Masterchef Australia Apparently Other Channels Are Wanting A Piece Of The Action

With Masterchef Australia hitting the 2 million viewer mark last night it is not wonder other TV networks want a piece of the action.

The Daily Telegraph are reporting that Channel Seven are very interested.

The article states:

Rival networks are chasing Australia’s most popular program, with Seven boss David Leckie said to be eyeing one or more of the show’s judges for a rival hit.

Industry sources yesterday claimed Leckie wanted either Matt Preston, George Calombaris or Gary Mehigan, with a plan to lure one from Ten in a bid to throw a spanner in the ratings juggernaut, which is attracting almost two million viewers every night.

It followed earlier speculation that Seven was looking to poach MasterChef, bringing it to the network once Freman- tleMedia loses the production rights to the show at the end of 2011.

But Leckie, who has form, having previously snaffled Thank God You’re Here out from under Ten’s nose, yesterday rejected claims he recently met with MasterChef’s three key stars.

I have never met this mob. They’re too cool for school and it’ll be interesting to see what they’ll be doing in a year’s time,” Leckie told The Daily Telegraph.

“MasterChef is not available to poach. We are busy with the next series of My Kitchen Rules, making it bigger and better,” head of programming Tim Worner said.

My Kitchen Rules Season 2 will be shown this year. So it will be a big end to the year for Seven with MKR and The $20 million The X Factor.

1 Paul { 07.01.10 at 11:52 am }

Me thinks Mr Leckie protests too much.

As if they wouldn’t want Masterchef. I know it would interfere with Ch 7’s over 85’s demographic but surely it wouldn’t hurt to get some programming on that station that appeals to younger audiences…..

Interesting that the story appears now just when Fremantle Media are negotiating with Ten over the rights from 2012 onwards. A cynical person might suggest that News Ltd and Seven were pushing the price up so as to impact Ten’s bottom line……..But that would never happen, would it ?

2 Reality Raver { 07.01.10 at 12:15 pm }

Or maybe Fremantle Media planted it… to push up the price.

3 pollywaffle { 07.01.10 at 12:19 pm }

(7) will need double the cravatt allowance and perhaps their doorways

4 MolksTVTalk { 07.01.10 at 12:22 pm }

There’s another series of My Kitchen Rules? Haven’t the winners from Season 1 kicked on…

God help us all.

5 spend a penny { 07.01.10 at 1:28 pm }

Im astounded that C7 is only seeking the hosts and none of the fabulously talented fresh young cooks of the century. Are they unaware this crop can simultaneously peel prawns and watch a very small man speaking Cheflish bounce on the spot and follow every word he says.

6 Fides { 07.01.10 at 1:32 pm }

I know. More MKR? Do we really need it? Oh dear, I’m remembering the tedium of those dinners parties. Wonder if Pete and Manu regret jumping ship.

7 Reality Raver { 07.01.10 at 1:37 pm }

If Leckie wants a cooking show, why doesn’t he do an Australia version of Top chef or Hell’s Kitchen. Now either of those shows would rock.

Fides – yes MKR only got interesting when they hit the kitchens.

spend a penny – LOL they have the fabulous cooks from MKR to look after.

Molk – oh so true, reality tv wasn’t life changing for any of those contestants.

Pollywaffle – Maybe they are offering him the talk or travel show that he so badly wants.

8 Paul { 07.01.10 at 1:43 pm }

RR,
They’ve also got Come Dine With me as well. I’m sure they could get it off Foxtel reasonably cheapish and lets face it MKR was just basically a rip-off of it as well.

9 Anonymous { 07.01.10 at 2:10 pm }

Paul, is that really you spruiking a conspiracy theory?

10 Reality Raver { 07.01.10 at 2:21 pm }

Can’t speak about Come Dine With Me due to litigation threats I got from a contestant on the show.
For the record I am still waiting for the lawyers letter. Not sure if that was related to Lifestyle having to shut down their forums.

11 Jacqui { 07.01.10 at 9:33 pm }

One word: Manu! :) Can’t wait for MKR!

12 Sourkraut { 07.02.10 at 12:12 am }

Much prefer MKR. At least they did not claim to be the best chefs on the sunny side of Uranus!
Any hoo why waste time with the Gs or arrogant matt? Surely they can find better than taht and especially have something more diverse, not French and Italian all the time!

13 Laura { 07.02.10 at 2:12 pm }

I don’t understand why no Australian channel has picked up the rights to Top Chef. Best cooking show ever – largely due to the excellent judges and cast but I’m sure there is some talent out there in Aus.

14 Reality Raver { 07.02.10 at 2:22 pm }

Laura I agree, I think now is the time for it. We definitely have the cooking talent, and I think the stigma of going on TV shows to promote yourself has diminished. Any chef knows that a good showing on Top Chef means your career or your restaurant gets a huge boost.

Who should host and judge? Now that would be interesting. Matt Preston would have been good, but now definitely not as he is a parody of himself. Possibly Simon Thomsen, Jill Dupleix would be good as well. I love Matt Moran in the Tom C role but there would be a heap that would be excellent in it.
Host? No idea. Someone that will actually eat the food, unlike Sarah Wilson who was not allowed or unable to.

15 Wurstsemmel { 07.02.10 at 2:44 pm }

MKR has Manu. Enough said.