Alex Perry And Charlotte Dawson In A Facebook Scuffle

Australia’s Next Top Model judges Alex Perry and Charlotte Dawson have again created controversy by using the social media to have a stoush.

This time is with a student Lucy Blunt who set a facebook page called Alex Perry is a C**T. However the groups name was changed to Alex Perry is a T**t.

What I don’t get is why Alex and Charlotte bothered to respond to this girl’s offensive group. There are some things I really like about Charlotte Dawson, as she is open and direct, but seriously why bother engaging on this level. Also I am not sure why living in the Western Suburbs is such a negative thing.

The Nine MSN article said:

Sydney student Lucy Blunt set up the anti-Perry group in September last year, shortly after he appeared on Celebrity MasterChef.

The war of words began when Ms Blunt wrote last year: “Masterchef were after celebrity cooks, Alex Perry signed up, he thought they were after c-cks!”

Perry discovered the group and joined, referring to its members as “f—ing losers”. He told ninemsn he did not know Ms Blunt before the random attack, which he said left him deeply offended.

“I have a right to my opinion and others have the right to theirs but there’s a certain level of decency you have to uphold,” he said.

Dawson was among those who leapt to Perry’s defence, calling Ms Blunt a “sad attention whore who is loving winding everyone up”.

“Some suburban fattie [sic] with too much time on her hands and a dirty crack pipe has had her jollies creating this page,” Dawson wrote.

“Some fame whore … suburban moll wanting to brag to her mates about calling you a twat.”

Dawson, who also called Ms Blunt a “westie scrag”, said she had no regrets about defending her friend to online “trolls”.

The debate about this and other issues related to Australia’s Next Top Model has moved to a very interesting blog post by Melinda Tankard Reist. She discusses this Facebook incident as well as questioning how Sarah Murdoch can host a show like Australia’s Next Top Model, and be Chairperson of a Body Image Committee. It is something that has crossed my mind as well.

Anyway Charlotte Dawson responds in full to the issues in the comment section of the blog post. Not sure I agree with everything she is saying, but hey it is nice to see a personality/celebrity give a full and frank opinion without a publicist nearby.

1 Shelsta78 { 07.30.10 at 12:40 am }

Charlotte: …”Some fame whore …”

Pot – Kettle – Black
That is All

2 smauge { 07.30.10 at 8:54 am }

Why did she think he was a cock? I saw him on Celebrity Masterchef and I thought he was funny and entertaining. Have I missed something?

3 Wurstsemmel { 07.30.10 at 12:25 pm }

Whatever this person’s agenda, engaging them only encourages it. Still, speaks volumes and undermines any point that CD wishes to make that the counterattack labels the person as a ‘fattie’. a ‘scrag’ and a ‘Westie’.

4 Culinary Boner { 07.30.10 at 2:45 pm }

Tsk tsk…Don’t they know how vulgar it is to call someone a C##t without using an appropriate adjective?… In this case they could have tried ‘bald’ or ‘smug’.
When will this generation learn that no matter much you master Facebook, Twitter etc… you are still only as good as the language you can string together. Charlotte at least knows ‘fat’ goes with ‘whore’. Just as ‘westie’ with ‘scrag’. However, she still only gets a 6 outta 10, for going with obvious cliches. They need to engage Bwian McFadgen to advise on the proper way to hurl e-space insults.

5 Muru { 07.30.10 at 9:18 pm }

I’m growing absolutely sick and tired of Dawson’s classism, which is the main reason I no longer watch AuNTM. I live in Melbourne’s outer west – even though I don’t really enjoy living in this area, I have no choice. Why can’t Dawson understand that not everybody has the opportunity to move up the social ladder? Discriminating somebody based on class is extremely poor form, especially for a celebrity.

Classism is the elephant in the room that everybody pretends doesn’t exist, but Dawson sure is doing a killer job at exacerbating these tensions. These nasty, classist pigs really need to learn to shut the hell up. Who do they think they are?

6 Reality Raver { 08.02.10 at 12:02 pm }

Apparently Charlotte Dawson has lost an $18,000 endorsement deal from this Facebook stoush, well according to Ros Reines column in the Sunday Tele.

Muru – I think your comments on classism is spot on.

Culinary Boner – the Brian McFadden comment is a classic.

7 Amanda Dobson { 08.02.10 at 12:40 pm }

Although I don’t agree with Charlotte on the damage that the media is having on girls self esteem, I have to say, as one of the people who has been engaging with her on the blog in question…….I really respect her standing up for herself (although yes, she is a firecracker and has a bit of a rant on occassion and slams off the insults before putting her brain into gear, but then, who hasnt?).

Not saying I am her biggest fan, far from it, she irritates the hell out of me with her school maam like over hardness and she is a bull headed girl, but I kind of do have a little respect for her standing up for herself and her fighting spirit.

8 Charlotte Dawson and Alex Perry Sue Nine MSN And Facebook | reality ravings { 08.07.10 at 3:35 pm }

[…] The Daily Telegraph are saying Australia’s Next Top Model judges Charlotte Dawson and Alex Perry are suing Nine MSN and Facebook over allegations she bullied a university student during a vicious online exchange. (Previous blog post on the issue here). […]

9 Essi { 08.31.12 at 9:25 pm }

Wow her comments seam to be somewhat of a bullying nature… Which is intresting in light if the last few days..

10 Essi { 09.01.12 at 4:18 pm }

I just read some more of ms dawson’s comments over the last week… And this woman is actually a classic text book bully herself… I know this is an old forum but I think she needs to take a good hard look at the way she has spoken to others in a public online forum in the past… And then perhaps be less accusatory towards others… It’s almost as if she doesn’t actually understand the meaning of word bully… and having such a high level of celebrity I think she should try and be a more positive role model for young people using the internet..