Masterchef Australia – The Risotto Challenge
Well if there was any resentment from the top seven contestants to the three who re-entered the Masterchef Australia competition well it must now be magnified even more with Courtney and Peter performing well in tonight’s beat the chef challenge.
Tonight the 10 contestants were up against Young Chef Mitchell Orr cooking Saffron and Bone Marrow risotto, with prawn reduction, and liquorice dust. They had an hour and 20 mins, which was a 10 minute head start on the celebrity chef.
Mitchell was working at Sepia but he is now working with Adriano Zumbo on a savoury menu.
It was to be a blind tasting, with an opportunity for one of the contestants to get an immunity pin.
Jonathan went down a couple of pegs in my estimation when he confessed to never making risotto. Anyone with half a brain once they hit the top 50 would have at least practiced the dish. His was a disaster as he tipped two much saffron into it, and once he plated up it looked like spew albeit without carrots.
Claire was having an up day as she said I am cooking risotto and I am having an awesome day. But then plateaued out with this is a “trainwreck” comment. Also weepiness occurred later as she was waiting for her dish to be judged.
I think the resentment from the contestants has occurred because they are exhausted, whereas Jimmy, Peter, and Courtney have a real energy about them.
Donna Hay, Matt Preston and George Calombaris are judging. I thought Donna showed much more confidence and personality tonight he is she getting over her nerves?
This is what they had to say:
- Marion’s had crunchy rice , but Donna said it had good flavour. Matt thought it was 2 minutes off being a good risotto.
- Callum’s not as good as plate one
- Aaron – “Not one of my favourites” said Donna
- Alvin – Not bad said Donna.
- Courtney – “This is aldente” said George and Matt said it “has set the bench mark”.
- Claire – “a really good attempt at that dish” said Donna
- Adam – “Risotto has good flavour, but that prawn is impeccable” said George.
- Jonathan – ” It would be impossibel for it to taste worse then it looks,” said Matt. But by the looks on the judges faces it did.
- Jimmy – silence
- Mitchell Orr – “Taste fresh parmasen and butter, absolutely delicious,” gushed George.
- Peter – by the presentation they thought it was Mitchell’s, however I think that was just to create suspense.
Courtney, Peter and Mitchell were the top three, with Mitchell winning, so there was no immunity pin for anyone.