Masterchef Australia – The Adam Melonas Effect

Oh well now Marion Grasby has gone I thought I would ease the pain by doing a blog post on this week’s Celebrity Chef challenger Adam Melonas. He certainly had presence on TV with Claire looking smiley and Donna Hay simpering. However his dish was also interesting and it was one of the more interesting celebrity challenges to watch.

He has blogged about the Masterchef Effect for him on his website call The Madrid Lab.

He wrote:

For the most part I have been very humbled by the reaction, its not everyday that you get 900 messages in 1 day, plus my website came very close to crashing due to unprecedented amount of traffic in such a short space of time!

1 thing I would like to say which has surprised me a little is, if you spend your life looking backwards then you will miss the beauty of evolution and everything which is amazing in the future. There have been some people who have reacted badly to the dish I chose to present and have been making negative and baseless comments. The dish is not one which I am preparing today but actually an adaptation of one which I was doing 5 – 6 years ago. I chose this dish as it was going to be a good learning experience for both the contestant and also the viewing public, I was hoping to expose you to some new techniques and to give you an insight into what is happening at the moment outside of Australia. Please keep in mind that the dish was never supposed to be one which you could prepare at home, let’s leave those kinds of dishes to Jamie Oliver and let me show you what I as a fellow Australian do.

There were many comments on the combination of egg and peas………………… Was that really the hardest part of the dish to understand? How many people have actually tried Eggs, Peas and Fresh truffle? Normally I would smoke the egg for 24 hours using grape vines but I didn’t have this kind of time during the filming, how would you of reacted to a smoked egg? I can tell you first hand, this is a delicious combination and one which makes a lot of sense the moment it hits your palette.

My second is to address the people who thought Green was unappealing and artificial looking. I am not sure how to tell you this, there are a large majority of vegetables which are green and if cooked correctly they will also be bright green. So as we prepared the peas correctly they were a florescent green, if it was brown then this would be overcooked. I think thats enough said on that point.

In regards to the use of Chemicals, I didn’t use any chemical in what I prepared. All the food additives which were used are all extracted from natural products such as Sodium Alginate which comes from seaweed and Gellan which comes from another type of seaweed. Gelatin is widely used in the food industry and it is taken from the hoofs and cartilage of animals, which one sounds more natural the one which comes from animals or the one which comes from seaweed? How many of you have eaten Burger king onion rings? Did you know these are actually onion puree which gets formed back into perfect rings via the use of the same Alginate and calcium reaction which you saw on the show? Would this stop you eating them? Of course not!

I was also interested to note he will be opening a restaurant in New York, and there are talks for a TV show in the USA. I hope we get to see it in Australia!

But the best bit of the blog post must go to a lady commenter called Kim when she wrote  – On coming to this site I really wasn’t expecting that you would be needing to defend yourself in any way. You came across as talented, generous in spirit and innovative. . . and i must say – visually quite compelling as well!

I couldn’t put it better myself.

1 MolksTVTalk { 07.09.10 at 12:12 pm }

You ladies & your heart-throb chefs. Talk about setting a high bar!

2 Gillian { 07.09.10 at 12:18 pm }

All I want to ask is this guy single? Phooooooooar …

3 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 12:24 pm }

Gillian you need to get to Madrid NOW.

4 Gillian { 07.09.10 at 1:41 pm }

I’m looking at ticket prices now haha …. hopefully, he reads this blog. We might have the first RR wedding :-p

5 skye { 07.09.10 at 2:02 pm }

haha, I thought he was “visually compelling” too!

6 KC { 07.09.10 at 5:50 pm }

He was visually stunning 😀 And talented 😀 And his justification made me like him even more 😀 Does he have a restaurant in Sydney?

7 Pollywaffle { 07.09.10 at 6:15 pm }

My bar’s just melted

8 gnomeangel { 07.09.10 at 7:12 pm }

Damn. I hate that someone has put themselves out there and then had to respond to the lower end of comments. I have no problem with him defending his decision as I think it provides an added depth to his choice of dish, which I personally enjoyed hearing. It’s just a shame that people feel the need to make everything personal.

His excitement really appealed to me during the show – although I am guilty of tweeting that he had a little ‘crazy chef’ going on, but I’m guilty of a little ‘crazy tweeter’ going on at times so I think we’re even on that score.

9 Reality Raver { 07.09.10 at 10:31 pm }

Gnome angel – I have to confess I wasn’t too enamoured about the dish on Tuesday night, but enjoyed watching all the technique that was being used. But once I read the blog it made me curious to try it.

Gillian – I think Mr Melonas would be a hard man to get down the aisle.

Pollywaffle – ha ha.

Skye – I just loved the way she wrote that instead, “man you are hot”

KC- No restaurant in Sydney he seems to fly a bit higher than that.

MolksTalksTV – who knew there were so many cute chefs. I reckon guys in bars are now pretending to be chefs rather then lawyers or doctors.

10 Adam Melonas { 07.10.10 at 12:59 am }

Dear Reality Ravings,

My manager told me about this story and comments chain and I couldn’t help replying :-)

Thank you very much for all of your kind words,

The MasterChef forum didn’t bother me, in fact I actually appreciate being given the chance to debate the topic which I love most in this world……….. Food!

I only wish people were not so quick to judge something they don’t understand as bad. For those who made comments about only liking traditional food and denouncing evolution in food, I have only 1 thing to say to you: Move to Italy where their “Democratic” government has outlawed the use of certain food additives which are required to cook progressive cuisine. All in the name of preserving their traditional cuisine.

I have had an incredible amount of support as well, so all is not lost in the world :-)

Kind Regards from Spain!

11 Anonymous { 07.10.10 at 1:55 pm }

I hate peas no matter how many textures it comes in, don’t think comparing you dish to Burger King’s onion rings does you any favours (and for the record I’ve never eaten one and probably never will after that description) and still think the
ost appealing thing about that dish was the chef cooking it. There aren’t enough words in the world to convice me this is a better style of food. But that’s just my opinion…

12 smauge { 07.10.10 at 2:01 pm }

Sorry folks-the above comment was me on my iPod. I forgot to sign in before I replied!

13 Pinto { 07.10.10 at 5:15 pm }

RR. You have hit dizzy heights with a comment from the man himself! I agree that he was visually compelling (loved that Donna was simpering) but doesn’t he seem entirely engaging, articulate and dare I say it- nice?