Matt Newton Is No Longer Host Of The X Factor
Matt Newton has gone back into rehabilitation and will no longer be host of The X Factor according to Adelaide Now because of an alleged altercation with his girlfriend Rachael Taylor. This story goes in the “Why am I not surprised” category, as Fremantle and Channel 7 were always taking a risk when they gave Matt Newton the host role just after he had finished his first stint in rehab.
The story states:
MATT Newton has been forced to withdraw as the host of Channel 7’s The X Factor on “medical advice” and readmitted to a private rehabilitation clinic in Melbourne.
The 33-year-old was “escorted” home from Dublin by a network producer, amid claims of altercation with his actress girlfriend Rachael Taylor in the lobby of a luxury hotel in Rome.
Newton had been on a private holiday with the Transformers star last Sunday, before he was expected to film segments with X Factor mentor Ronan Keating in the Irish singer’s home town.
A Fremantle Media source said “on arrival in Dublin it was decided that Matthew needed to return to Australia to the care of his family.”
Her Sydney manager David Sheriden of Marquee agency said his client had returned to Los Angeles, but, like Seven, declined to comment on allegations of a violent altercation between the pair.
“I can’t advise you on that. There may be a comment next week,” Sheridan said.
A Seven spokeswoman said: “Matthew had a strong commitment to the program and has tried his utmost to make it work. He has the support of his family and friends as he works his way back to full health.”
The hosting role on Seven’s marquee talent search show was regarded as Newton’s second chance to overcome his personal demons, including a battle with drug and alcohol-related issues.
Channel 7 are yet to announce who the new host will be or what they will do with the pre-recorded footage they have.
This is not what they need prior to the launch of the show on Monday 30 August. I also suspect this set back for Matt Newton may end his TV career.