Masterchef Australia – Marion Gone – So They Can Rig It Last Week?

Well Masterchef Australia is not rigged, unless of course one of the contestant’s gets run over by a bus next and the last person eliminated comes back in ie Marion Grasby.

Well if the show is not rigged it should be. Last week they had a bullshit elimination challenge where the two underwhelming contestant’s, Jimmy and Aaron, were kept in the show, and this week one of the alleged best cooks in the show is not going to make it to final’s week.

And don’t I look like a douche proclaiming to New Idea that Marion is going to win, that is what happens when you are not prepared to swim against the tide. I suspect they already knew and I fell right into it. But that is cool still great publicity for the blog.

On the plus side I have saved myself some $$$ on prizes for who will win season 2 competition.

Was Marion eliminated because they thought it was obvious she was going to win and they wanted to create some controversy and a more even playing field, or was her satay sauce actually the worse in George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan’s opinion. Not two people known for having great asian palates. I would have liked David Thompson guesting for this episode.

Also Channel Ten fail when about 20 minutes into the show there was an ad for Sunday night’s show there was Aaron wearing his beanie, so I knew at that stage either Jonathan or Marion were gone. This is on top of the TV Week having photos in their edition on Monday showing both Alvin, and Marion in army fatigues when they were up for elimination in the Monday night episode. Is this some new media strategy they have to put spoilers in their show’s publicity?

When I saw an article of her yesterday in the Daily Telegraph I thought to myself this looked a bit like the week Joanne was eliminated where she got a lot of publicity, but I thought no way it is time for Aaron to go.

On the plus side for Aaron props for him for not curling up in the foetal position when he saw he was going head to head with Marion cooking satay sauce.

Also the taste test was fairer with the competitors having to name all the nuts not being rolled when they named one that was wrong.

Marion is launching her own food range, but how well will it go now she did not get to the final week, I know we won’t forget her, but I am hard pressed to name any contestant outside the top six from last year.

This fuckery would not happen on Top Chef.

So guys how do you feel about this?

UPDATE: Some quotes from the press release.

“But since going home I have made plenty of satay sauces – and, yes, they are thick! In fact, I’m bringing out my own satay sauce in a range I’m working on now.”

“My mum makes satay sauce all the time and I’ve made it loads of time too,” admits Marion. “I wanted a thick satay sauce but I was trying to get the right balance of trying to make a sauce the way my mum makes it, and getting the consistency right. But it was slightly too thick and didn’t stand up to Aaron’s sauce.”

Both satay sauces were outstanding, but the judges couldn’t ignore the thick consistency of Marion’s sauce and she was pipped at the post by Aaron’s flavoursome creation. When the judges broke the news that Marion’s time in the MasterChef kitchen had come to an end it was hard to tell who was more shocked – Marion, Aaron or the judges.

Mmm why would the judges look shocked when they were the ones that allegedly made this decision…..

1 Airwalk { 07.10.10 at 5:35 pm }

Yeah I emailed RR to let her know how I felt, she kindly responded. Yes I am unfortunately in Perth atm :)
Yes we must share a brain as I feel exactly the same as you stated above in regards to Paul and that is the only reason I have posted(I asked RR to pass my email address on to you to say hi). I agree, the majority on this blog seem to have good natured banter and that is why I revisited it after finding it during MC last year but Pauls attacks have turned me off posting but make sure you keep posting :)
Here’s a link for all :) ciao
btw salsify is quite different to parsnip-more akin to the flavour of jeruselum artichoke I would say. Quite common in the US but hard to even get seeds in WA let alone the vegetable.
Also during the nuts identifying challenge…when they were informed the last 3 nuts were in their shells…I think Jon uttered the F word-noughty boy. Shame Marion went(she seems lovely)—I don’t really care who ‘wins’ this farce

2 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 5:49 pm }

Rusty
Semi apology accepted.
Just because I think the two of them are arrogant (as portrayed by the editing of this stupid show) does not mean i hate them. If I dislike seeing them win that is another matter.
Hate is a highly emotive word and only belongs in the realms of twitter and facebook, in fact it does NOT BELONG there either.
and while I’m preaching:-
CG and Paul chill out. you both have the right of free speech and interpretation but i think its going a little far. As I’ve said b4 if you dont like the posts dont read them. Heaps of people cant stand my opinions , so they dont read them either. fair enuff, infact i’ll give you a break for a week.
YES I can hear the Hoorays from here.

3 Paul { 07.10.10 at 6:18 pm }

This is ridiculous and AW you are an absolute disgrace printing something that I edited and did not want to appear on the blog.

I’ve seen some low things on internet forums before but thats about as low as you can go.

