The American Masterchef Preview

Hopefully a local station will buy the rights to the US version of Masterchef, as with Gordon Ramsay as host it looks like it is going to be great.

1 AnonyMousse { 07.16.10 at 9:25 pm }

Well, we all know Ramsay so I’m more curious about what the other two judges will be like – Joe Bastianich and Graham Elliot Bowles according to Wiki. I’ve never watched Top Chef, but one of the judges, Graham Elliot Bowles, was apparently a contestant on “Top Chef Masters”. Anyone see him in that?

2 Injera { 07.17.10 at 11:05 am }

Oh, I do remember GEB on Top Chef! I could never figure out where his first names stopped and his surname started. He was on Masters.

I have a feeling the US version of Masterchef will be even further removed from its antecedent than our version. Could just be an opportunity for Ramsay to call amatas “donkeys”.

3 Paul { 07.17.10 at 1:35 pm }

Injera,
Just form that promo it seems they have ‘softened’ Gordon somewhat.

Yanks make the best television in the world in my opinion and I don’t think they would be that stupid to stray too much from what has been so succesful here.

How much money have Fremantle made from the oversaes rights sales ?
It must be ridiculously unbelievable.

All this talk of cookbooks and sauces and how much money they may make is pretty laughable really. Seriously its like a 5c piece in your pocket compared to what they are making from the real game – advertising and overseas sale rights.

4 AnonyMousse { 07.17.10 at 4:16 pm }

The one thing America can put into reality shows that countries like us can’t is resources – people, money, infrastructure, etc. They have a far larger population to pick a top 20/24/whatever from, they can probably negotiate with companies/corporations to get much more impressive backdrops to cooking challenge than a cruise liner or a jumbo jet, and they can just pour more into the show than an Australian one ever could (unless they’re a low budget show). So, there’s always potential there.

Having said that, the personality of the judges and the contestants are just as important as any of those (season 1 of the Australian show was lauded often for the positive and upbeat nature of the judges, which I haven’t seen so much of in season 2, as an example), so it remains to be seen just how interesting it will all be.

5 Injera { 07.17.10 at 7:14 pm }

Would Fremantle make money from it though, Paul? I would have thought that any Masterchef franchises outside the UK would have to pay licence fees rather than earn from additional franchises. You’re right, though, Ramsay seems a bit toned down, but that is relative! Or perhaps I just sense more menace in his “be afraid” than I would if it came from George or Gary!

Agree with both you and Anonymousse that the Americans do reality TV in a more slick way than anyone else. I really hope this is picked up locally.

6 Andy { 07.20.10 at 2:36 am }

How annoying that they haven’t bothered to name it MasterChef America. Just because they’re America they don’t need a subtitle.