Neil Perry Not At The Masterchef Australia Finale!

An eagle eyed Masterchef Australia TV viewer, pointed out to me that uber chef Neil Perry was not in the melange of chefs that were at the announcement of the winner of the show.  I admit I was too distracted looking for Adriano Zumbo and Adam Molenas to notice.

But very interesting that he was a no-show a week after the article in the Sunday Telegraph where he basically said Masterchef was just a game show and the contestants would struggle to make it in a professional kitchen.  See previous blog post here on this issue. Neil at the time said he was taken out of context.

I would be interested to know considering he does live in Sydney, and getting seen by nearly 4 million viewers is good for business. Why was he was not there. By choice or not invited?

I am sure Neil Perry would still like to feel the Masterchef love as would most chefs as it is a boon for business, just ask Adriano Zumbo where you have to queue to get inside his shop to get a macaron.

UPDATE: Neil Perry tweeted me (his handle is @rockpoolgroup if you want to follow him) and he said : I was invited, but don’t get to spend time with the family because of work, so Sunday a no go. Doing J MasterChef though.

Thanks Neil for clarifying and do you have Adam Molenas’s number?

1 Paul { 07.26.10 at 11:50 am }

There were more chefs missing than were there I thought.

Looked like there were only about a dozen who made an appearance. They seemed to use a skinny camera shot and crowded the old contestants in to make it look like a lot of people.

Chefs are busy people. If you basically have to give up your entire day just so you can fill a bit of background in a crowd shot, then I would give it a miss as well.

Don’t think there is anything in it.

2 brain dead dave { 07.26.10 at 11:54 am }

He could have been hiding in Julie Goodwins’ crows feet. Who invited that razorback?

3 rusty { 07.26.10 at 12:50 pm }

why would you bother, if business was good? It’s not like the chefs had some role to play, other than provide backdrop.

I didn’t see Fiona in the peanut gallery at the Finale, either, just at the announcement. Maybe she’s also found a life.

4 Chunks { 07.26.10 at 12:51 pm }

I wonder how much they get paid to appear and get a nano-second of screen time if they’re lucky. Apart from Donna Hay of course, the least inspiring of the lot (apart from Julie) who got heaps of time. Razorback? lol

5 wallah { 07.26.10 at 1:09 pm }

Poor Julie…..my girlfriend noted that someone actually did her wardrobe and makeup. She also noted the absence of the Divine Ponytail, but at the end of the day neither was Peter Gilmore? I think that Paul’s on the money, if I had three or four restaurants (or just one that happened to be the highest ranked in the country) giving up 5 or 6 hours of your time to make up the numbers can be a bit of a hassle.

6 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 1:11 pm }

Check out rockpool twitter tweets-a couple of interesting refs to MC:RT @ElegSufficiency: RT @CatherineDeveny: Oh my GOD! I just saw the photo. It seems one of those boat people just won #masterchef.

7 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 1:13 pm }

YAY YAY Marion is on Good News Week this week(why don’t they have Calire I wonder). I lurve Marion: I want some happy drugs so I smile like her all the time.

8 Culinary Boner { 07.26.10 at 1:21 pm }

Perhaps he was having his ponytail braided that night?

9 brain dead dave { 07.26.10 at 3:22 pm }

Julie Goodwin had a wardrobe and makeup artist? She came out looking like a T.Rex.

10 Culinary Boner { 07.26.10 at 3:35 pm }

B/dead dave,
Good observation on Julie, although she reminds me more of Sesame Street’s Snuffleupagus. A T-Rex would simply have too much presence.

11 Culinary Boner { 07.26.10 at 3:46 pm }
12 CG { 07.26.10 at 6:19 pm }

Neil Petty’s Rockpool is bleeding a slow death. Has been losing money for several years. An appearance on the MC finale wouldn’t have hurt him and given his personality, I think he would have wanted to appear to demonstrate “no hard feelings” after his “misquotes” from last week. I reckon the MC producers vetoed his appearance.

Also notably absent was Curtis Stone. I bet he is getting paid a heck of a lot for his Coles role and surprised he wasn’t there to fly the flag.

As for Julie, there have been a lot of mean comments about her weight. I think she really looked bad – as in ill – and hope she is not sick. I read that in a few months after she won MC1 both her grandmother and mother-in-law died quite suddenly. I also read she is launching her own fashion label – under the “Anonoymous” brand?? – I haven’t heard of the brand – apparently it is for plus-sized women. The brand sent her a wardrobe to wear mid-way thru MC1and now she has a deal with them, in addition to her new Ch9 show.

13 Anonymous { 07.26.10 at 7:50 pm }

saw you on today tonight :)

14 littlepetal { 07.26.10 at 9:16 pm }

Yeah, looking good on TT!!

15 Colls Bolls { 07.27.10 at 11:08 am }

My family and I didn’t see Margaret Fulton either. My girls were asking where the cute little nana lady was. (she reminds me so muchof my 80 year old mum)

16 Soni { 07.27.10 at 11:10 am }

Lay off poor Julie. It must be hard to be able to cook great food and not put on weight. I myself have put on 5 kilos just watching Masterchef and I cant cook!!!!

17 Anonymous { 07.27.10 at 1:01 pm }

For those who did not read the update
@realityraver I was invited, but don’t get to spend time with the family because of work, so Sunday a no go. Doing J MasterChef though.

18 Oshada { 07.28.10 at 3:06 pm }

Jeez, for all your love of Adam ‘Melonas’ why didn’t you even bother to spell his name right :(

19 Svetlana { 11.21.13 at 12:59 pm }

I needed to cratee you that very little word to finally say thanks yet again for your stunning tactics you have documented on this page. This has been so remarkably generous of you to supply openly precisely what some people might have supplied for an e-book in making some profit for themselves, certainly seeing that you might well have tried it if you desired. These thoughts additionally worked to become easy way to recognize that many people have a similar dreams the same as my personal own to grasp very much more pertaining to this problem. I know there are some more pleasurable instances up front for individuals that start reading your site.