Masterchef Australia – Three back in and Claire Is Not Gaining Any Fans

It’s official Jonothan is not getting the worst edit on Masterchef Australia, Claire Winton Burn is. Tonight her likeability factor plummeted. She was very negative on the judging of the dishes and did not bother having a welcome back drink with the three returning contestants.  Nor did Aaron who was channelling his inner Gomez Adams. So either both of them are having an affair or they are totally pissed off. Poor form from both of them.

gomez1.jpg

Anyway I was a bit disappointed the seven remaining contestants picked it they were tasting the eliminated contestant’s dishes. Was that why Jimmy got back in as they knew for certain who it was behind the dish?

His soft shell crab with Roti Chanai got big positives for the crab, but not so much for the sauce. Marion  said “something in the sauce that make it bitter, but  kudos to the soft shell crabs”.  She said  she has had some shocking soft shell crabs in restaurants, which I would have to agree. I also thought it was bold of Jimmy considering the dishes are normally served cold.

I thought Courtney’s BBQ prawns with a fennel, orange and apple salad, looked fabulous and fresh. Also I thought her tactic of not doing anything too tricked up was a good strategy. Jono gave it the thumbs up and said “I am not a big salad person but I quite enjoyed it.” He also thought the prawns were cooked well, his only negative comment and I think they had to stay something positive and negative about the dish was “maybe the marinade could be stronger”.

Claire was the opposite and said the salad did not hang with the prawns. She said it makes the prawns woody.

Matt was positive and said he would be happy to eat this in a cafe. I don’t know what cafe’s he eats but my locals wouldn’t stump up anything that fancy.

Devon who I was kind of hoping to get back in dish of John Dory and cauliflower puree was not well received because of an acidic reduction. Devon deserved not to get picked as he did not taste the reduction before he put in on the plate.

Peter’s pan fried John Dory with smashed potatoes and prawn bisque was well received with a few criticisms.

Claire said “I like where the flavours are coming”.  But she wasn’t sure about the skin and thought the bisque was  bit lumpy.

Aaron did like the combination when tasted together.

I know George Calombaris was sceptical about Phil doing a dessert, however I think it meant Phil had the opportunity to stand out from the pack. However I just find Phil a bit thick and he would not be out of place on Jersey Shore. Why would you use a caramel technique you had never done before. It was like some revelation to him when George told him to do it the way he knew it. No one like his lavender cream that he served with the poached pear. And Alvin thought the pear was under cooked.

Jake’s thai inspired cuttle fish salad looked like the worst dish of the night – Alvin looked like he had been served up dog pooped. Adam said he did not know how to eat it. Marion said the flavours were unbalanced. And they all thought it was too salty.

They then had to decide which were the best three dishes. Claire didn’t like the curry which indicated she did not want Jimmy back in.

She thought the best was Peter’s dish.

Apparently the decision of who to let in was unanimous. When they saw who the contestants were Claire looke unhappy, and Aaron teared up.  Jono hung back on the hugs maybe that is what a typical IT dude does. Adam looked geniunie in his delight in seeing them.

The dish of the day was Jimmy’s curry and soft shell crab.

Courtney was back in as was Peter. Phil said he was shattered and he looked it. Gary said thanks for giving it a red hot go, which must please former NSW Premier Nathan Rees that a popular reality show had picked up his mantra.

Claire said she had mixed feelings about the contestants coming back in and looked like she had been bawling her eyes out.

I didn’t quite understand Matt Preston’s farewell maybe he should have stolen the two Ronnie’s goodbye.  “It is goodnight from me and good night from them.” as he gestures to Gary and George.

I am happy with the three that are back in and think Peter could make the final week.

1 skye { 06.28.10 at 11:26 pm }

Aaron looked like a complete tool, and behaved like one too – and we know it wasn’t just a bad edit as Gary called him out on his being “hacked off”. Honestly these people are way too old to behave so childishly.

Also in this house we picked Peter, Jimmy and Courtney as the ones we thought should/would go back in as they were the best cooks in the bunch.

2 dmc { 06.28.10 at 11:32 pm }

Although I think that fairness determines that people re-entering should go through a harder process that what we saw, I am also happy with those that went back in.

Imagine if Kate was standing there.

3 Suzanne { 06.28.10 at 11:32 pm }

Great recap RR. I too thought the best dishes and cooks got through. Best line of the night was Marion’s put-down to Jonathon about mixing the cuttlefish salad: “You’ve got arms”, with an unspoken “you idiot”.

