Masterchef Australia – Aaron Must Be On His 8th Life

You just know that the macaron tower is going to be the next big thing at weddings.  The croquembouche is now so last season.

The “patissier of pain” Adriano Zumbo had created another difficult task for the Masterchef contestants to complete. Poh Ling Yeow would have loved it and wonder if Zumbo has been on her new show, which is still going on ABC1. Injera continues to watch it and has given her mid-season assessment of Poh’s Kitchen on her blog Blah Blog Blah.

Before I get into the episode I just want to whinge about how Channel Ten continues to put unintentional spoilers out there. Regular commenter CG spotted that Marion was in the previews for Wednesday night’s army challenge, and the latest edition of TV Week had Alvin and Marion in army fatigues.

If you have a spoiler or want to read some go to my specific spoiler thread here.

Anyway the contestants had to make one hundred and twenty macarons, therefore 240 halves of the kalamata olive ganache and raspberry beetroot butter cream. Actually is olive the new dessert/baking ingredient? We’ve had it in George’s mother carrot cake and now this.

They had three and half hours to complete the challenge, and I thought it was interesting that Marion started on her filling first, I am presuming it must have needed to set.

The contestant’s were pretty nervous about the daunting challenge. George asked Alvin “Are you confident?” “Ah no” was his response.  Aaron was saying he needed three and a half days, and Peter was laughing hysterically to camera.

The only person looking like they were in their element was Callum who was confidently yelling out instructions from the peanut gallery.

After an hour Marion looked like she was working well and Peter was impressing me with his tray carrying skills.

I was also impressed with Aaron’s tolerance to pain as he carried them straight from the oven to the cooler.

They were all having varying degrees of success with their macarons, Marion’s pink ones looked great but the purple ones not so good. But what they all had in common they were running out of time. They all cut down their tower as they were not going to finish, which made me think the judges or producers told them to do it.

To try and build drama Jimmy was being dramatic about how bad Peter’s tower looked, but to be honest it looked no worse then what the others were plating up.

Peter was first up to the judges and I loved the way Zumbo was just cracking up when one of his macaron’s fell off onto the  table, whilst Matt Preston was looking like the gulf oil spill had just spread to Sydney Harbour.

“Fillings not there” said Zumbo about Peter. Gary chimed in with “Inconsistency is a problem”.

Alvin was next, his were the best looking biscuits but there was a size issue with the olive ones as they were tiny.

Marion’s raspberry macaron’s were gushed over but her olive ones were too hard and crusty. I loved the way when the judges were pontificating on who was going, Zumbo was gushing over how Marion was a “machine” in the kitchen. Gary immediately subtly reminded him that they needed to create some suspense by talking about how bad her olive ones were. Zumbo looked suitably chastised.

Alvin’s was judged the best, with Peter eliminated. Aaron who is giving new meaning to mediocrity manages to stay in the competition for  a few more days.

By the way in New Idea this week I pick Marion to win the competition. I really wanted to pick a wild outsider (one of the reasons I never back the winner in the Melbourne Cup) but decided I would stick with the person who at this stage does deserve to win.

If you are feeling like you have a lot of time on your hands here is the link to the recipe of the macarons.

1 sourkraut { 07.06.10 at 3:40 pm }

Rusty
Especially the ones that threatened to break Geo’s teeth
Smauge
I have been growing fresh herbs for over 35 years and I know spearmint when I see it. For Courtney to get the bullet for CORRECTLY naming it and being specific about it is DISGRACEFUL, particularly when later contestants in similar eliminations were asked to be specific, when initially they had not been. Point is Courtney displayed superior knowledge by correctly naming the “erb” when she could justb as easily avoided unfair boning by saying “Mint, Duh, gary anyone coulda told you that!”
Hope that explains why I was not altogether gruntled about it

2 Fides { 07.06.10 at 4:09 pm }

Aaron should release a self-help cookbook. He loves to philosophise with all that cliched garbage “what won’t kill you makes you stronger/ your weaknesses will come back to bring you down” blah blah blah – so painful. What he thinks he’s Plato?

Think he lost the beanie because he needs to prove there is no rodent in his hair pulling the strings (ala Ratatouille) , or as these current eps were filmed well into the season beginning on TV, one of his nearest and dearest has informed him that people. with their “I want to grab his beanie off his head and stuff it down his throat” comments, are not taking too well to it.

3 CG { 07.06.10 at 4:10 pm }

Polly, I live nearby Red Lantern and I agree with RR that there are far better places for Vietnamese food in Sydney at 1/4 the price, too. I’ve tried RL twice and have been disappointed both times. Try Cabramatta or, if too far out, Marrickville. If you are coming to Surry Hills, may I recommend Toko for cocktails and Japanese nibbles or Mille Vini for a glass of wine and tapas, followed by Bistrode which is great for a winter mea (but book ahead). And in addition to Zumbos, if you have the time and the room, try a tart (of the ginger brulee or chocolate variety) from Bourke Street Bakery.

4 Fides { 07.06.10 at 4:12 pm }

And sour – I’m totally with you on Courtney and the disgrace of mintgate, and how MC refuses to concede that they were or even may have been wrong. So I’m all for Courtney making up for lost time now.

5 Suzanne { 07.06.10 at 4:17 pm }

CG: Any names of places, especially in Marrickville? Number 2 son is moving there soon, so we will have more excuses to go there. I like the food at Red Lantern, which is great compared to the useless Vietnamese restaurants in Wollongong, but would be keen to find places a bit cheaper. Don’t get me started however on their group booking policy!

