. Both judges have also now indicated he is technical and confident but can’t always ‘walk the walk’. Are they trying to tell us something or are they leading us astray?

15 Reality Raver { 06.13.10 at 9:35 am }

Anon – I reckon they are judging Jonathan to a higher standard then some of the others ie matthew, Callum, and Sharnee.