PS : I’m not actually ashamed of what I wrote either. Its just that I didn’t want to drag RR’s blog down with another petty argument so at the last minute edited my post.

I didn’t expect someone to publish it but then again I didn’t know how low some people would stoop. What a nasty piece of work you are.

And I’m really sorry RR but I have to defend myself against this shit. I didn’t intend for this to happen.

Sour,
These two keep attributing comments to me that I don’t make and then go post after post with general crap about it. It happens again and again and again. First, I thought it was general stupidity but as we’ve seen with this vindictive and low post of AW’s, maybe there is another agenda.

I apologise to all other readers of this blog. I am as pissed off as you are and I completely understand your frustration. Please understand I am only defending myself against comments not made by me but attributed to me. That is all.

4 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 6:20 pm }

RR, you are probably busy previewing the new reality show Masterchefs – Tribal cooking in the Outback, but in case not, it would be fab at some stage if you could empty in your raw blog comments into this baby and see what words stick out ( Paul?) http://www.wordle.net/

5 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 6:32 pm }
6 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 6:41 pm }

Gee thanks Anon….Polly loves a picture

7 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 6:45 pm }
8 CG { 07.10.10 at 6:46 pm }

Isn’t Wordle cool. Looks like it is picking up poster names and names of posters appearing in posts!

On a more serious note: PETA is now weighing in and calling for Paul’s release! :-)

9 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 6:49 pm }

At least that Paul was right

10 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 6:58 pm }

one Paul is psychic
the other Paul is psychotic

one Paul is an oracle
the other is an a-hole

11 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 7:15 pm }

Airwalk
i’m not sure which post upset paul. I only looked at the one about Zumbo’s little splatterpissery.
Now I am thoroughly depressed. Are people really so insecure or stupid that they have to go like a bunch of try-hards to instantly buy some crap seen on Masterchef cos it must be grate if its on there.
No wonder advertising works
No wonder idiots buy handeeswipe
No wonder the crap show has 2 million viewers. Shit a brick that ARSEHOLE Goballs would have been proud of this effort
no wonder we have the state govt that we have had for 16 looooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggggg years.

12 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 7:20 pm }

Pauls comment @ 19 above echoes Mel Gibson trying to sue the mother of his newest child for contempt of court for releasing(allegedly) tapes of him ranting on.

13 AniMotek { 07.10.10 at 7:27 pm }

@dmc: Most of the eliminations have been at about the level of the satay sauce so I’m not sure why you thought that this one in particular should make any more sense – people have gotten whacked for not being able to whip cream quick enough, or calling mint “spearmint” so why should things be different now? I’d love to see eliminations (and the whole contest, for that matter) be more about showing how well the contestants actually cook when left to their own devices but that’s not what the show has done up to now. Therefore, complaining about Marion leaving on a single dish elimination seems a bit unrealistic.

14 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 7:31 pm }

Exactly AniMotek, you hit it on the head although I haven’t noticed them cooking. Running, hiking, getting out of bed, talking to camera…but cooking: I missed that bit(but if Callum, Jimmy or Aaron are in the fnal 2 it will become a comedy)

15 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 8:34 pm }

Comment 162 is referring to 153

16 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 8:46 pm }

Anonymous 164
It already is!
Glad i did not read the thing at 19. Its rather sad ALL ROUND

17 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 8:49 pm }

Sourkraut How was your pizza? If you are full watch this (if not it should make you hungry especially Part 3)

18 Reality Raver { 07.10.10 at 10:23 pm }

Well I am about to dish out a bit of “spank and fluff” to quote Gary Mehigan –

Paul, CG and Airwalk,
I have had an absolute gutful of the shenanigans that continues to go on this blog.

1. This is about reality TV which is meant to be fun and lighthearted, and I think I am really lucky to have a blog where the majority of the comments are witty, intelligent and respectful.

2. All three of your comments ARE like that, EXCEPT when they are directed to each other.

3. It is unpleasant for me, and possibly is for other readers. (Some people have contacted me about the ongoing squabbling.)

4. Currently and for the next 2 weeks due to the Masterchef phenomenon, I will have my highest readership for the year (though I am expecting The X Factor to be big), with 1000’s of new people hitting the blog daily. This is a time where I have the opportunity to increase my readership.

5. I will be drafting a comments policy that will be posted over the next few days. I would appreciate it if it was adhered to.

19 gandke { 07.10.10 at 10:24 pm }

I agree with CG { 07.09.10 at 6:53 am } ..and others with similar posts. We have to always keep in mind that, regardless of the stated and perceived aims of the show, at the bottom line are ratings and money.My guess is that Marion will be very successfull with her “line of food” and Aaron (although clearly an inferior chef to most of the contestents), will have his own show…on the 10 Network…that will capitalise on both his experiences in the “Rock N Roll” industry and his “sucesses” in MasterChef. But, of course, I may just be a cynic.

