Matt Preston To Have His Own Chat Show

Rumours are circulating that Matt Preston is in talks with Andrew Denton’s production company with the possibility he will host his own chat show. The News.com.au article doesn’t say if it would be a day or night time show. However apparently Matt Preston is signed to Network Ten so won’t be able to work on any other TV channel.

The article says:

A chat show makes perfect sense,” the source said.

“Matt’s a historian, he’s academic. He’s articulate. He could really make it work.”

On top of developing the Denton concept, Preston is also gearing up for Junior MasterChef, expected to debut in September.

A Channel 10 representative would not comment about Preston’s ambitions outside MasterChef.

There were also rumours he would do a travel/food show.  If this was anywhere as good as Anthony Bourdain’s it would be fantastic.

1 essjayeats { 06.15.10 at 10:33 pm }

If you’ve seen him hosting Anthony Bourdain around “Australia” (well, Melbourne and Dunkeld really) you’ll have an idea of how that show might work out. Preston was pure genius! Amiable, educated and well researched. Can’t happen soon enough I say. (Sure to be relegated to 10:30pm almost instantly – cause he’s not Dazza!)

2 pollywaffle { 06.15.10 at 11:53 pm }

I just hope he keeps his clothes on, as bad as they are…have visions of him in a hot tub without a cravat in sight

3 sourkraut { 06.15.10 at 11:56 pm }

I think he is an erudite sophisticate who would translate brilliantly to a TV varity show

4 pollywaffle { 06.15.10 at 11:59 pm }

maybe, maybe not, potentially Stephen Fry’s understudy’s understudy on a good day

5 CG { 06.16.10 at 12:32 am }

Despite Matt’s Handee Wipes advert where he claims to be thick and strong… (cough cough)…I’m not sure how deep Matt is without the script…If he is so wonderful how come he didn’t succeed in the UK and landed in Aus…I just get the impression that Matt is one of these Stephen Fry / Charlie Rose wannabes who struck it lucky with MC but wouldn’t have a whole lot to keep me interested in a daily / weekly chat show. Dunno.

6 Airwalk { 06.16.10 at 2:16 am }

HE comes across ok in the Bourdain show…he’s put on a bit of weight since then(and if you watch the Bourdain in Australia(well mostly Melbourne show)you may want to go for a meal at The Royal Mail

7 Airwalk { 06.16.10 at 2:18 am }

HE comes across ok in the Bourdain show…he’s put on a bit of weight since then(and if you watch the Bourdain in Australia(well mostly Melbourne show’you may want to go for a meal at The Royal Mail

8 Essjayeats { 06.16.10 at 7:58 am }

CG: the story goes, he came for a holiday and hasn’t left yet.

I’m not sure how his weight makes or breaks him as a talk show host, so long as he doesn’t make it a “journey” or a televised struggle.

Having heard him speak several times now I can vouch that the scripts on Masterchef dumb him down.

9 seepi { 06.16.10 at 11:27 am }

Quick snippet on Junior Masterchef:
(from the newsletter of Guesthouse Schonegg – outside the ACT, and big on lovely food.)

Junior Masterchef Update
Readers of previous newsletters will remember our children Katja (10) and Mathias (12) have been keenly following Masterchef.

Imagine their excitement when they were selected from 5000 applicants to take part in the auditions for the first Junior Masterchef show. On Friday, 21st May we made our way to a technical college in Sydney. Katja presented her sensational Thai Beef Salad, Mathias his signature dish – sushi rolls. They then participated in a cook-off, preparing pancakes and butterscotch sauce. Regrettably, they were not selected to proceed to the Top 50, but being selected as one of the top 300 junior masterchefs in Australia is still a great achievement.

We hope you have enjoyed our Winter 2010 Newsletter and that you and your family are well. Evelyn and Richard look forward to welcoming you to Schonegg soon.
Our mission – to deliver an experience that will nourish your body, heart and soul long after your visit is over.

10 Wurstsemmel { 06.16.10 at 2:18 pm }

Comparisons of Matt Preston to Stephen Fry. No, no. I won’t have a bar of it.

That aside, it’d be interesting to see how it works out but I remain skeptical…maybe Masterchef isn’t doing him any favours, maybe the scripting is dumbing him down…. but then I think of the plate smashing which was supposedly his idea and the CDs/handiwipes efforts after which I find it hard to take him seriously and probably has damaged his ‘brand’.

Plus, success in the UK. I have to say, as a Brit, he’d probably be considered a bit of pretentious w****r in the UK. It all seems a bit put on. And well, obviously that’s not too far off the mark, he did win the award.

11 AliciaaLouisee { 07.16.10 at 8:20 pm }

Omg that juniormasterchef snippet is just – wow. Only news I’ve heard about it! As for Matt Preston…no. Just no. I would not watch it cos he annoys me. In masterchef he eats half the plate of food instead of just trying it!! But still, maybe.