Masterchef Australia – Jonathan Dodges Another Bullet?

OK Masterchef nearly tricked me tonight. Jonathan looked so red eyed and defeated in it to camera pieces that I thought he had been rolled. He did look a bit washed out.

But after facing seven elimination challenges he is probably tired, as it means you don’t get a day off as the other contestants do. However Joanne was in the same boat as she had been on six challenges.

Also is there some sort of ratio where there are more hotter guys in cheffing than other professions? Again tonight Masterchef Australia put up another talented chef Brett Graham of  The Ledbury as guest judge.

The positives of the episode:

• Brett Graham;
  • The fact it was a proper test of their cooking skills not a taste test;
  • The way Joanne held her tea cup at the beginning of the episode;
  • That Joanne provided the most entertaining moments in a bit of a dull episode, ie her squeamishness with tasting the heart and gutting the bird;
  • That the eliminator, Jonathan prevailed.

Negatives:

• Some of the comments they show indicate what the judges are going to say, for example Jono talked about his seasoning and morel mushrooms, so you knew there were going to be issues there;
  • It was a tense episode because of the emotional involvement of backing favourite contestants, but it is hard to make it really interesting, possibly because it was difficult for cameras to get into the kitchen;
  • At the end with Aaron doing his rock start strut whilst leaving the hotel;
  • Not seeing the winning team from yesterday, Marion and Callum, go to their lunch at Pied De Terre.

Gary thought Jonothan’s pigeon was too salty but George thought the sauce was gorgeous,but his morels were over cooked.

Joanne also gleaned some positive comment regarding her pigeon and morels, however her winglets were overcooked, and the onion tart was under.

I loved the question Gary asked Jono as they were waiting to find out who was going to be eliminated.

“What is going to stop you from winning the competition?”  I would have answered you two dickheads.

But he said “Myself”.

Joanne was very zen about her elimination, and I really like her comment on saying her husband let me go and follow my dream and find my freedom.

By the way the hypocrite of the week award goes to Fairfax media where in the SMH and The Age they do a shock horror death threats against Joanne story, but the next day allow a story that makes a negative comment about Joanne!

1 librarygirl { 06.24.10 at 10:45 pm }

Heart (not the pigeons) was in my mouth until Jono was safe.
Rock star Aaron at the end had us rolling on the floor.
Rock on!
“you two dickheads…” – RR, that was recap GOLD!

2 Anon { 06.24.10 at 10:50 pm }

:)I am glad that Jonathan won so RR can continue blogging MC. :)
It took a great deal of restraint not to turn the channel when Joanne whipped out the family photos? Seriously???In a commercial kitchen.
At least Joanne handled her elimination with dignity. We feared the waterworks.

3 Injera { 06.24.10 at 10:57 pm }

I was only half watching – actually, was cooking at the same time! – and I was terrified that Jonathan would be eliminated. Terrified, I tells ya!

I did click that it was unlikely there’d be an upset when Joanne made such a meal (sorry) of prepping the pigeon. All the squeamishness and the little squeals made me realise that she was a goner.

4 Reality Raver { 06.24.10 at 11:07 pm }

Librarygirl – the reflector glasses the beanie with the long hair was just too much for me. I actually think he is probably a nice guy, but outside the inner west Sydney where this is standard uniform – he looks like a poseur. In fact on 30 plus degree days you will see guys with the beanie on.

Anon – I don’t mind if he goes if he is up against a stronger cook. Having said that I think Joanne can cook, but I am not sure how good at “freestyling” ie without a recipe she is. She let Jono take the lead last night.

Injera – once I heard the judges comments I knew she was a goner.

5 sourkraut { 06.24.10 at 11:25 pm }

1 What a set-up
2 Hope the haters and racists are happy now

6 Reality Raver { 06.24.10 at 11:35 pm }

Sourkraut – she may get a second chance. She has a big following. Probably more then a lot of the other contestants.

7 cravatwatch { 06.24.10 at 11:35 pm }

Very happy that my secret favourite Crazy Eyes lives to look annoyed another day!

8 wallah { 06.24.10 at 11:47 pm }

This hater ain’t happy………….I know have to go back to hatin’ on Jonathan with his beady eyes and George Bush smirk.

9 Fides { 06.25.10 at 12:08 am }

Well I’m glad that spoiler proved false! Kinda like my sister giving me a false spoiler to the ending of a Disney movie once, which had me teary the whole movie until I realised, right near the end, that the prince wasn’t going to be killed….

