Junior Masterchef – The Top Twenty

Sorry a belated post on the latest Junior Masterchef episode.

Again the 8-12 year olds showed they are better cooks then then Come Dine With Me contestants and thankfully not as lushy.

As discussed last week better they are also better then a few of the top 50 of the adult version of the show.

Just few thoughts on the show:

• The toned down real articulate Matt Preston is much better, then the dramatic Matt Preston we saw in Season 2 of Masterchef;
  • The knife skills of these kids are amazing, did they come in with them or were they given a few lessons prior to filming?
  • There appears to be no Jake type kid in this show, as yet I have not seen a knife injury or a burn, but then this might not be seen as being tasteful;
  • With only 45 minutes to prep and cook I am impressed with some of the dishes, one kid made fresh pasta this week;
  • They must have recipes secreted away somewhere as there is no way these kids could remember the measurement required could they?
  • Also I am presuming for this first challenge they actually are given time to decide what they want to cook, as I doubt truffles or rabbits are typical pantry items on the show.

The show is good viewing once I start to watch it, but not something I need to watch straight away. It rated 1.75 million viewers losing over 400,000 from the previous week, however this is still fantastic ratings and great family entertainment.

1 Anonymous { 09.21.10 at 11:00 pm }

I just caught up with the show – Pierre did look like he had a knife injury – I think as all the contestants were cooking their speciality dish they would remember the ingedients and measurements – even I could manage that for at least one recipe :p

I was surprised the kid who made his own pasta did not make it through – it must not have tasted too great – but kudos for managing to make pasta by himself :)

2 Culinary Boner { 09.21.10 at 11:07 pm }

you mean 400,000??

3 seepi { 09.22.10 at 10:16 am }

I agree it is good viewing, but I don’t mind if I dont’ see it.

i think the show is good, but the scheduling is wrong. 1.5 hours of kids cooking is too much. I would prefer 30 mins a day, at an earlier timeslot.

I wish they’d repeat this one on weekend afternoons like they do with survivor etc . Or even early mornings or something, so my actual kids could watch it.

4 MolksTVTalk { 09.22.10 at 10:19 am }

Jnr MasterChef will be Ch10’s real winner for 2010. Not just in ratings – which it will kill, and I expect beat it’s big brother for best ratings of the year – but also in it’s saleability, with the Jnr MasterChef concept already being picked up for UK & US markets from Shine.

And it’s fun, family tele. Crazy George & Wacky Gary are back – I agree that Matt is more credible in this iteration.

Anna Gare is, however, seriously grinding on my nerves. She doesn’t know where to look. She doesn’t know where to stand. She has no idea what to do with her hands. She *is* very encouraging with the kids – and that’s great – but it’s tough to have the audience accept her when the last thing we all knew she did was flog Cruskits. Cruskits, people… Ew.

A female presence is required, though. The boys struggled a little this year in MasterChef without Sarah Wilson, although she didn’t really offer much last year. I think including a strong female chef like Donna Hay really helped with the sausage fest – so they’ve dumbed it down by including Anna.

Who knows what’ll happen with Masterchef next yeat with Matt Moran signing on & how they balance that with some oestrogen.

In the meantime… Jnr MasterChef rocks. Hopefully the Commonwealth Games get shelved so we don’t have to wait for the remaining eps once we’ve got our Top12.

5 Culinary Boner { 09.22.10 at 11:24 am }

From both a cooking and contestant backbone perspective, this is certainly rocking the socks off the adult version. While no doubt editing is playing a part, we are seeing some fairly precise food preparation and cooking, minus the weeping & a’wailing, industrial accidents, sweating, fretting and melt-downs of the adult version.

6 seepi { 09.22.10 at 12:12 pm }

It is so refreshing to see the cooking, then the judging of the meals, rather than endless soundbites of contestants saying ‘It’s all on the line here’ and other meaningless statements, and then not even seeing the dish they cooked.

Bringing back the food is a mega impreovement.

7 seepi { 09.22.10 at 12:13 pm }

I hope they bring this newfound focus on the food and showing each dish, and a bit of the contestants atually cooking, to the next adult masterchef too.

8 Reality Raver { 09.22.10 at 12:49 pm }

Seepi and Culinary Boner – agree it is great to see each kids dish. Some are very impressive. What I find amazing is they are all plating up on time.
Can you kids watch Junior Masterchef online or tape it. My 6 yr old watches in the morning.

anonymous – I thought the pasta sauce looked a bit unappetising it could have done with a vege in it. It was a strong heat.

MolksTVTalk – sound analysis as always. Though I am sure Channel 7 are praying Jnr Masterchef will be taken off so The X Factor live shows can get some traction.

9 AnonyMousse { 09.22.10 at 5:22 pm }

The kids are definitely getting injured despite using those funky coloured ‘safety knives’, they’re just not showing it – have seen multiple kids with the blue bandages on fingers, and from the first epsiode there was even one wearing a full glove (the girl with the veil, from memory). I guess they figured what was ‘lol, look at Jake cut himself again’ on the adult show would become ‘oh my god, boycott the show: some child’s been cut!’ on the kids show.

10 Culinary Boner { 09.22.10 at 5:28 pm }

AnonyMouse, that makes sense. Although none of the faces I have seen indicate major hurt or injury, unlike Jake who always managed to look as if he’d just cut his balls off.

11 MolksTVTalk { 09.22.10 at 9:51 pm }

RR – you and I know that Ch10 will never give Ch7 an inch. In fact, if they move X Factor, it wouldn’t surprise me if Ch10 move #JnrMasterChef to match it just to spite them.