Channel Seven Announces An Australian Version Of Iron Chef

In the after glow of the Iron Chef Sakai appearing on Masterchef Australia, Channel Seven has announced they have bought the rights to Iron Chef.

The cult cooking show originally screened in Japan, and there is also a popular US version that you can see on Lifestyle Food.

The Daily Telegraph suggested Matt Preston for the role of Chairman Kaga, however Channel Seven said he “polarises” audiences.

Channel Seven are also on the hunt for three iron chefs. It will be interesting to see what cuisines they pick.

Firstly I think they should go for an unknown for the role for Chairman Kaga. But if they are looking for a face a person who has the right amount of flamboyance would be someone like Julie Zemiro. If Paul McDermott was not doing Good News Week he would have been fabulous for the role as well. Hopefully it won’t be Dicko.

For the Iron Chefs, I think they could have Shannon Bennett,because he was the last chef I saw on TV and that is how far my memory goes! Only joking I liked his style last night, relaxed but assertive, and he has the cooking credibility. There has to be an asian cuisine specialist, so either Tets, Shaun Presland, or Kylie Kwong. Personally I would go for someone less known. And just to drag in the viewers what about Adam Molenas?

Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing George Calombaris under a bit of pressure either. Oh and let Poh, as a challenger go head to head with someone as I think she would be well suited to the kitchen stadium environment.

By the way I know this show is not strictly reality TV but I will be covering it.

1 Culinary Boner { 07.21.10 at 2:49 pm }

As long as its not Larry Emdur or some other lame-arsed ‘identity’ currently under-employed on the 7 roster. In fact, is their anyone on the 7 roster who’d be capable of the immaculate merging of cheesiness and gravitas that is Chairman Kaga? Unfortunately Matt Preston would seem the only viable candidate.

2 Kaylen { 07.21.10 at 2:50 pm }

Hee.

You can’t see me, but I’m doing a little happy dance.

Let’s hope ch7 doesn’t mess it up. 😉

3 sourkraut { 07.21.10 at 3:02 pm }

Boner
You are kidding.

4 Paul { 07.21.10 at 3:04 pm }

Deal or No Deal is getting hammered in the ratings.

Andrew O’Keefe.

Surely they wouldnt do that to us though.

5 Pollywaffle { 07.21.10 at 3:23 pm }

Shaun Micallef would be be good to take the piss

6 MolksTVTalk { 07.21.10 at 3:27 pm }

Look to a Ch7 celeb currently being “rested” as the host of Australia’s Iron Chef. That’s my mail…

7 Paul { 07.21.10 at 3:29 pm }

Molks,
Male, female, food industry ?

Some clues please…..

Think I’ve got it – Dicko.

8 Culinary Boner { 07.21.10 at 3:40 pm }

Sourkraut, how else is Matt going to follow the same trajectory as Dicko’s stellar career? As was the case for Dicko, Matt had a good first season in a new high-rating show. Second season sees the star starting to wane as he is sucked in by publicity and his ego. But his market price continues to rise on the interest of rival networks. Finally jumps to another network for mega bucks and immediately proceeds to lose all his mojo. Getting off the booze killed it for Dicko. Perhaps Matt will go on the Pritikin diet?

9 Paul { 07.21.10 at 3:48 pm }

I like the way you think, boner.

Very similar paralells.

Both came from successful non show-biz careers berforehand as well.

10 AnonyMousse { 07.21.10 at 10:04 pm }

I love Iron Chef. I really do. But I’m not sure Australians could pull it off without being self-conscious/cringing about it (ie, realising that they look like a prat while they’re holding the Australian version of a plum or pear in their hand – I’m guessing a lamb chop or a bbq sausage – as they arise into kitchen stadium).

I agree with Pollywaffle that Shaun Micallef might be able to pull off hosting. But maybe the best idea would be to head down to the local theatre and find whichever actor’s chewing the most scenery – that’s the sort of person you probably need.

11 Injera { 07.21.10 at 11:20 pm }

The Chairman Kaga role is actually quite minor – it probably should be a complete unknown ham, as per AnonyMousse’s suggestion. That way they can build the cheesy mythology that he’s a wealthy dilettante who has engineered these battles, as per the original.

Dunno that it will work, but I’m someone who even watches Ready Steady Cook and what is Iron Chef if not RSC on steroids?

12 Sourkraut { 07.22.10 at 12:20 am }

Paul keating

13 Sourkraut { 07.22.10 at 12:20 am }

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

14 Culinary Boner { 07.22.10 at 12:15 pm }

Sourkraut, Keating would be perfect. I can see the set design featuring giant French antique clocks and a theme based on Mahler’s 3rd.

15 Culinary Boner { 07.22.10 at 1:24 pm }

Injera
As per your spot-on “wealthy dilettante who has engineered these battles” comment what about these options:
Rodney Adler, Peter Holmes a Court, Justin Hemmes, Alan Bond or, my favourite, Ray “Skeletor” Williams?

I reckon Malcolm Turnbull would be pretty good too.

16 Culinary Boner { 07.22.10 at 3:03 pm }

I have been thinking further about this critical element for Seven’s new show.

Yes, yes I am bored at work…
And I now renounce all my earlier suggestions, except perhaps for Skeletor Williams, in favour of a daydream fantasy I just had.

In the interests of gender equality the Chairman should in fact be a woman.

Let me unveil my suggestion for Chairwoman Ricki-Lee Coulter. With a throbbing electro-disco beat in the background, the Gold Coast Queen saunters seductively onto the kitchen stadium set whilst her sultry voiceover narrates her personal quest for culinary perfection in the cuisine wilderness that is SE Qld. (Oh, except perhaps for that doyen of Gold Coast haute cuisine, Swinging Suzee Dearlord, or whatever her name is.) Anyway, cue to the important ‘eating’ scene. Ricki Lee’s fingers stroke, then slowly envelope a banana of perfect complexion and shape, which is peeled and… well… you know.

No matter what shit happens after this scene, Aussie Iron Chef is certain to become a worldwide cult success, with a guaranteed huge following on Italian tv.

C’mon Seven , I’m available to moonlight on this and thousands of other innovative programming ideas I am constantly dreaming up at work. Wotcha say, Mr Leckie??

17 Culinary Boner { 07.23.10 at 2:31 pm }
18 Anonymous { 10.16.10 at 12:57 am }

i am a chef that would love to compete on the show…. anyone know how i can apply???