4 NT Kate { 06.28.10 at 11:35 pm }

The tasting comments were very revealing I think.

First, Johno has obviously supervised people in the real world and knows how to do the negative comments without them being put downs (unless of course it is just that all his nasty comments hit the cutting room floor, equally possible). And showed a little more savy than most in working out where this was likely to be going…he is learning how to play the game, and that’s good as he might yet win.

Loved Alvin’s concern over his candid comments, even if they didn’t actually show us him being particularly brutal at all….

By contrast, Adam, Claire and Marion are not people I’d ever want to see as food critics based on that performance.

The entertaining things – despite all the usually sucky gushing in masterclass a few weeks back, they all hated Geo’s lavender cream (except of course Phil who got sucked in badly)! Jake still can’t plate up anything. Devon really did deserve to be eliminated early.

And why oh why do they always do this lemming thing, all going for seafood, or quail, or whatever the ingredient they all seem to latch onto that night? Why invent a new dish on the day when they surely had the ingredients to work with so as to produce something they had done before?

But I’m glad Jimmy at least is back – whether or not he can cook anything but curry, Gary seems to think he does a damn good job at that, and if he can appeal to even those anglo tastebuds, he has a chance of knocking off one or two of the pretenders.

As for the angst in the house, how immature – if they hadn’t expected this, they should have!

5 GeelongDeano { 06.28.10 at 11:42 pm }

I have gained respect for Jonathan and all the final 7 after witnessing some of the riff raff trawled back through in the last 2 days. Agree that Peter will be the only one to cause any waves with the top 7.

6 cravatwatch { 06.28.10 at 11:46 pm }

I admit that I absolutely laughed like a drain at Bad Hat’s sour grapes face when the other contestants were revealed – I haven’t seen such a childish resentful face since last time I made my nieces salad for dinner.

7 Ani Motek { 06.28.10 at 11:48 pm }

I hope everyone who thought that Jonathan has been out to get people will reconsider after seeing his genuine big smile when he realized people would be coming back in the house. Claire and Aaron in their interviews might have mouthed all the right sentiments but their expressions showed just how pissed off they really were.

As for the returnees, I keep seeing this combination of arrogance and self-doubt in both the UK MasterChef (whose format is miles better than the Australian one) and this one: contestants when given an open choice of what to cook weirdly decide to cook something they’ve never cooked before, like Peter’s filleting John Dory for the first time, or Philip trying a new way to do caramel. It’s almost as if they doubt that their regular food would be good enough to wow the judges but at the same time they’re arrogant enough to think they can pull off a completely new dish really well. I’m always amazed at this behavior: if it were me, I’d cook some dish that I’ve made for dinner parties a million times that everyone always loves.

I actually thought Philip’s dessert was going to be rated better than Courtney’s relatively plain salad. However, I was sure Peter and Jimmy would go through. I suspect, though, that Jimmy will not make it through much longer as it seems he can only do Indian really successfully. Peter might be a threat, although I still agree with nearly everyone that Marion is probably going to win.

8 Anon { 06.28.10 at 11:57 pm }

Jimmy appears to be unable to cook anything but curries. Sorry, but can’t recall him cooking anything else.

Would have loved to see the unedited reaction of the contestants if they have to bring up Julie.

All bad press for Claire? She did a photoshoot with Marion and Julie for AWW So don’t know what to read into that.

9 sourkraut { 06.29.10 at 12:05 am }

I can finally believe in Karma again. Twice in 24 hours. First one I’ve been waiting for for 44 years. Second one is Courtney returning after 4 weeks after the spearmintgate. Did anyone notice the picture of the “mint” shown tonite looked a hell of a lot different to the picture of the spearmint ????

Geo buy a razor. If your cafe is going broke due to lack of customers (having watched the masterchef lessons turnoffs) we can organize a whip around for one for you.

Skye yesterday “shook the tree as directed, butthe Newtonian gravimetric apple was nowhere to be found ..Alas!

Next round the last ten should have their dishes judged by the rejects.

The seven sounded like semi-intellectual try-hard wallies with some of the drivel they spoke about the dishes, only good thing was they picked the right returnees…….OR DID THEY???
Conspiracy alert….Where were the actual scores revealed? only Matt had them and did not tell us. Funny that the 3 returnees were the most popular (apart from the sky), how hard would it be to rig it so that they return?

