So You Think You Can Dance Australia May Be Gone

In sad reality TV news it is looking like So You Think You Can Dance Australia may not be getting renewed for a fourth season. It did not rate well this year, however they had changed the screening night from a Sunday to a Wednesday night.

The Daily Telegraph says that nothing has been decided and there will be an announcement in October.

Also in a later article in the same paper they say one of the issues is the animosity between judges Jason Coleman and Matt Lee. Why did I not know about this? But it might explain the lack of repartee between the pair this season. Maybe because Matt stepped it up this year and took over Jason as the judge who made the relevant comments.

Anyhow I think they are being hasty, sack Bonnie and bring in new personnel plus put it back on a Sunday would easily see this sagging souffle rise again.

PS This blog post is dedicated to Neil. LOL.

1 Fiona { 06.24.10 at 5:08 pm }

I think it is very hasty to cancel based on poor ratings, when a major factor in dropping ratings last season had to be the new day. Also Bonnie was a real handicap for the show, a fresh judge would have a huge effect. I hope they don’t get rid of the show. The only plus side is that perhaps Channel 10 may decide to screen some of the US show that we have missed.

2 librarygirl { 06.24.10 at 5:36 pm }

Replace Bonnie with Kelly Abbey. I loved that show, all 3 seasons of it.

3 Culinary Boner { 06.24.10 at 6:08 pm }

Bugger, how is one to get their Nat Bas kneecap and fish-eyes fix now?? Staring at Matt’s caps and ample forehead always gave one a sense that the universe is indeed a mysterious place. What now? Do I have to find another religion? And this show always had great fashion ideas – none worth replicating mind you. How is one to survive without a weekly dose of Jason-the-wanker-Coleman’s Plastic Bertrant dress sense? Especially those times he’d unbutton the top five buttons on his shirts to reveal his inner manly pastiness. And what the hell are we to do now Bonnie’s puppies won’t be on constant weekly parade? Can someone tell the heartless execs at Ten how much we will miss the pixelated form of her freckled furrows winking at us. Guess I’ll just have to find another set of televisual perversions to pursue. Hopefully Mary Murphy’s scream and Nigel’s bouffant will still be on our screens. But who can trust these Ten execs?

4 KC { 06.24.10 at 11:16 pm }

I hope Ten will screen the new season of American SYTYCD! Its the All-Star Season 7 and I’ve watched it and I love it (only because you get to see past contestants on it :D)

5 Georgina { 06.25.10 at 7:40 pm }

I like a lot of things about the Australian version. It’s more nurturing than the American version, especially at the auditions (the way they mock people on the US version disgusts me), and I think Jason and Matt are more consistently good judges than Nigel and Mary.

Nat Bas is an average host, though, and she especially suffers in comparison to Cat Deely (who is awesome). Bonnie doesn’t do much but say encouraging things. Three judges plus a guest judge each week is just too much waffle, and the constant product placement is grating.

But the biggest problem is that the last Australian season was terrible. Bad dancers, a lot of bad choreography, and a really messy feeling to it all. The judges kept saying it was the best season yet, but all but the top four were forgettable. Season two had a much better feel to it, and I’m not surprised the ratings went down. I stopped watching after a while and just came back for the finals.

Maybe we’ve run out of good dancers who’re interested in being on a reality show? The potential pool is so much smaller here.

6 Neil { 06.27.10 at 7:55 pm }

Just as well I popped back in to see if things had changed or not. What am I to say a whole article not devoted to Masterchef!

7 Gabbi Lee { 08.20.12 at 6:06 pm }

I love Bonnie! I could not fault the show nor could I detect any tension between the judges. SYTYCD was an amazing show, I love dance and this was amazing to watch as it opens up so many doors for dancers out there. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it back, I’m so sick of stupid ‘Everybody dance now’, SYTYCD was sooooo much better!