20 Pollywaffle { 07.10.10 at 11:45 pm }

Like Soil through the drum sieve so are the Masterchef Debates of our Blog

21 MC Masochist 1 { 07.11.10 at 12:45 am }

CG Think we could skip the ‘odds’ this week and put 8 pics in a tank with some morsels and see which one Paul picks? Sourkraut and Pollywaffle to choose the morsels to match up with each amata chef?

22 MC Masochist 1 { 07.11.10 at 12:56 am }

RR…sorry was just jealous you missed me out of the spank and fluff :)

23 Pollywaffle { 07.11.10 at 1:02 am }

RR, if you can just refocus on stuff that includes ‘spank and fluff’ with ‘Adam Melonas’, forget the MC final 2 weeks, that alone will ensure your site will burn a mighty hole into the earths core

24 Pollywaffle { 07.11.10 at 1:03 am }

MCM1 -Unfortunately I’ve heard Paul ( Octopaulie) loves a fish curry

25 MC Masochist 1 { 07.11.10 at 1:52 am }

Nah Pollywaffle to make it a real competition ya gotta match up each amata cook with some morsel…eg. Aaron=mexican pasta…Callum=dessert or Clearisil etc etc(you would come up wif some classeeks)? Or you saying Paul likes Jimmy?

26 Pollywaffle { 07.11.10 at 1:57 am }

Tis right, Paul goes for a rancid curry at any time of day/night…but if we bait him with a sea sponge ( Callum lamington)…he might crossover

27 Reality Raver { 07.11.10 at 10:05 am }

MC Masochist – I have rectified that now.

28 Pollywaffle { 07.11.10 at 11:35 am }

Now these are the challenges you’d expect to see for each possible elimination if it was the fairest possible MC –

Callum – Spotted Dick
Alvin – Mee (not) Goreng ( you are)
Claire – Scientologist Slice
Aaron – INXS XO Tex-Mex Corn Chip Amuse Bouche
Jimmy- Yum-Yak Curry with Roti
Jonno – Rheeeeeubarb Fool
Adam – SueShe (and He while you’re at it)
Courtney – Lobster Parma

29 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 2:08 pm }

MCM1
I think Paul The octopus is Kaput. I had seafood pizza (not masterchef calss crap) which had occy on it. Anonymous 167 It was great. Thanks for the link . Have not looked at it yet, but certainly will this pm
Raver 168
Halleleujah!

30 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 5:38 pm }

Injera
Hot elimination
I got dem ole lumpy sate blues
Hot chestnuts
just wanna do it in my shoes
OLE

31 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 5:52 pm }

Anonymous 167
That PORK looked AWsum!!!!!!!1
Pity about the waiter with the tatooed arms
Was also waiting for the Mr Creosote syndrome to kick in

32 hine { 07.12.10 at 7:57 am }

Looks like Paul might have been right-Spain just scored(any luck getting him to pisk the Masterchef winner as suggested above?)

33 Dianne { 11.10.10 at 5:08 am }

I am watching Masterchef Australia, here in NZ at the moment. Have to say it is a lot better than the first round. At least we don’t have to watch Julie, dishing up uncooked food, and crying every five minutes. The talent is so much better. I have enjoyed this series so much more. Anyone of the last 6 contestants could win.

34 reality raver { 11.10.10 at 9:38 am }

Dianne – it was an ongoing debate on this blog about which season had the strongest cooks. It was another great series.

35 claud kruger { 11.16.10 at 5:25 am }

Sorry but the first season cured me to watch any more of this bad show,good production though.Did the jugdges really think they would do what they did without the viewers realizing whats going on?and Curtis sorry dude no more credibillty in my books any more.

36 Dianne { 11.16.10 at 8:53 am }

I wasn’t going to watch the second series, but you know how one gets hooked into these shows, and it is on at 5pm in the evening here, so it is at a time that doesn’t interfere with programs I enjoy at that time. I see everyone is saying Marion should of won. Well oddly she is about the only one, that I find thinks she is better than everyone else. I am not keen on her attitude.

37 Jon { 02.08.12 at 10:32 pm }

does George piss anyone else off. How this guys has three hats is beyond me. Can someone tell him how to hold a fork or spoon. The guy is the neanderthal man of Australian food. Look at guys likes Heston who are humble and talented and George comes across so churlish and spiteful.
Dont get me started on Matt Preston either.
Wouldnt trust a word that comes out of this guys mouth.