I do like Jojo and her honest comments, unpretentious facial expressions and smile, but as it is meant to be a cooking show, I’m relieved Peter Sellers (who, for some strange reason, was all I could see when I watched Jono tonight) gets to cook again.

I hoped when he was asked who/what would keep him from winning the comp – his answer would be “Marion”.

10 AT { 06.25.10 at 12:39 am }

i dunno. she might be one of those people who comes back this sunday hence the people on masterchef forums claiming she’s in the top 4

11 CG { 06.25.10 at 12:47 am }

Poor JoJo. Ironic that her elimination comes on the same day the Ruddster was rolled. Both are misunderstood souls and were more human in their final moments on the public stage than they were during all of their previous appearances. I shed a tear for both.

Jonno is one of the best cooks left so I am happy he is still in.

I opted to watch our new female PM face off against Big Red on the 7;30 Report so watched the episode via video from the MC website. The online version did not have Aaron pulling any “London Baby” stunts at the end. Someone was smart enough to cut them out. Sorry I missed that. And sorry I backed Aaron to win at the beginning, he has been a bit of a disappointment in recent weeks and surely must be one of the next to go.

I also note that Matt P. was present on Sunday’s episode when they did pastries and the winners met with Jamie Oliver. He was not around Monday and Tuesday for Heston and when Marion went up in the celeb chef pin challenge. He reappeared Wednesday in gay Paris. Was a no show tonighy and it looks like tomorrow’s masterclass has them back in Sydney.

This would imply Matt did leave the UK to go back for the Logies and they filmed out of sequence. Paris must have been filmed first, Jono and JoJo identifed as the losing team, then even though they were tagged for elimination they went back and filmed the pastry and Heston episodes? I guess this is ok so long as JoJo hadn’t been eliminated and had to “fake it” by filming earlier episodes after the fact. If this is taking place, the show will lose even more credibility.

Did anyone notice any editing errors that give away the out-of-sequence storytelling? Jonno’s burnt digits, for example?

12 Fides { 06.25.10 at 1:42 am }

CG : interesting theory re out of sequence filming. I like it! Had a look on the net and all I could find is that the Top 50 restaurants dinner was on 26th April. If the show is meant to be believed, they arrived 23rd and did the pastry challenge the next day. And as Jono was wetting himself meeting Heston at the awards dinner, the HB episode must have been filmed after the 26th. Matt was back in time for the Logies and Noosa food festival by May 1 or 2.

I’m more inclined to believe the pastry challenge was the first ep filmed, by mere fact Geo looked so haggard and grumpy and Matt’s hair was so tragic. I think his hair was looking normal by the Paris ep which makes me think someone got it right by then. If Paris was second filming day, it would suck to have been Jojo/Jono knowing for a few days that you are due to face elimination. If Jo had to fake the later eps b/c she’d already been canned, agree, that would be too much!

13 Z { 06.25.10 at 5:18 am }

That’s an absurd theory to say they filmed Paris before London… of course they didn’t! Masterchef may be a reality TV show first, and a cooking show second, but the contestants would never be required to “act” to that extent.They are merely “coached” when doing interviews, but not fed lines like many here believe.

14 smauge { 06.25.10 at 8:42 am }

I loved Aaron’s look – highlight of the show.
Jono is amazing. I so want him to win – I want a Jono cook book.

15 silent follower { 06.25.10 at 9:25 am }

i, too, believed that the filming was out of sequence. haven’t you noticed last night that Marion was once again wearing her ‘choir’ outfit when she commented during the last part of the episode?

During the Logies, Matt P also mentioned that the two Gs were still in London filming. So given that they arrived at the same time, they would have filmed the episodes where Matt was shown and have him flew back to Oz to join the logie while the rest stayed on.

I also found it weird that only Jojo’s husband and kids greeted her when she arrived home. Makes me think she’s coming back this Sunday!

16 Paul { 06.25.10 at 9:48 am }

One week of television generally takes two weeks of filming.

Its not filmed in ‘real time’.

17 Culinary Boner { 06.25.10 at 10:52 am }

The Boner very much likes Marion’s choir outfit. Must be a hangover from my catholic school days.

18 CG { 06.25.10 at 12:48 pm }

Paul, your input (ie 1 week = 2 weeks) makes it even more likely that the Paris elimination contest was done before the other Matt-free episodes.

