Masterchef Australia Odds – Since Marion’s Elimination The Market Has Changed

Well this week the odds have changed dramatically and Marion’s elimination has made the show more interesting.

If readers don’t know I called Marion Grasby to win in this week’s New Idea – “I cannot see Marion losing,” says RR. “She’s extremely popular on all the polls – way ahead. After last year there was a bit of ho-hum-ness about Julie winning, especially among the foodie set, so Marion would be a popular all-round winner. She can cook, she’s likeable and great talent on TV. I’d be very surprised if she doesn’t win.”

Thank God in the other parts of the article when I was naming the other would be contenders I did not mention Peter, as I was tempted to name a wild outsider, otherwise I would have looked like a greater douche. Reality TV expert fail…

Anyway here are Paul’s odd’s and his blurb for this week below – I am now picking Adam as he is getting a good edit at the moment.

$4.00 : Jono, Adam

$6.00 : Claire

$7.00 : Alvin

$9.00 : Courtney

$16.00 : Callum

$18.00 : Aaron

$34.00 : Jimmy

Well, Marions departure has certainly thrown the betting upside down. Adam hasn’t done a thing wrong really in my opinion but neither has he starred. Jono is very unpredictable. Capable of brilliance one day then producing a shocker the next. Claire and Alvin the next best whilst I think that Courtney could be a real smoky.

1 Lindy { 07.09.10 at 11:07 am }

Am I the first? Woohoo!!

I’d put actual real money on Courtney on those odds!!

2 MolksTVTalk { 07.09.10 at 11:12 am }

Don’t beat yourself up on the New Idea article, RR. If you could pick that , stop blogging & start punting.

It’s all good promotion. :)

3 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 11:42 am }

MolksTVTalk – I am not beating myself up, as all publicity is good publicity. Think Adam might win, though as Lindy said Courtney could do it if she is focused for the next few weeks.

4 rusty { 07.09.10 at 11:51 am }

I’d pick Adam, But doesn’t he live in Japan? Would he still be a marketable winner?

BUt after last night, it’s all down to luck or ratings (or was it being called jigging?) anyway, so probably some one trick pony like Aaron or Jimmy.

if if were purely a cooking comp. I’d like Jonno or Alvin’s odds

5 Lindy { 07.09.10 at 12:00 pm }

Thinking over this a bit more – I’m wondering how different the results might have been had the top 24 gone through on the UK Masterchef system. I doubt Callum would still be there, and for sure Marion would. Definitely a better test of their skills. And, imo, just as entertaining.

6 AnnyB { 07.09.10 at 12:03 pm }

Marion is to be interviewed on ABC Radio 702 at 1.00 this afternoon.

7 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 12:21 pm }

AnnyB – thanks will try and listen.

Lindy – I wonder if the ratings would be as big with the UK type format.

Rusty – Kind of hoping top two are Jimmy and Aaron, just to have to watch Gary say “You are the top two amateur chefs in the country”

8 Fides { 07.09.10 at 12:26 pm }

I thought Adam actually left/quit his job with Disney in Japan, so depending on his visa status, don’t know if he can go back to Japan without a job. Looking at his tweets, he must have felt pretty stifled being a lawyer. Raver, I’d say his disastrous koftas are the most wrong thing he has done, but it was a biggie.

Marion was on the Circle before cooking Laarb – poor thing says her mum was angry about her thick satay sauce. She’s a busy girl today – she’ll also be live blogging on Daily Tele from 12 (I’m going to try to get a message through) and thanks AnnyB, I’ll tune into 702 as well.

9 Mark { 07.09.10 at 12:27 pm }

Can we actually place bets or is this just for fun?

10 brain dead dave { 07.09.10 at 1:11 pm }

What about some odds for Wrestlemania?

11 CG { 07.09.10 at 1:50 pm }

Hasn’t Marion’s “shock” elimination proven that setting odds on a reality TV based on COOKING TALENT – which is how these list reads – is a joke?

If we must have weekly odds, they need to incorporate the objectives of MC as a reality television show and franchise: cooking ability + marketing attractiveness + surprise factor. If these factors were used the ordered list would look something like this:

Adam
Alvin
Callum
Jono
Courtney
Jimmy
Aaron
Claire

12 rusty { 07.09.10 at 2:33 pm }

CG

don’t you think Adam is a bit “Tetsuya” to be marketable?