Anyhoo I’m in too good a mood to quibble. KARMA You Beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 MolksTVTalk { 06.29.10 at 12:15 am }

It was the last 10 minutes of tonight’s ep that was both ever so telling & complete MasterChef gold – how the remaining amatas reacted to the eliminated amatas being revealed; the fact that was AFTER they had voted (even though they smelled a rat); & how they reacted back in the house .

Beanie Douche needs a kick up the arse & to be shown the door. He’s doing nothing expect pontificate in the narrations & he’s being a tool. Claire has taken this badly. I think she thought she had her run sussed (Survivor style) & this has screwed it up. Even Alvin’s side joke over drinks (Better sleep with one eye open tonight…) was indicative he feels threatened, although less than the former two. Callum seemed a little unimpressed also, although he was largely missing from tonight’s show. Perhaps he is next? No profile, not saying much…

Clearly Marion, Adam & Jonathan were quite happy to see Jimmy, Peter & Courtney return. The run for this new Top10 to the final week of the show will not be without it’s personality induced bumps.

Finally.

11 AQQ { 06.29.10 at 1:19 am }

I’m really glad Jimmy is back in!
Gotta say, I don’t care that he can only make curries. Ever since I saw his first spicy crab curry, I’ve been craving it ever since. Where can I get that exact recipe from?
Jonathan really has been put into new light since the whole Heston blumenthal debunkle. Hehe!

12 Fides { 06.29.10 at 1:23 am }

The only contestants I thought seemed genuinely pleased to see the returnees in their commentaries were Alvin and Adam. Marion was the most subdued I’ve seen her and like Aaron, the words did not match the face or tone of voice. But she has nothing to worry about, so I guess it’s just the shock and letting it sink in. Claire on the other hand – does she know how miserable she comes across?

Adam always seems to be the go-to guy for nice comments and his words at the end, about being pleased to see their friends and letting them have a chance to pursue their dream etc I thought were really heartfelt. He’s a sweetie!

13 Angel86 { 06.29.10 at 8:04 am }

To be honest, I was disappointed that Jimmy came back in. The only thing that he can cook is curries, and he proved that again last night. And to the point that it ruined the whole ‘tasting’ cover story because the contestants recognised it as Jimmy’s even though they were supposed to think it was randoms. For them to recognise it and make that jump in logic, he was obviously cooking something that he’s cooked a million times. He didn’t deserve to come back.

It was weird that the dishes that got a lot of criticism ended up coming back in. I would’ve liked to have seen the actual scores as well. For example, at the end, there was talk about how good Jake’s dish was but he didn’t make it through. Did they do what the conspiracy theorists think and put through the weaker chefs so they would be easy to beat?

I know everyone seems to think that Courtney, Peter and Jimmy are the strongest (even Gary) but I disagree. We never really saw Devon so we can’t honestly judge him. He was eliminated for sitting customers down too early and whisking eggs, hardly a sure sign that he’s a bad chef. And his dish wasn’t that bad, it was just the reduction, which admittedly he should’ve tasted.

I wanted Jake to come back. :(

14 capsicle { 06.29.10 at 8:13 am }

Hilarious episode. Firstly, two of the most candid lines we’ve seen from Marion yet – ‘you’ve got arms’ and ‘it’s channelling pot pourri,’ finally, some real personality from her! also adam is shaping up to be my new favourite person in the house, whoever said he’s a sweetie, i totally agree! very genuine

claire: what a miserable cow. has anyone noticed she still hasn’t managed to win one invention test? she has coasted through the middle of this competition and i’m absolutely sick of the sight of her.

also no one has commented on aaron’s PRETENTIOUS costume get-up? what the?

15 David Allen { 06.29.10 at 8:53 am }

I read Claire and Aaron’s long faces as the realisation that there were more weeks to go than they thought rather than any problem with the three returnees. Claire in particular hasn’t looked to happy recently. It’s not just last night. I think a show of this length would be very tiring for the contestants.

16 librarygirl { 06.29.10 at 9:31 am }

Capsicle -We LOVED Aaron’s outfit !
Thought he was chanelling Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice.
Reactions of contestants to returnees was so so revealing.
And they MUST have anticipated it after last year’s precedent – at least they got a say this time.
I agree with everyone else, Adam shone as the lovely person he obviously is. And Jono looked delighted too.

