Masterchef Australia – Who Do You Think Should Be Given A Second Chance?

This is a blog post to discuss who you think should be given a second chance on the show.

Last year Poh, and Justine got into the final week after being given a second chance after they had been eliminated. The decision was the producers and the judges.

This year I would like to see some sort of cook off to give them the right to get back in. This could be between the last five who were eliminated.

The people I would like to see back in are Skye and Peter.  I think both were eliminated before their time.

1 Heléna { 06.17.10 at 10:58 pm }

Skye and Courtney

2 Suzanne { 06.17.10 at 10:59 pm }

Can’t remember her name, maybe Courtney? Anyway the one that wuz robbed with the mint.

3 MolksTVTalk { 06.17.10 at 11:02 pm }

Jimmy & Devon. I suspect I have at least one right. 😉

4 Angel86 { 06.17.10 at 11:05 pm }

Fiona.

5 Airwalk { 06.17.10 at 11:07 pm }

I want Irmgard back!!!!

6 candee { 06.17.10 at 11:11 pm }

for now – skye definitely
i agree that a cook off is needed but perhaps this should wait till we get down to the last six contestants – masterchef is still in its early days i reckon

7 Fides { 06.17.10 at 11:11 pm }

I’d love to see Devon and Courtney. Doubt we’ll see either though.

8 Zibb { 06.17.10 at 11:15 pm }

think Devon and Courtney were the most unfair eliminations, but they happened so early it wouldn’t be fair or work very well to bring them back now. But I think Skye deffinately should get a chance to come back, her food usually adds intrest to the show

9 Airwalk { 06.17.10 at 11:18 pm }

Cookoff between Irmgard, Courtney and Skye…

10 sourkraut { 06.17.10 at 11:37 pm }

Chris B and Irmgard

11 Heléna { 06.17.10 at 11:50 pm }

devon would be my third pick :p

12 sourkraut { 06.18.10 at 12:15 am }

Helena
Y not Salami?

13 Rosie { 06.18.10 at 12:48 am }

Jake and Courtney. Not because they were necessarily the best cooks, but because they were the most unfair eliminations. They wuz shafted!

14 CG { 06.18.10 at 1:58 am }

Courtney. Her elimination for correctly identifying “spearmint” was unfair, particularly given that later taste tests have required the contestants to be specific – e.g. apricots!

Skye has no right to come back: (i) she didn’t have a clue about saffron and how little you should use!; and (ii) she guessed garam masala in the taste test where they were identifying individual spices – “masala” means mix – it is not a single spice!!

Given Skye’s “new age” personna, it is incredible she did not know anything about these two spices.

Anyhoo, she (Skye) seems well set-up with her dessert book deal so they’ll be giving someone else the opportunity to redeem themselves. That said, it Jimmy comes back he has also apparently leveraged his MC time to date to introduce a “simmer sauce” range!

Peter, IMHO, was not a good cook, flew under the radar, and lasted longer than he should have!

15 Angel86 { 06.18.10 at 8:25 am }

As much as I would support Devon as a returning contender, he and anyone else who went out early, would be at a massive disadvantage because they went out so early and therefore have gotten less exposure plus they have gained less cooking skills than the others. We saw it happen with Julia last year, and she at least got some experience in a restaurant. It would have to be some of the more recent eliminees, such as Jake, Fiona or Skye. I would be happy with any of them. They all did well and then were eliminated unfairly.

16 New Age Persona { 06.18.10 at 8:55 am }

CG, would you mind telling me what other things someone with a “new age persona” is supposed to be well-versed in? Is there a list somewhere, or newsletter to which I might subscribe so that I may learn what else is necessary for me to know in order to be “new age”? I suspect there might be a course on muesli I could take, or perhaps “Making Hemp Clothes 101”. Since you are apparently an “Internet Know-All Blowhard” type persona, I bet you can set me on the right path!

17 librarygirl { 06.18.10 at 9:04 am }

Courtney and Jimmy.
But why do we think 2 are coming back at this point?
Didn’t the wild cards come back BEFORE the Hong Kong challenge last year? (which is how Justine was there).
Six survivors went to HK, and met up with 2 chef challenge winners (Julia and Lucas).
Currently we already have 8, and the episodes in London begin this Sunday. Will they bring contestants back AFTER London and Paris? Doesn’t seem right.

18 pollywaffle { 06.18.10 at 10:24 am }

RR – your voting poll doesnt let you pick a second person

19 MelbaToast { 06.18.10 at 12:04 pm }

I’d probably like to see Jake come back. I liked his humble attitude and thought he was a good contestant. There’s no-one else I really ‘need’ to ever see again…Phil maybe, but he prooved he was a bit of an idiot in the Melbourne Challenge….der!

20 Fides { 06.18.10 at 1:02 pm }

@librarygirl – the returning contestants last year came back after Hong Kong. Justine was eliminated in Hong Kong (when she and Julie couldn’t get the crunch on the suckling pig), but later returned with Poh and Tom when they had the cooking for the navy challenge.

I would love to see Kirk Pengilly and Rachel Finch from CMC thrown into this mix too!

21 Chunks { 06.18.10 at 1:54 pm }

Doesn’t anyone else love Philip? See, here’s the problem with those stupid taste tests: often the best cooks get tripped up by them and eliminated over some silly technicality. Matthew knew most of the ingredients and chose the wrong one to make a punt on. Should he be eliminated for that? No bloody way. Stupid stupid stupid.

22 Airwalk { 06.18.10 at 1:59 pm }

Thanks for adding Irmgard…she’s great and had a lot of hardships the last couple of years…shame she got kicked off so early, would have been a great personality to have on the show.

23 Anthony { 06.18.10 at 2:00 pm }

Would love to see Skye back, definitely!!
I wouldn’t mind Peter or Jimmy, but I’m a lot more supportive of Pete!
I would also like to see Carrie back because I just started liking her before she left…
And lastly, Devon because he was first to go and never really got to show us what he could do!!

NOT MATTHEW!

24 sourkraut { 06.18.10 at 2:09 pm }

CG
Skye (and Johno) also cocked up the amounts of the gelatinous subtance in the ice cream, by not even LOOKING AT THE IN FARKING STRUCTIONS (at least that was wot woz implied). Course no “chef” worth his or her NaCl would ever follow a recipe or instructions hoo hah
Melba T
I agree. If Chris B or Irmgard are not to be brought back IMNSHO Jake should come back as I love seafood, and he was a modest type with no obvious unpleasant characteristics.

25 librarygirl { 06.18.10 at 2:33 pm }

Fides – of course – you’re right!
got my sequence of events mixed up there, a bit.
I think I’m too excited about upcoming eps. in London and Paris.

26 MelbaToast { 06.18.10 at 3:44 pm }

Who’s Irmgard? Is she the older lady that just missed out on the top 20?

27 Wurstsemmel { 06.18.10 at 4:49 pm }

I’d like to see Jimmy come back and for a curve ball one of the ‘evicted’ from series 1. Chris perhaps?

28 Airwalk { 06.18.10 at 5:22 pm }

Melba…Irmgard-Irmgard Kastner…she’s on facebook…she of the mixing up of the meat on the first show. Her husband was a chef and he passed away in Alice Springs and Qantas wouldn’t bring his body back, her grandson was killed in a deliberate hit and run(got a bit of press as was apparently a love triangle) and she sells plus size lingerie…think she’s a fab person to bring back. Love her comments on her fb page regards the show(does that make me a stalker? reading her fb page)

29 sourkraut { 06.18.10 at 9:41 pm }

Wurstsemmel
I hadn’t pictured you as a sheissen stirrer