6 MelbaToast { 07.06.10 at 4:37 pm }

Suzanne – check out this blog http://www.streetfood.com.au.

These people frequent the inner West and I’ve been to quite a few of the places they’ve reviewed and they’re yum.

7 CG { 07.06.10 at 4:39 pm }

Suzanne: there are a bunch of Vietnamese restaurants on Marrickville Rd and Illawara Rd. The last one we tried which was fab – busy but fresh and good value – is called “Bun Bo Hue” on Marrickville Rd. RR would be more expert on this part of town than me. Perhaps she can tell us some of her favorites.

8 Suzanne { 07.06.10 at 5:00 pm }

Sorry to be off topic RR – but thanks MelbaToast and CG!

9 smauge { 07.06.10 at 5:54 pm }

Stay away from him Melba – he’s mine!
And I’m another Inner Westie who can vouch for the Viet restaurants in Marrickville. If you travel a wee bit further up the road to Dulwich Hill we have a nice one here on Marrickville Rd too.

10 smauge { 07.06.10 at 5:56 pm }

BTW I’m a she – so “hope HE comes back soon” does not apply to me. 😉

11 Pollywaffle { 07.06.10 at 6:05 pm }

MT, Suzanne, Skt et al great info on the eateries guys but Im seriously weighing up the advice from folks that are prepared to do the rhumba with Zumbo, I think he is quite evil and sugar is his weapon for world domination.

No actually all good options, I will now have to extend my fake 2-day ideation conference for a couple more days by adding in some fungi shui workshops

12 Pollywaffle { 07.06.10 at 6:13 pm }

Forgot CG too – Tempting, but ( thats a phrase Matt P doesnt subscribe to), I will need to invent a Masterclass to cover your suggestion

13 KC { 07.06.10 at 7:13 pm }

I GET IT NOW why I find Courtney annoying!! Its actually the same thing as Marion. They have the same kinda comments but because for some reason, Courtney is getting ALOT of airtime right now, her interview parts are a little irritating. I get the same feeling for Marion but because she cooks so well and I absolutely adore her which is why I choose ignore those interview parts 😀 Courtney is a good cook too but I’m way to invested in the Marion camp to really fully support anyone else HAHAHA

Aww…all this Aaron hate…He really isn’t that bad…Although I do have to say his time is up.

I have to go to Adriano Zumbo FO SHO

14 smauge { 07.06.10 at 7:35 pm }

When Zumbo achieves world domination I will be by his side licking my lips. My restuarant suggestions should be taken completely seperate from this goal.
I don’t hate Aaron, I just think maybe a few of the eliminated contestants must be thumping their TVs for being taken out before him. He was fuming when the returnees arrived. He should have been rejoicing – more people to be thrown under the bus before him.

15 rusty { 07.06.10 at 7:50 pm }

I don’t hate Aaron personally: he may be funny round the house, and Claire may be the sweetest, too. It’s their kitchen professional mien and/or poor skills I comment on. One good dish every 5 weeks is not a chef in the making.

Which means Jono’s time is up, too. And I like him.

16 Sourkraut { 07.06.10 at 9:48 pm }

Polly w
I thought the position of full forward fot the Western bulldogs had now been taken up. The odds of it having happened though would not require Paul to work out, as it was a lay-down misere from the word go

17 Reality Raver { 07.06.10 at 11:21 pm }

Pollywaffle – I hope sugar is Zumbo’s only weapon to achieve world domination.

Suzanne, CG, and Melba Toast – I second the blog http://www.streetfood.com.au and reviews one of my faves http://www.streetfood.com.au/2010/06/pho-bac-hai-duong-review-2-vietnamese.html it has hands down the best pho in Sydney.

The yum cha at the chinese (cnr of Petersham and Marrickville Rd) is nice if you are in the area. Old Thanh Hung is an old standby but can get packed. A couple doors up from there on Illawarra Rd is Eat Me Thai with a cook from Spice I Am. It is nice Thai, but beware the salads they are chilli hot, and I am not chilli adverse. Even the little vietnamese milk bar a couple of doors down is nice.
For Greek the Corinthian (Marrickville Rd) is very tradition but nice. Also cheap for takeaway.

Good coffee can be found at Kelby’s, Freepour, and Cafe New Deli.
CG – Glad someone agrees with me on the Red Lantern. It is certainly not to vietnamese cuisine, what Kylie Kwongs is to Chinese.
Concur re: those Toko cocktails, sensational, and I like Bierre and Pizza as well.

Oh Rusty you may be right about Jono it may have been awhile that he has popped out a good dish. However his cake at the Langham Hotel tea challenge was pretty good.
I think Adam is peaking at the right time

NT Kate – I am still not convinced about Alvin’s cooking – even though the judges loved his mystery box on Sunday it still looked like puke on a plate to me

18 Sam { 07.07.10 at 6:42 am }
19 smauge { 07.07.10 at 8:58 am }

Totally agree with RR re. Chinese restaurant cnr Petersham & Marrickville road. Hung Cheung? We’ve always called it the Hung Low. I’ve always thought you can tell a good Chinese restaurant by how many Chinese are eating there. Most times we’ve found ourselves to be the only non-Chinese eating there. Not just for Yum Cha but for any meal.

20 Inner West LIVE { 07.12.10 at 4:56 pm }

Yum Cha Hard 7.0 – Glebe / Ultimo Fish Markets…

We found your entry interesting so have added a Trackback to it on the Inner West Live weblog :)…

21 www.modernshadesolutions.com.au { 03.24.13 at 3:41 am }

I have been browsing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
It is pretty worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters
and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet might be a lot more helpful than ever before.