Masterchef Australia – Marion V Martin

They sure make their chef’s nice there over in England. Last night the magnanimous Heston Blumenthal and tonight the competitive but charming Martin Blunos. However I could have done without the pony tail, is he Neil Perry’s idol?

Also I love how these chef’s have kept George’s bouncing and overacting under control, and makes him much more watchable. Also I presume Matt Preston had to come back to Australia to go to the Logies.

The other contestants were not there tonight but that is because there was no peanut gallery in London’s Vinopolis.

However the special guest judges were the real Masterchef judges John Torode and Greg Wallace, and they were fabulous with their formal style of judging. But I couldn’t help wondering if they were a little envious of Gary Mehigan and George Calombaris and the challenges they get to preside over.

The dish Marion was going to have to reproduce was a dessert boiled egg and soldiers.

A lot of the dish was about the presentation with not a lot of complex cooking. But the tight timeframe meant there was some added tension in the room.

Martin liked Marion’s style and the way she organised herself. And she looked confident and professional in the kitchen, however even I would have known to have started my ice-cream first, something Martin was praising her for.

Her only difficulty was cutting the tops off the eggs and that was what made it easy to spot which completed dish was her.

Marion’s dish was given a “well executed” by John Torode.

Greg Wallace  said “Fantastic dish made by someone with a good touch” and George thought it was “delicious”.

When Martin’s came it it was obvious it was his dish.

John Torode was emphatic in his judgement “Icecream creamier and richer, mango has more depth of flavour”.

Greg Wallace thought the “Only difference was the biscuit was slightly crunchier”.

“It’s going to be a tough one, it’s close” said George as he does every week.

At least when they revealed plate one was Marion they did not do that look of faux surprise.

She scored eight from each judge for a total of 24. George looked genuine when he said “I am so excited for you.”

Martin looked a bit perturbed when he only received an eight from Greg, but relaxed a bit once John Torode gave him a nine.

He kindly told Marion she did not need the immunity pin to win.

Tomorrow night it is an Amazing Race type scenario where they race from London to Paris and then cook beside the River Seine. The locations where the contestants have been filming have been spectacular.

1 AnonyMousse { 06.22.10 at 11:19 pm }

I have to admit I just don’t get these illusion dishes that we saw tonight and yesterday (the faux fruit). When I see an egg, I’m expecting to taste an egg when I eat it. If I’m not tasting what I’m expecting to taste when I put something in my mouth, my brain usually starts defensively shouting ‘spit it out!’ even if it’d have been good.

From the previews Aaron seems to have lucked out with his partner tomorrow – isn’t Claire the one who speaks fluent French (and therefore would have an easy time of buying from a French market)?

2 Airwalk { 06.22.10 at 11:21 pm }

I agree, Geo is a different person with these grown ups around…
Ratings must be up this week, surprised ‘no one’ has told us yet? And yes it was great not to have the peanut gallery tonight alhtough I thought they had a faux look when they announced Marions was dish one. Marion does seem to be a genuinely nice person who can cook-and enjoys it but you never know…could just be the editing…:)

3 Injera { 06.22.10 at 11:21 pm }

I’d love to try that dish – either one of Martin’s or Marion’s plates would satisfy me.

Thought maybe Matt had disappeared to take on some Panto, but you’re probably right, he had to come back for the Logies (although… really? He could have arranged a link-up, surely?).

I thought that John definitely had missed the keep-em-guessing-at-all-costs memo with his rather emphatic praise of Martin’s dish but was pleased to see that Gregg matched his score to his praise, which is often missing with our judges. As for the absence of the look of faux surprise, I noticed that George couldn’t help himself and had a crack, but John and Gregg were looking straight ahead.

4 Fides { 06.22.10 at 11:38 pm }

I think I was grinning away with Marion tonight. Normally I find it tedious, but tonight her constant beaming and giggling was endearing. And even better, she wasn’t wearing that gospel choir outfit of the past few nights’ commentaries.

It’s strange not seeing bouncy, hyperactive George. It’s like he’s getting his Ritalin this week …

AnonyMousse (love the name) – Aaron may have gotten Claire as his partner, but I noticed they are the blue team – so there goes any advantage! Go reds (team Alvin/Adam).