17 AnnyB { 06.29.10 at 9:34 am }

The following is from last year so possibly some here have already read it. It is an interesting insight into George’s life. Some of the highlights for me were on commenting on the refurbishment of The Press Club he comments that a signature scent had been created for it and stated “the biggest comment we get now is from girls who go to the toilet and love the moisteriser. You could put a dog turd on a plate and they’d still talk about the moisturiser”. What arrogance. However, I do admire his sheer determination and work ethic.

18 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 06.29.10 at 10:34 am }

Further to “spearmint-gate” what’s with the cutaway to what looked to me like a bunch of basil? Thrilled to see Courtney’s returned, and Peter. Would be keen to try one of Jimmy’s curries – they’re obviously distinctive and memorable!

19 Culinary Boner { 06.29.10 at 10:42 am }

“Mr Burns, your reality tv playthings are ready, sir”
“Well, well Smithers, how I’m going to enjoy smashing their hopes. They think they’re on the nicest reality show in history. And they expect to be allowed home soon. Well, they better prepare for a surprise. Mwaahahah…Release the returnee contestants, Smithers!”
“Yes, Boss.” *hestitates* “Are you sure you want to include the guy who keeps cutting himself and almost set fire to the set last time, sir.”
Burns irritated, “Yes, yes, Smithers, get about it man… I can’t wait to see their look of disappointment. Particularly the ones they call Beanie Douche* and the Stepford Wife**. Excellent Smithers, let the fun begin.”

* copyright, MolksTVTalk
** copyright RR

20 Wurstsemmel { 06.29.10 at 10:54 am }

I like Jonathan these days. There, I said it.

My favourite is still Alvin but I can’t see him winning. I’d like to see Peter do well but I’m not convinced he’s the winner.

I don’t really want to see Marion win. Maybe because I feel like it’s a foregone conclusion and I’m rebelling against that.

I’d love the see Claire go home next. She looks miserable, she has this sense of entitlement and I can do without that in my Masterchef viewing.

21 Buzz { 06.29.10 at 11:02 am }

Ah yes, gomez adams … I was trying to put my finger on who kirk pengilly had a love-child with to produce aaron.
Claire was hilarious.
Jono has an agenda.
Loved marions ‘you’ve got arms’ call.

22 Sooty { 06.29.10 at 11:18 am }

Fascinating to see Marion drop her big gawky I’m A Jolly Schoolgirl (trademark Rusty) persona – possibly a coping mechanism (I speak as someone who often turns into Scarlett O’Hara when nervous) – and speak like an adult, and a biatchy one too!

Poor Aaron – Beanie Douche!! Bad Hat!! Guy has thinning hair and is compensating or warding off bad tv lights. Plus it’s RocknRoll, ain’t it. I almost fell over seeing him leave London, thinking it was Marion gone groovy in the big hair and big shades… He looked positively liverish last night.

I was sorry Jake didn’t apply himself a little harder, but glad he got to leave the comp on his own merits and I think the three back in were the best – so at last – a bit of potential to upset the dull trajectory we’ve been on of Maid Marion as the clear winner. Yay!

23 rusty { 06.29.10 at 12:36 pm }

Ditto what everyone else has said about Droopy Drawers and the Beanie.

I enjoyed that episode – seeing the returnees being judged by theirold mates was good value, esp. the Jimmy moment.

Glad Courtney is back too, but I’d be surprised if the three returnees last very long, unless they have been practising like mad. The others have covered a lot of ground since even Peter left.

24 seepi { 06.29.10 at 12:36 pm }

i think Matt P talked up courtney’s dish as they really need another woman in there.

and i thought that mint they showed looked more oike basil too.

and i still like aaron. i don’t mind the outfits, and i thought he looked upset rather than angry. at least he showed up for the welcome drinks.

how awkward was the scene where they brought back the newbies and they were in a big row facing the oldsters. the show had obviously expected rushing together and hugs, but got tense silence and sullen stares – you can’t script everything!

25 Fides { 06.29.10 at 1:30 pm }

I rewatched the show to look at the reactions again, and what I really noticed was Marion was behaving, definitely not as Rusty’s Jolly Schoolgirl but as a sullen schoolgirl. She had this little, one-shoulder shrug she did repeatedly in her commentaries – the equivalent of a “whatever”. Eg, and I could be misquoting here, but the gist of it was “Of course they should get another chance” shrug. Has anyone noticed the shrug before – maybe she does it all the time and I’ve previously seen it as a cheerful, anything goes shrug?

