Matt Newton’s Girlfriend Rachael Taylor Takes Out An AVO On Him
As I reported last night (see previous blog post here) Matt Newton has been dumped from The X Factor as host and is now back in rehab. The rumours of a violent altercation with his former girlfriend Rachael Taylor would appear to be true as she has now taken out an AVO against him.
I would say Matt Newton’s acting career is officially over now. Also no news on whether The X Factor will try and wipe him out of the show completely like they did the contestant on child pornography charges on The Biggest Loser or who the new host is.
The Daily Telegraph reports:
ACTRESS Rachael Taylor has taken out an AVO against her boyfriend, the TV personality Matthew Newton, after “unprovoked violent assaults”.
“After much consideration and struggle I have made this personal decision to send a clear public message that violence, threats, abuse and intimidation are not acceptable and should be dealt with by the full capacity of the law,” Taylor said in a statement released by her manager.
The action follows a series of “gravely serious incidents” including two unprovoked violent assaults on August 13 and 14 while the couple were in Rome, the statement says.
“Ms Taylor says that she has taken this step to address significant fears for her personal safety, well being and security following events – both in Australia and while on a recent holiday in Rome, Italy,” it reads.
“I thank my family and friends for their ongoing support through what is an extremely disturbing, distressing and difficult time,” she said.
It’s not the first allegation of domestic violence Newton has faced.
In 2007, he pleaded guilty to a “one off” assault on actress girlfriend Brooke Satchwell during a break-up argument.
Newton admitted to punching Satchwell and pushing her into a wall at his Sydney home while she begged him to stop.
He was given a 12-month good behaviour bond for the assault, but the conviction was later quashed after the judge heard of his history of mental health problems.
Earlier today it was announced that Newton had been forced to quit as the host of the Seven Network show “The X Factor”, one week before the new series is due to air.
“Matthew had a strong commitment to the program – he has tried his utmost to make it work,” the statement read.
“He has the support of his family and close circle of friends as he works his way back to full health.”
In April, Newton – son of showbiz couple Bert and Patti Newton – spent 28 days in Melbourne’s Malvern Private Hospital, which specialises in drug and alcohol issues.