Masterchef Australia – The Marion Interviews

Every weekly gossip magazine has interviews with Marion Grasby from Masterchef in them. To be honest there is nothing that exciting in them, mainly talking about her relationship with Tim and how she will  be bringing out a food range.

But one quote did interest me when she was talking about THAT satay sauce:

“My flavours were spot on, the judges liked the flavour it was just consistency – it was a bit too thick for them.”

Tim adds: “The funny thing is, we couldn’t actually find a “thin” satay sauce in Thailand.”

I know, I know I just need to let it go….

1 Sooty { 07.15.10 at 4:05 pm }

RR- would it help to remember the amount of peanut butter she added? It wasn’t just a thick sauce, and a case of the ignorant judges not getting the different varities. It was “claggy’ George said.

Many satay’s add/use peanut butter but Marion added a monumental amount of it to an already thick chunky style sauce.

It reminded me of when Adele added way too much tomato paste in her elimination round.

2 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 4:20 pm }

Tim sounds pretty thick. He must feel under more pressure than Matt Preston’s toilet seat to be stuck with Frumpzilla.

3 smauge { 07.15.10 at 4:22 pm }

She hasn’t stopped defending that damn sauce since she got out. It might have been good. And y’know what? Aaron’s STILL might have been better!

4 littlepetal { 07.15.10 at 5:03 pm }

George said it was claggy after a few spoonfuls. Silly George, you don’t eat satay sauce by the spoonfuls, you dip your meat in the sauce.

George just want to justify why Marion’s sauce was not good.

5 smauge { 07.15.10 at 5:07 pm }

Maybe – and I might be reaching here -maybe IT WASN’T GOOD SAUCE

6 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 5:16 pm }

Sounds like something Basil Fawlty would say to a complaining customer.

7 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 5:36 pm }

Tim : “The Prince of Wales was here last week and said it was the best satay he’d ever eaten, but what would he know,eh?

8 Sooty { 07.15.10 at 5:39 pm }

Jeez, they tested the pesto by spoon also.

Satay sauce is also used to coat skewers of chicken etc. There’s – as the judges said at the start of the challenge – a lot of different regional variations, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Malaysian and so on.

9 dmc { 07.15.10 at 6:02 pm }

The issue wasn’t the sauce but the silly elimination of one of the strongest cooks due to crap task planning by MC. She got into the elimination on the back of a poor team challenge (not an individual one), had a brain explosion about a nut, and made a disappointing satay sauce. And out. No real cooking involved!

Aaron’s satay sauce did look better.

10 anon { 07.15.10 at 6:11 pm }

Aaron’s sauce looked an unhealthy yellowish colour

Based on what he usually does to his food, he probably added cheese to it.

11 Gillian { 07.15.10 at 6:14 pm }

Despite the smile, I think Marion is a very competitive person but let’s face it, Aaron’s sauce was so much better!

12 anon { 07.15.10 at 6:21 pm }

All these experts on satays here.

All gifted with the ability to divine through the medium of Tv how both the sauces tasted.

13 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 6:27 pm }

Coles should display Marion’s sauce next to the rat poison.

14 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 6:40 pm }

ie rats love peanut butter.

15 Pollywaffle { 07.15.10 at 6:58 pm }

Marion’s got her finger on the consumer pulse, smokingly, but she’s a peanut shell if she hasnt figured insurance claims from a kid or two hundred blowing up as they sneak some of Marion’s satiate sauce

16 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 7:10 pm }

Got to be a peanut shell…she’s definitely not a bombshell.

17 reality raver { 07.15.10 at 7:35 pm }

Brain Dead Dave – I think she is pretty attractive, some great photos in the mags this week.

BTW I don’t care what her sauce tasted like, I am sure that Aaron’s was not that far ahead and they should have ditched him. It is ridiculous as shown by the black squid ink, truffle, chilli, cheese pasta combination rolled out last night.

18 Anonymous { 07.15.10 at 8:39 pm }

BDD – I’m glad you added comment #14 – the previous comment sounded unnecessarily bitchy

19 brain dead dave { 07.15.10 at 9:11 pm }

I note Matt Preston’s not there for the fish test….Ch10 don’t want the embarrassment of him being identified as a whale.

RR ,sorry for the Marion comments.I went a bit far.

20 Marie { 07.15.10 at 9:21 pm }

Pretty obvious this was all rigged. They set someone for success and then they unexpectedly get eliminated to cause drama. It’s drama that people like on TV. That’s the case with Marion. We saw again with Callum when he got through.

Examples?

Jimmy not winning at Indian Challenge
Adam not willing at Japanese Challenge
Poh not winning at Chinese Challege
Adele not winning at Italian Challenge

They first create a sense of expectation of that contestant, then decide to judge against that particular person just to prove the audience wrong.

21 Jenny Draut { 07.15.10 at 10:26 pm }

that is why i stop watching and simply read on this blog…

ratings ratings more ratings.

then the viewers are the suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 pluck a duck { 07.15.10 at 10:35 pm }

RR – yes, it is time to let it go re Marion, as we know people get shafted in the elims in this mascarade eg remember that other Gen Yer bloke, Matthew, who was eliminated on a technicality (the type of apricots) in one of those sudden death taste test elims (not even a test of cooking ability), even though didn’t he have the dish of the day the previous day?

Plus, there’s probably another couple of shafts left in this mascarade before it’s over, that you will be able to go ballistic about – so keep your powder dry for those.

And, in any event, Marion should do quiet nicely out of MC all things considered – so don’t cry for me Argentina!!!

23 Sooty { 07.15.10 at 11:08 pm }

Anon #10 and Anon #12 – are you the same person??

If so, good call on the sauce-expert wankers.

24 Gillian { 07.16.10 at 12:37 am }

@Sooty: easy there tiger!

25 Sooty { 07.16.10 at 8:38 am }

Gillian
I was teasing anon for insulting some of us (while doing what he seemed to me to be saying we were in this discussion), not calling anyone else here a wanker. I thought my comment was quite funny. Well, I laughed. Quite a lot.

26 smauge { 07.16.10 at 9:29 am }

Just realised my comment #18 came up as anonymous. I don’t like to hide my identity when commenting, but I forgot to sign in on my iPod.

27 reality raver { 07.16.10 at 9:40 am }

Sooty – I keep on conveniently forgetting about Marion putting the peanut butter in her sauce.

Brain Dead Dave – wasn’t having a go at you, just I have been surrounded with Mags with Marion in them ad nauseum and I have been thinking how attractive she is also has a lot of warmth about her. I think I feel a bit guilty about not giving her a lot of love on this blog, but I thought it was going to be Marion, Marion, Marion in the last week…

Pluck A duck – agree I have to get over it, let’s hope a half way decent cook wins. I am now starting to think it is going to Courtney.

Maria – I am sure it is manipulated, however I don’t think they could have expected Marion and JOno to go in the one week.

28 sourkraut { 07.16.10 at 2:23 pm }

hoo cares?

29 sourkraut { 07.16.10 at 2:28 pm }

Marie
its not to prove the expecting audience wrong.
It IS because these judges are so 1 dimensional (if it aint french we dont want to know about it) that they seem to have no clue how to judge Asian food and whats more they have no desire to do so