5 CG { 06.22.10 at 11:44 pm }

Iceland volcano peaked – I believe – on 15 April . Logies were on 2 May. I’m not sure Logies explain Matt’s absence.

I see Joanne is teamed with Jono in tomorrow night’s challenge.Would suggest she is safe again. Adam appeared to be teamed with Aaron.

My guess who will go this week: Aaron or Alvin.

6 Airwalk { 06.22.10 at 11:59 pm }

Nah think Adam and Alvin are paired up tomorrow…think Matt was still in the barbers or the dungeon.

7 CG { 06.23.10 at 12:08 am }

Given the tabloid focus on Claire…I could also see her out this week. But Joanne, Callum and Aaron are the ones most past their use by dates.

8 Airwalk { 06.23.10 at 12:17 am }

Yeah Injrea-my mistake it was only Geo trying a faux look of surprise but the grown ups didn’t bite…
CG-Jo or Aaron to go please…and wouldn’t be too sad to see Callum either…so whats Jo going to do when she gets kicked off? Start serving food at Zalm Hairdressing…RR have you managed to stroll past yet btw?
Just as well the London trip came this week as I as beginning to lose interest
(btw CG my fav conspiracy theory was The Beatles one back when Abbey Road was released…did you ever hear about that one? :) )

9 CG { 06.23.10 at 12:27 am }

AW: giving away my age here, but I had a music teacher in Grade 6 who was obsessed with Beatle conspiracy theories. He used to sit us in class and have us listen to Beatles songs played slo-mo and backwards to try out his theories. And yes, he also told us about the Abbey Road conspiracy theory, which if I recall correctly, asserted that the cover for Abbey Road foretold of Paul McCartney’s early demise: “Paul is dead”. BwwwwwHaaaHaaaa.

10 pollywaffle { 06.23.10 at 12:29 am }

I think Matt no shows are due to him already signing with Jenny Craig and they’ve stipulated he needs to cut back to 20 meals a day.

Fergie was in town too, but Im not sure if he really needs a lot of access to Prince Andrew quite yet

11 Angel86 { 06.23.10 at 12:32 am }

I think Joanne will get saved by Jonathan. Although, if they are the bottom team, he would also be likely to knock her out in an elimination. Who was Marion paired up with? Callum, maybe? There appeared to be one team with 2 guys, but not sure which ones. Aaron and Adam were together to win the challenge a few weeks ago so you’d think they wouldn’t be paired together again.

It just clicked to me that there are only 3 girls left, and 5 guys. Bit of a gender imbalance right now. But now that I think about it, we’ve had just 3 girls for awhile. The last one to go was Matthew, so we had 3 girls and 6 guys at that point. It hasn’t been equal for awhile by my calculations. It started with 10 each but we’ve lost more girls than guys up until now.

12 pollywaffle { 06.23.10 at 12:38 am }

I heard from someone at the Langham that Mr Calombaris has ordered a jogging trampoline delivered to his room – must have some bouncing tension left after the shoots

13 Airwalk { 06.23.10 at 12:40 am }

:) Not too subtle am I? Next ACA will be doing stories on death threats on RRs blog haha … become quite a fishing trip now(for reactions)…although I am getting good at ignoring posts
Last year I helped my young niece research on conspiracy theories as she had to do a presentation on one at school…ended up doing Sept 11th…strange topic for a school presentation I thought at the time but seems there’s more conspiracy theories on RR than in any of the research we did…
Wow how bizarre your teacher playing Beatles songs backwards…I was quite young when John Lennon was shot and traded in all my Kiss records for Beatles records which I still have today albeit in storage…
Back to MC…teams tomorrow are Marion and Callum: Jon and Jo: Alvin and Adam: Claire and Aaron (I am pretty sure)

14 pollywaffle { 06.23.10 at 12:42 am }

And, Christ 10, get the names of the alma mata Brit MC hosts right, they were reversed against mug shots in the intro….soooo dumb and disrespectful

15 KC { 06.23.10 at 12:50 am }

From what I caught from the previews it should be; Marion and Callum, Jono and Joanne, Adam and Alvin which leaves Aaron and Clare. From the pairings, it makes me think that Adam and Alvin or Aaron and Clare will be in the bottom only because Marion and Jono have really set themselves up as the frontrunners for this competition. But this part is a purely biased opinion and Amazing Race style episodes don’t always go to plan 😀 I’m totally going to record this and watch it!