19 Paul { 06.25.10 at 12:50 pm }

Huh…..

20 Suzanne { 06.25.10 at 1:13 pm }

Not sure about the Paris episodes, but went to this http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/harvey-norman-gourmet-institute-2010.htm last week, where Gary was very entertaining – but would not divulge who was still in it. He said they are filming 6 weeks in advance, they film 12 hours a day and confirmed the live finale.

21 Reality Raver { 06.25.10 at 1:17 pm }

Wallah I will have to check out the Jono George Dubya smirk.

Fides – Maybe he did say Marion but they dubbed him.

AT – I would be surprised if she wasn’t and Silent Follower suggests it was unusual that Jo was only greeted by her husband and kids rather then the extended family.

CG – Good call on the the filming out of sequence makes sense. In an article last week, they said the production crew had to scramble around with the schedule when the volcano has the contestants and judges in Aust and the crew in UK. They mentioned there were issues juggling the guest chef’s schedules as well, as they had them slotted them in on another week. So that would be a contributing factor as well. If Jamie is only available on the Thurs that was when they would have to do it.

Same with Heston. Also with the contestants doing their pieces to the camera were wearing the same clothes. I missed the Jono burnt fingers continuity thing.

Fides – I loved the hair analysis, the three judges hair styles could just about have their own blog.

Smauge – it would appear Marion is still the fave if my poll is anything to go by.

Silent Follower – Good points.

Paul – Agree the french challenge would have taken 2 days.

CB – Thanks for adding some intellectual substance to the blog post!

Z – they said they had to do some juggling O/S because their schedule was thrown out because of the volcano. And they had some quality chefs on their that have their own commitments.

22 seepi { 06.25.10 at 1:35 pm }

i would hate to hack up a pigeon also – poor Jo.

i think she is a good cook of the type of food she makes regularly, but not so good with unknown ingredients and concepts. she has done quite well with mystery boxes, but not so well copying the famous chef recipes.

I did wonder why only her hubby and kids were there to see her- poor Jo.

23 Fides { 06.25.10 at 2:09 pm }

Raver – love your dubbing over the “Marion” idea. lol so now I’m imagining that as they’re giving Jono the good guy edit, they also did not play the bit where he says, “Marion, I need to get rid of Marion.” And it wouldn’t make sense to say “Myself, I need to get rid of myself” though I’d love to have seen that complete with the crazy eyes.

24 pollywaffle { 06.25.10 at 2:17 pm }

Seepi – did it occur that maybe Jo aint got any friends

CG – only possible explanation was Matt P was detained in France for commiting cravaticide – never has it been known for a cravat to be worn so close to the Seine in such unstylish form

25 rusty { 06.25.10 at 3:14 pm }

polly

did it occur that (with very young kids) maybe Jo wanted to share the moment only with her immediate family? rather than a dozen family fringe and hangers-on?

not everyone craves a Facebook-style life

26 Culinary Boner { 06.25.10 at 4:27 pm }

Hey pollywaffle, the ultimate cravaticide was committed back home in those Handy Ultra adverts.

Looking forward to seeing Matt replicate Richard Griffith’s fashion sense from the great English actor’s role as the drooling, lech Uncle Monty in Withnall & I – http://www.withnail-links.com/griffiths.htm.

Oh. And a fob watch would be good to.

27 Injera { 06.25.10 at 4:34 pm }

CB: Uncle Monty! Good call – perhaps Richard Griffiths could be encouraged to play Matt in the biopic. I’m not sure that even he has the acting chops to do the plate smashing justice, though.

28 Culinary Boner { 06.25.10 at 4:41 pm }

Injera, a quote from Uncle Monty that must surely have been also written for Matt: “As a youth I used to weep in butcher’s shops.”

29 Injera { 06.25.10 at 5:12 pm }

Oh, I can also picture Matt saying this, CB:
“I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you’ll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot.”

30 TDK { 06.25.10 at 8:39 pm }

“andt”, “endt”

31 sourkraut { 06.26.10 at 12:41 pm }

CG
Same horse different jockey
Same old spin and bullshit!
And the bogans will buy it again. A country gets the politicians it deserves

32 Mich DeRo { 06.27.10 at 9:18 am }

At last Joanne is gone. I couldn’t wait…such a pretentious person