The X Factor Ratings – A Good Start

The X Factor had a solid start in the ratings last night getting 1,186,000 for their first episode, but the real winner out of all this was the Bert and Patti interview about their son Matt Newton on A Current Affair.

The interview must have been hard to do, however they did reveal that Matt Newton has been having mental health issues since he was 14 years old.

Amanda Meade writes a good article in The Australian about it.

She says Patti revealed that Matt has had problems for awhile and is currently on suicide watch:

Last night his show business parents, Bert and Patti Newton, spoke about their son’s battle with anger and depression.

Bert sat largely silent beside Patti with tears in his eyes as she told how they had watched from the sidelines as their talented but troubled son had lurched from one catastrophe to another.

“He didn’t want us to be very much involved – there’s been a bit of that through his life – he loves us but he’s always wanted to do his own thing,” Patti said.

The Newtons believe their son has a mental illness rather than a problem with drug and alcohol misuse.

“He’s never really accepted the fact that he had an illness,” Patti said, describing how at 14 he had been told by a psychologist to “make sure you never do drugs or alcohol because you have the sort of personality where it will take over your life”.

“All that Bert and I can do is be very sorry for everything that he’s done to cause any hassle with anybody and also to try and get him the best help that he can have, so that maybe there’s something, a life, that he can still have.”

I think anyone who is a parent or knows what it is like to deal with mental illness must feel for Burt and Patti.

1 Paul { 08.31.10 at 2:40 pm }

1.1m is pretty poor I would have thought – especially when they have invested so much money into it and with little to no competition against it in its timeslot.

It won’t fare very well against Junior MC in 2 weeks.

Watched the ACA interview. Thought they tippie-toed around the real issue – Matthew’s use of drugs.

The networks never want to broach this subject too hard when one of their own is involved. Funny about that.

Yet if someone is involved in drugs and isn’t connected to a network then it’s all gloves are off.

2 heartbreaker { 08.31.10 at 2:47 pm }

I know exactly how Bert&Patti are feeling,having be through similar circumstances with my son.Your in for one hell of a ride,just hang on and don’t give up on Matt.xx

3 Kelly { 08.31.10 at 7:41 pm }

This is terrible… I truly feel sorry for the Newton Family.. I think its far more brave to come out and say that My child has Mental health Issues that we still can not handle- then to simply say yeah my kid has a drug problem- we will give him a stint in Rehab and all will be sweet..

As for the X-factor… for some reason I have absolutely NO interest in the show..

4 wallah { 08.31.10 at 11:06 pm }

First up…..the first version of the X-Factor was the bomb. It was so bad that after my ex-wife made me sit through the first two weeks I made her sit through the rest. The introduction of “Jakey B The Rock Kid” was a piece of Australian music history, as was The Brotherhood, the old lady singing, and of course Random. But I digress.
Thinking of all of those “do what I feel like because my dad is such and such” guys that I went to school with, Patti Newton seemed to me like an Eastern Suburbs Maaaaarm who’s now dealing with years of putting off her children’s bad behaviour now that it’s beyond the point of the neighbours and other parents whisperings. More concern that Bert’s career and reputation would be affected, and still treating her son like he’s “just got a bad temper.” Much like an acquaintance of my mother, whose offspring decided to belt his girlfriend around at a watering hole some time back. The victims response was to shove it under the carpet as he came from such an established (read wealthy) family, and yet the mother seemed to be seeking sympathy more for herself that her son was like that, than blame him for what he’d done (and it wasn’t the first time.) As for not taking meds because it would affect his creativity, the blame is firmly in Mr. M. Newton’s court…..my brother decided that Halperidol wasn’t for him, my father agreed to let him go off of it, and presto. One divorce and a now near homeless 26 year old that’s estranged from his family except when he needs money. These are prescribed for a reason…..if it affects what you do, seek further advice. Don’t let your own selfishness affect everyone else in your life. Your responsibility is diminished only to a point.
Sorry to rant. See how badly Mark Holden and Kate Cebrano upset me all those years ago?

5 reality raver { 09.01.10 at 12:14 am }

Paul – I think it is a solid start, once it settles into its 2 shows a week routine it will rate well I think. I know people are getting excited over Junior Masterchef, and it will rate well but only around the 1 million mark once the novelty wears off.

Heartbreaker – Interesting how the story is touching a cord with a lot of people.

Kelly – It must be difficult for them, I wonder if they counselled him against taking The X Factor job.

Wallah – I hope the reason your wife and you divorced wasn’t the first series of The X Factor, and I hope you brother gets back on his feet. I think people going of their meds is quite common as sometimes they don’t like the side effects or they feel ‘normal’ and then of course it all goes pear shaped again once they go off them.

6 scruffnkelsmum { 09.01.10 at 12:49 am }

call me a cynic, but I find it a tad convenient that Matt is now “bipolar” and suffering a “mental illness”- when it seems like he is in real deep sh!t this time. Until I see some sort of evidence that he was in fact diagnosed many years ago, yeah sounds like Mummy & Daddy trying to cover up for their boy…again. and save Bert’s “career” (OMG I may just vomit from typing that)

I am happy to admit it, if my cynicism is wrong….but yeah, where’s the medical evidence that he has had an “illness” for years?????

7 Paul { 09.01.10 at 10:08 am }

RR,
I’d be amazed if Junior MC didn’t rate anything less than consistent 1.5m’s.

8 brain dead dave { 09.01.10 at 12:53 pm }

I thought Patti and Bert made much better viewing than the appalling interview with Paul Hogan on ACA last night.

I’ve never seen Tracy Grimshaw try harder to crawl up someone’s ar$e or a more conceited ,smarmy interviewee.