16 Muru { 06.23.10 at 2:08 am }

Tomorrow night’s episode will be the last MC2 episode I’ll be watching as I’m off to Europe for three weeks, and it just so happens that this will be an Amazing Race-esque type episode in Europe! Even though I don’t really see the point in these kinds of episodes on a cooking show, they are fun to watch indeed.

17 Injera { 06.23.10 at 8:21 am }

Have a great trip, Muru!

18 CG { 06.23.10 at 9:12 am }

AW: off topic (last time!): here is interesting article re backward messages in songs: http://www.reversespeech.com/music_reversals.htm

Should add that my music teacher was exploring the Beatle theories in the late 1970s… I’m not that old. John Lennon was killed when I was 12!!

19 librarygirl { 06.23.10 at 9:25 am }

hey Fides – I loved your refence to Marion’s gospel choir outfit.
But I thought it looked quite cute and schoolgirlish!

20 MelbaToast { 06.23.10 at 11:21 am }

I found this episode a little boring after the last two UK shows which to me seemed so high energy.

Everyone just seemed so calm and in control last night and there was absolutely no drama with Marion’s dish at all.

Whoever is Claire’s partner in the Paris challenge certainly has the advantage as she speaks french. I think if I was going to Paris on a free trip I’d give on the Masterchef dream and just go sightseeing for the day (esp if I was Aaron or Jo – they’re not going to win it anyway).

21 pollywaffle { 06.23.10 at 1:19 pm }

Marion must extend her Euro trip to take inGreece, she might cause a bit of a sensation….

( hey THATs why Geo goes all agapi over her)

22 Colls Bolls { 06.23.10 at 1:22 pm }

@Fides..I would have said boys choir ie. Kings College Choir at Cambridge rather than gospel choir outfit. Perhaps she’d been to Evensong at Westiminster Abbey on their first day in London.

23 NT Kate { 06.23.10 at 2:49 pm }

Was nice to see Geo under better control. But have to say, Torode’s comments struck me as a bit of a wanky justification for giving a higher mark to the celebrity chef – just how much ‘depth’ can there be after all to a component consisting of mango, lemon and sugar? I’m prepared to accept that there might have been a difference in the creaminess of their icecreams, but given that Wallace couldn’t pick it, why not just admit it was in the presentation?

There is pretty good evidence that expectations shape how we taste things – so as soon as the presentation gives away which plate is which, it is probably inevitable that the judges will discover greater taste depths (quite aside from the not wanting to piss off ones peers consideration)!

So I have to say I’m finding these celebrity chef challenges – when it comes down to things like how well you cut an egg shell, or how over salted the broth is – increasingly frustrating (as must the contestants!). The cook off between Adam and Aaron style immunity challenge strikes me as a much fairer and better approach, and could be saved up for those occasions when someone or a team manages something above the ordinary.

Do find this performance art as cookery quite interesting though, and dressing up something to look like something else strikes me as much more interesting (though not something I’ll be trying to imitate) than the plating approach advocated by the G’s (I’m so past those microherbs).

24 Staged production { 06.23.10 at 3:09 pm }

Meaningless challenges. The culinary version of Almost Anything Goes.

25 Airwalk { 06.23.10 at 3:19 pm }

Yes meaningless challenges-pick some random dish for gawds sake not their signature dish…of course they are going to cook it better than the contestant especially when the judges have eaten the dish before(llike Torode)…and Geo plating up is tiresome and tiny…microherbs blah, he mush eat souvlaki’s on his way home from The Press Club to maintain his figure.
And CG…oh I thought I was speaking to an elder…you are positively youthful ‘wink wink’ :)

26 Fides { 06.23.10 at 5:02 pm }

Librarygirl, agree Marion’s outfit was cute and angelic looking, and only she could pull it off. Or perhaps Adam could as well, but I’d rather not see him try. Oh dear, now I’m picturing Callum as part of a boys choir…

Polly – too funny about Geo bouncing in his room on his trampoline, just to get all that repressed bounce out of his system. He should avoid the Berocca this week.

27 Airwalk { 06.23.10 at 6:43 pm }