13 littlepetal { 07.09.10 at 2:39 pm }

Marion was just on 2GB. She was really nice. You actually can hear “the smile” on her face. You know what I mean. She must be a busy girl today.

14 CG { 07.09.10 at 2:47 pm }

Rusty: Adam is a bit Tetsuya in his cooking style! But he has quite a quirky and cheeky personality and is far less shy and reserved than Tetsuya. So I think Adam could work well as the winner. My only reservation is that he hasn’t shown tremendous cooking strength other than Japanese and some other Asian dishes. So his focus would be quite narrow. Julie was “home style mum” but she could do her mediocre stuff across breakfast-dinner-desserts. It is also a valid point about Adam living in Japan but I assume if he won MC2 that he would remain in Australia. The broadest cook left in the comp at this stage could be Jono (he tends to French but seems to have broader skills) and Alvin (who tends to Southeast Asia but can make link to Aussie “cuisine” and has more basics down than most of the others – ie baking).

15 sourkraut { 07.09.10 at 2:59 pm }

Rusty
jono worshipping again?
Go COURTNEY (and Paul i couln’t give a stuff if she bats left or right or both handed. that is TOTALLY IRRELEVENT)

16 CG { 07.09.10 at 4:22 pm }

Sour, A number of the final lucky 8 are gay or bi. I agree: So what! Who cares! Can’t believe this would factor into anyone’s assessment!!

17 rusty { 07.09.10 at 4:50 pm }

sour

?

My “fav” is actually Courtney, I just mentioned J in relation to cooking skills. In fact, I can’t recall ever saying anything much about anything other than his cooking, and not much about that.

18 Paul { 07.10.10 at 9:13 am }

sour,
I don’t think I have ever mentioned it as a factor, have I ?

19 Sourkraut { 07.10.10 at 5:32 pm }

Paul
Why mention it at all? You have several times!

20 Paul { 07.10.10 at 6:04 pm }

Sour,
Twice actually and never in relation to the weekly odds for the simple reason it doesn’t matter to me.

Once in the face of some bazaar conspiracy theory and another in regards to her not being interested in the soldiers the other day.

The only thing I consider is cooking ability as that is what the show is all about. I don’t believe in all the the other rubbish that is purported to go on.

Australia is a mature county. Whether a contestrant is gay, athiest, muslim or whatever doesn’t matter any more on reality shows and nor should it.

Come on mate. You’re better than this.

21 pluck a duck { 07.10.10 at 7:43 pm }

Is anyone rushing out at midnight tonight to get a copy of the Sunday Telegraph to see if they’re profiling one of the remaining MC contestants?

If the Tele is profiling one of them, that’s probably bad karma for them based on Marion’s fate this week.

22 CG { 07.10.10 at 10:27 pm }

Hmm a “bazaar conspiracy theory”? What’s that?

I know: next week the Masterchef contestants meet up with the Sex and the City Girls in Marrakesh and go shopping for exotic spices in the souk. The challenge is to see who can cook the most aphrodisiacal dish with Samantha joining the G’s on the judging panel?!…

Wow. Who has a problem with comprehension and basic English?And no my dear, that is not a typo!

23 Reality Raver { 07.10.10 at 10:59 pm }

Pluck a Duck – I am not THAT much of a fanatic, but I hope it is not Jonathan….

24 eye-can-cook { 07.11.10 at 3:39 am }

Anyone but johnathon to win,even aaron(!)- who probably won’t go much further.I like courtney too,regardless of her sexual preference,it’s irrellevent,but don’t think she’ll win either.Just anyone but ”mr smug”I wouldn’t eat his food or buy his book,he’s too self absorbed.Hope he goes next but I think the judges will protect him,especially after this so-called marion scandal,which isn’t really a scandal anyway.Just a media beat up to sell more of thier newspapers.

25 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 10:47 pm }

Paul
Yes the country is mature, so why bother even mentioning it?

26 Sourkraut { 07.11.10 at 10:49 pm }

CG 22
If that ever happens I will dead set nuke the tv

27 hine { 07.12.10 at 1:00 am }

Sourkraut What is an immature country? I know people who have been abused and beaten up due to their sexuality. And how mature is a country that does not give equal rights to gay people. Sorry just found the ‘mature country’ cooment weird?(not originally from Sourkraut)(sorry to go off the topic of masterchef)