Matt Newton Is No Longer Host Of The X Factor

Matt Newton has gone back into rehabilitation and will no longer be host of The X Factor according to Adelaide Now because of an alleged altercation with his girlfriend Rachael Taylor. This story goes in the “Why am I not surprised” category, as Fremantle and Channel 7 were always taking a risk when they gave Matt Newton the host role just after he had finished his first stint in rehab.

The story states:

MATT Newton has been forced to withdraw as the host of Channel 7’s The X Factor on “medical advice” and readmitted to a private rehabilitation clinic in Melbourne.

The 33-year-old was “escorted” home from Dublin by a network producer, amid claims of altercation with his actress girlfriend Rachael Taylor in the lobby of a luxury hotel in Rome.

Newton had been on a private holiday with the Transformers star last Sunday, before he was expected to film segments with X Factor mentor Ronan Keating in the Irish singer’s home town.

A Fremantle Media source said “on arrival in Dublin it was decided that Matthew needed to return to Australia to the care of his family.”

Her Sydney manager David Sheriden of Marquee agency said his client had returned to Los Angeles, but, like Seven, declined to comment on allegations of a violent altercation between the pair.

“I can’t advise you on that. There may be a comment next week,” Sheridan said.

A Seven spokeswoman said: “Matthew had a strong commitment to the program and has tried his utmost to make it work. He has the support of his family and friends as he works his way back to full health.”

The hosting role on Seven’s marquee talent search show was regarded as Newton’s second chance to overcome his personal demons, including a battle with drug and alcohol-related issues.

Channel 7 are yet to announce who the new host will be or what they will do with the pre-recorded footage they have.

This is not what they need prior to the launch of the show on Monday 30 August. I also suspect this set back for Matt Newton may end his TV career.

1 Heléna { 08.22.10 at 9:30 pm }

bugger :(

I’m hoping the story is wrong!
I think he is a brilliant actor, and a great talent
I was hoping that he would be able to keep his act together :(

2 Reality Raver { 08.22.10 at 9:55 pm }

Helena I hope they keep the footage in as I would like to see what his style is like.

3 Injera { 08.22.10 at 10:05 pm }

So… if the Amazing Race gig doesn’t work out for Cousins, he can have a shot at this?!

4 Gillian { 08.22.10 at 11:08 pm }

I know Australia is a small country but having people like Matt Newton, Kyle Sandilands and Brian McFadden host talent shows is embarassing. Talk about the blind leading the blind. And Brian McFadden isn’t even one of us. Surely there are more worthy people out there who are actually talented?

5 Jay { 08.23.10 at 1:30 am }

He was the last person I would’ve picked for host. Good riddance.

6 Emma { 08.23.10 at 8:26 am }

Oh god sorry, but I cannot stand this guy. TBH, the last time he was involved in an ‘altercation with his girlfriend’ he should have been given a much more serious punishment and wasn’t, so … here we are, reading about his antics again.

I’m all for supporting Aussie cinema and TV, but can’t bring myself to watch anything with him in it.

Good riddance …. (and get some help MN, seriously).

7 skye { 08.23.10 at 12:12 pm }

I’d like to know what these girls see in him – he keeps getting into these relationships with attractive young women and it always ends very badly for them. I’m assuming he and Taylor have a pretty volatile relationship generally, if those trashed hotel rooms are anything to go by.

Do not want.

8 Emma { 08.23.10 at 12:29 pm }

skye – yeah … have thought the same thing.

9 Culinary Boner { 08.23.10 at 3:05 pm }

skye/emma – clearly some women just lurve being thrashed by trash, and flogged by a dog

10 skye { 08.23.10 at 4:55 pm }

Yuk. Channel 7 must be at least relieved they managed to get their press release out before Rachel Taylor made her AVO public. This story is really awful, Brooke Satchwell must be feeling very vindicated today (in an awful kind of way), after the conviction for assaulting her was overturned and a lot of people (not me) gave him the benefit of the doubt.

11 Matt Newton’s Girlfriend Rachael Taylor Takes Out An AVO On Him | reality ravings { 08.23.10 at 4:57 pm }

[…] I reported last night (see previous blog post here) Matt Newton has been dumped from The X Factor as host and is now back in rehab. The rumours of a […]

12 Anonymous { 08.30.10 at 9:28 pm }

Rehab my ass. He is an abuser. Plain & simple. The sooner people stop making excuses for this type of behaviour – the better, it’s an Added insult to all women who have been abused by men like this. People like this are master manipulators