Grant Denyer To Host Iron Chef – I Am A Bit Shocked

Ok I have to admit I was a little disappointed when it was announced that Grant Denyer would be hosting Iron Chef Australia. I was truly hoping for someone flamboyant and theatrical like the original Chairman Kaga.

I am presuming Grant will play it pretty straight.

The disappointing part of it is that he is not particularly into food.

He said:

“This is an exciting new challenge for me,” Denyer said. “I’m not a foodie. I’m as green as a capsicum when it comes to food. Living on the road with Sunrise, my cuisine consists of two-minute noodles and chiko rolls. I’m going to enjoy being inspired by great food and talented chefs. It’s a huge honour to be involved.”

In fact when I heard rumours that Leo Schofield may take on the role I thought that was an interesting choice.

However it is not to be, but Leo will be on the judging panel so that should be fun, as I reckon he will have a wicked sense of humour.

Also he will be joined by will be joined by fellow food critics Larissa Dubecki, from The Age, and Simon Thomsen, from the Daily Telegraph and the Herald Sun.

I love the way they have ensured someone from Fairfax and a judge from News Limited.

However I am disappointed there will be no former politicians or movie starlets on the judging panel as well, which was something that made the Japanese version of the show so hilarious.

Richard Cornish, award winning food writer, and regular food contributor for The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald will join Grant in the commentary box which discusses what the chefs are cooking during the show.

The Iron Chef’s are Neil Perry, Guy Grossi and Guillaume Brahimi.

No news on a premiere date, but filming has begun.

1 PinkPatentMaryJanes { 09.10.10 at 3:55 pm }

Oh gak, really!? When I first heard of an Aus version I was concerned, then heartened when I heard of the Iron Chef s{ponytail excluded}. But now, really, Grant Denyer? Really? Good lord, is Australia’s “talent” pool really that small?

2 suziwong66 { 09.10.10 at 4:02 pm }

“Good lord, is Australia’s “talent” pool really that small?”

well stated PinPatentMaryJanes! my thoughts exactly!

3 MolksTVTalk { 09.10.10 at 4:06 pm }

The Iron Chef line-up is great. The judging panel looks awesome. The expert commentator addition is a good one too.

I also agree that a vaccuous celeb at the judging table would be superb.

This show is Denyer’s to lose. His interview you quote doesn’t instill great hope, but Simon Thomsen said on Twitter today that Grant was killing it as host. That’s a big wrap. Looking forward to it to see what happens…

Hopefully the end result is that Grant Denyer becomes much more of a foodie. (Also quietly wondering how his trips around Oz for Sunrise will impact filming – but it’s his life to spend in a tin can, not mine. Yet.)

4 Reality Raver { 09.10.10 at 4:09 pm }

MolksTVTalk – Did you really think Simon would not say something positive about him? They are on the same show.

I will obviously reserve judgement until seen. But as I said I am disappointed.

5 Culinary Boner { 09.10.10 at 4:31 pm }

“my cuisine consists of two-minute noodles and chiko rolls”

FFS. There we have it. Mystery solved.
Someone this side of 1977 actually does eat chicko rolls.
I presume he munches on the iconic phallus of fat, gristle and compost whilst knocking back cans of KB, seductively stroking his Solo Man moustache whist mentally whacking off to The Mirror’s latest page 3 girl.
Am sooo looking forward to Seven’s Iron Chef trainwreck.

6 Culinary Boner { 09.10.10 at 4:54 pm }

Oh. And why are the Iron Chefs dressed as Dr Evil’s henchmen? Or are they extra’s from some half-arsed spoof of Star Trek?

7 Reality Raver { 09.10.10 at 5:04 pm }

Well at least it may mean grant Denyer is not going to host The Amazing Race.

8 Wurstsemmel { 09.10.10 at 6:14 pm }

Yeuch. All there is to say really.

9 skye { 09.10.10 at 7:30 pm }

Oh dear.

10 Pollywaffle { 09.10.10 at 7:35 pm }

Did anyone notice he didnt share the stage level of the 3 chefs – clearly his stilt boots not yet built or maybe he’s borrowing from the book of J. Durie and its a contract stipulation….

2.9 Grant will not perform in an anthropometrically uneven environment

11 Maxabella { 09.10.10 at 7:44 pm }

Yes, Australia’s talent pool really is that small!

Ugh!

x

12 Paul { 09.10.10 at 10:50 pm }

This will flop.

Don’t know if 7 are deliberatly flooding the market with food shows so as to dilute the interest in Masterchef or they really are incompetant producers of reality television.

I favour the latter personally.

13 angie @ gnomeangel { 09.11.10 at 5:08 pm }

damn! He’s gonna suck. I can’t even stand to watch him do the weather…

Why can’t Australia find some real hosting talent to taken on this role… someone who at least knows better than to eat a Chiko Roll!

14 Suzanne { 09.11.10 at 11:24 pm }

I think the real question is why is Australia doing Iron Chef at all?

The beauty of the Japanese show is the over-the-top commentary, the crazy American over-dubbing inexplicably transposed with sub-titling and the wacky, sometimes unidentifiable dishes that are produced with often obsure (to the Western world) ingredients.

The American version was excuciating to watch and the Australian one will be even more so.

And Grant Denyer?? Words now fail me…

15 skye { 09.12.10 at 11:14 am }

If they don’t put foie gras in everything, even the desserts (especially the desserts) then it’s not Iron Chef to me.

I think Luke Steele from Empire of the Sun would have made an excellent Chairman Kaga substitute.

16 Culinary Boner { 09.14.10 at 3:54 pm }

For a uniquely Australian twist they should’ve appointed Quentin Kenihan to the Chairman Kaga role.