The Morning Show – Is Reality TV Too Harsh?

Having a bit of a media slut day with an appearance on The Morning Show defending reality TV AGAIN. I will write a post on the study a bit later, personally I thought it was a crock (using the technical terminology).
If you work for Jenny Craig call me, but on the plus size I don’t think I can be criticised for my shoes this time.
Other media slut appearance is my Twitterverse article was picked up by The Punch.

1 Zoe { 06.18.10 at 1:46 pm }

Gee, Mike’s had some work done. And yes, very nice shoes!

2 CG { 06.18.10 at 1:51 pm }

You did great and look great – nice shoes!

Mike Goldman (who?) notsomuch – what exactly is a “media personality”? Good grief.

This is the negative social impact of reality television: each season of each show releases a bunch of painful, annoying, no-talent, wanna-be’s into society with the job title of “media personality”. Thankfully, like the cockroaches they are, their “media” career lifespan is only a few months.

3 Culinary Boner { 06.18.10 at 2:32 pm }

What planet was that psychologist from???

Aren’t most of the worse programs in terms of abherent behaviour like bullying or whipping out yer todger – e.g. all the crappy Jersey shows plus Gordon Ramsey’s f-word fests – on at a timeslot that so-called impressionable kiddies shouldn’t be watching? Don’t they come with a classification that should warn their parents that little Timmy might find the show too confronting (especially if he’s that Timmy from South Park)?

And isn’t the greatest damage that the rest of these show’s do simply to expose kids to a bunch of delusional no-talents and thereby perhaps encourage kids to develop similar delusions…Yes, I’m referring to Idol here. That is, apart from CG’s spot-on comment about ‘media personailities’.

Raver, liked the line about Chuckie. Perhaps Chuckie’s to blame for that psycho who went off the deep end in Sydney yesterday? Oh. Hang on. That’s right. Obviously, he’s a reality tv addict. And he was just doing the evil bidding of that voice of Kyle that keeps running through his head. You know. The one that kept telling him what a total loser fuckwit he is, and that he has nothing to live for, ‘coz he don’t go out with a wannabee model/singer/performer/bimbette .

Hopefully, Mike G isn’t pitching for corporate MC gigs. Based on that performance no firm could afford the accident insurance.

4 Wurstsemmel { 06.18.10 at 3:52 pm }

I have no idea who the tangerine guy is but he could do with a session or two with Jo Lambert from his behaviour. Never mind, you looked good RR and he only served to make you look even better.

Agree CG, what about boundaries? Parents shouldn’t let their children watch some of the more questioable shows or at least take the opportunity to discuss behaviours.

RR, you are becoming a regular!

5 Kate { 06.18.10 at 6:59 pm }

Ah, a morning show fluff piece, bring up something topical and try to engage debate but shut it down to keep it light and fluffy, viewers are still have breakfast out there you know :-)
Nice shoes!
Parents can monitor what children watch on TV, it’s called turning it off or watching it with them and explaining it’s a show and talking about what behaviour is acceptable and what is not. Tough work being a parent :-)
However the internet is another story as it’s too readily accessible and that’s where most of the vile comments are. It’s amazing what people are prepared to write online but i bet they’d never say it to peoples faces.
I think the shows are fine and most comments are fine, we all expect that reality will have a bit of bite, the TV producers certainly encourage it, more ratings = more money.
However moderators of particular forums could take more action about the amount of hate that gets through. For MC alone I have seen contestants compared with paedophiles, rude words (which i can handle) however they are directed at contestants, racism, homophobia and you get the picture. Most of the time one person and it seems to get shut down though i have seen others run with it and follow, mob mentality i guess. I don’t think one show will ruin you, nor will reading one bad comment, however i do think the online stuff can get really bad.

6 wallah { 06.18.10 at 8:15 pm }

Remember…..20 years ago-sorry make that 25-the Beastie Boys were going to cause the end of the world when License To Ill came out. A few years later, Marilyn Manson. Then World of Warcraft. I’m sure if you did a snap poll of people who think the worst of anything, be it Twitter, Facebook, out of control ethnics, political correctness gone mad, politicians and fat cats in Ivory Towers with their perks and super, you’d find two things.
1-They watch Channel 9.
2-They read the Murdoch tabloid press.

7 pollywaffle { 06.18.10 at 10:51 pm }

You did well to suffer those egos in such a small space – and stay on that stool, how comfortable for everyone! Glad you didnt sucumb to Malibu tan pancake on offer like most others did. Hope there was a stiff drink awaiting and the psychologist transitted easily back to the asylum where the real psych was tied up…..

8 Mike Goldman { 06.19.10 at 12:56 pm }

Hey CG, not that I need to justify myself but I have worked in the media since I was 16 and have hosted many TV and radio shows including Big Brother for a reality TV record 8 years. Maybe check my bio before u call me a cockroach. Oh, great work Reality Raver, loved your shoes and your chat. See u again soon. Great site. Mike

9 Diaz { 06.19.10 at 4:40 pm }

Geez people are far too harsh – first of all for those above who criticise those on the Morning Show such as Mike Goldman need to understand that you can hide behind your computers but can still cross the line in terms of politeness – maybe we shouldnt be blaming reality television for this behaviour but maybe technology and how annonymous we can be to act like those above. By the way yes I know this is a blog where harsh opinions are probably welcomed! RR you were fine as usual! To Mike Goldman if you are still reading seriously pitch BB back to Seven, theyre hooked on bringing so many off-cuts now (X Factor) they should be delighted with the rump that was BB. Youre a talent anyways, each time one of your ads come on I always yell out ‘OMG Mike Goldman!’ Host the seven pm project for all that matters, you need to be on television!

10 Mike Goldman { 06.19.10 at 10:54 pm }

Awww Diaz,
Thanks a million. So lovely of you.
Nice to know someone still appreciates my waffle 😀

11 Reality Raver { 06.20.10 at 8:40 pm }

Jo and Mike were both very nice to me and my nerves off stage.

Mike great to meet you, I was having Big Brother flash backs with that voice it is very authoritarian. No wonder BB contestants scampered into the diary room when summoned.

Diaz – I agree I reckon BB could make a come back however in my opinion I would like it to get back to what it was in the first few seasons with people who were able to hold a conversation and it was more just an observation of different people living in the house.

Any girl who states they want to pose for Ralph or Zoo application should be shredded immediately. And no guys with IQ’s under 100.