I think for the Top 7, it would be shattering to think their imprisonment in reality tv land would be continuing for perhaps 4-6 weeks longer than they might have expected. Perhaps off camera, they’d been led to believe as top 7, there’s only a few weeks to go, as last year there were 6 in the finals… there is no evidence for that but if it were the case, it would be so disingenuous of the producers, and I can understand their shock and disappointment. Though when they initially signed up and gave that time commitment, surely they would have known how long filming might take.

And I love Adam all the more for teaching Phil to play the ukelele.

26 duke nukem { 06.29.10 at 1:58 pm }

Alvin probably thought the lavender pear concoction was Skye’s dish and that’s why he tried so hard to find positives about it. He must have been disappointed his bestie didn’t come back into the house.

27 Mama'sMilk { 06.29.10 at 2:11 pm }

did anyone else around the country get the Coles “want the recipe for Courtney’s salad” ad in the first ad break? Kind of a dead giveaway that she was going to get in!

I actually liked Marion’s critiques myself; although critical of some dishes, she seemed to come up with articulate answers for what element of the dish was at fault, not just “it didn’t hang together” It was nice to see her talking like a grown-up too. I get the feeling she’s been dumbing down her commentary but could actually be quite smart.

And I liked the ukelele comment too!

28 seepi { 06.29.10 at 2:38 pm }

we got the coles ad for courtney’s prawn salad before she had even decided what to cook.

the food critiquing really annoyed me for some reason. i mean does every dish in the world have to have an equal amount of sour/sweet flavours??

29 Airwalk { 06.29.10 at 2:40 pm }

Didn’t mind Marion’s comments…Alvin’s and Adams seemed well mannered as well. Of course Aaron and Claire edit and MIA from the drinks at the end portrayed thrm as sourpusses…Aarin in particular as Claire is always montone and suicidallike. Callum wasn’t shown much…Geo’s Julie hugged them all sppiel was a bit much. So whats the real story behend CWB and Dick Dastardly not having drinks at the end? Peter’s a jolly happy fellow though isn’t he?

30 pollywaffle { 06.29.10 at 3:34 pm }

Julie probably hugged every contestant at every convenient moment, man she had a sweat problem and with no handee wipes that year, a human wipe will do

31 pollywaffle { 06.29.10 at 3:38 pm }

Is anyone totally sure that Marion is not part of the MC’s worlds biggest surprise, twist, shock, flip, – she’s actually Kylie Kwong having a larf?

32 Paul { 06.29.10 at 4:19 pm }

Claire could have been upstairs on the toilet for all we know when that shot was taken.

Can’t jump to conclusions based on that.

33 Airwalk { 06.29.10 at 4:21 pm }

excuse my shocking spelling-bad typing-above

34 More fireballs please { 06.29.10 at 6:43 pm }

Are the controlled and subdued responses just seething passive-aggression?

35 pollywaffle { 06.29.10 at 6:45 pm }

How can Claire ever face her clubby lawyer set if she wins MC having beaten a bunch of prawn peelers

36 KC { 06.29.10 at 7:48 pm }

I AM SO GLAD PETER IS BACK IN 😀 I was squealing so much 😀 YAY GO PETER 😀

I was a bit disappointed with Aaron’s reactions and I love it how he was so obvious with them and didn’t bother to hide it. But I do have to say, if I was in his boots, I’d be pretty pissed off too. I mean they got so hard to get to the Top 7 and now they’re back up to Top 10. And like with Jono missing his family and hoping the show would be ending soon, Aaron probably really misses his missus (hahahaha so punny) and I think he wants the show to end soon but now its still going.

Its funny Aaron’s reaction is like that though because the boys in the house seem pretty tight now. Him and Jono and Adam have like this little boys club when you see them together and Jono was actually heading to sit with Aaron and Adam but there weren’t enough seats. I don’t know why I notice this kinda stuff though LOL

Still gunning for a Marion win 😀 I mean I have a few favourites including Jono, Callum and now PETER (I LOVE HIS ENTHUSIASM :D) but Marion is really just so awesome!

37 Softshell Jacke Kind { 04.22.12 at 10:49 am }

[…] Jacke Kind Masterchef Australia – Three back in and Claire Is Not Gaining Any Fans /* Settings for Syon Policy */ #syon-privacy { font-family:Arial; font-size:12px; } Softshell Jacke […]