The Block 2010 – It Made Product Placement On Masterchef Look Restrained

The Block mark two is back. If you were playing a drinking game and had to skull everytime you saw a product placement you would have been paralytic by the second ad break.

Not that I really have a problem with product placement if it means the production values are high, but it did make the placement in Masterchef look restrained.

The apartments in Vaucluse look like they are going to be fantastic when renovated. They are three bedroom, two bathroom, with large living areas. Each week one room has to be completed before they are auctioned off.

Prior to the contestants moving in they put in some new balcony doors and some other windows. Also I wonder if the producers added to the mess and chaos by pouring cement in baths and toilets just to make it worse then the building actually was.

Tonight’s episode was just about getting to know the couples and find out what the rules of the games were.

There are three couples and one pair of mates. Chez and Brenton are a real estate agent and he works in construction. I think she is more into the design side of things. Which could be an advantage as the two tradie mates Mark and Duncan are now thinking they are in for a tougher time because of this.

Erin and Jake have the least experience so I think they will struggle, and I am liking Neisha and John a lot already. I see Neisha being the one to be driving the reno but she seems pretty practical not sure about how creative they are.

They have $30,000 to pay for the renovation and $15,000 from Freedom furniture to decorate. Which Freedom store were they shopping at? The closest is the Moore Park Supa centre but for some reason it did not look like that.

Also the contestant’s have to proceed with their ‘normal’ lives ie go to work etc. But what I don’t get is if you are from Melbourne how do you go to work?

Unfortunately no finished rooms to discuss this week but I think the episode did enough to ensure I will watch next week.

1 Culinary Boner { 09.23.10 at 9:34 am }

Is Scott Cam the most annoying tele personality stereotype ever?

2 Wurstsemmel { 09.23.10 at 11:19 am }

I am already taking a dislike to Chez. Lot of talk, very little action. Will be interesting to see if all her talk of her design ideas flooding her head actually appear to have any kind of validity.

No, CB, it could be worse (perhaps Matthew Newton Off his Block?) but I’d much rather they’d got Jamie D back.

3 Culinary Boner { 09.23.10 at 12:08 pm }

Good point Wurstsemmel. Perhaps Matt Newton and Steve Bisley could enter as a team next year.

4 MolksTVTalk { 09.23.10 at 12:09 pm }

Mark & Duncan are playing this like reality TV pros.

5 Reality Raver { 09.23.10 at 2:51 pm }

Culinary Boner – I don’t find him annoying I just never notice when he is there.

Wurst – LOL well Matt Newton would draw in the ratings like that but for all the wrong reasons.

Molk – I reckon Chez is going to be a cracker

6 Jaime { 09.23.10 at 6:48 pm }

I’m excited about The Block coming back !!! Loving it already!! Yes Chez … Way Annoying. Also do not understand the normal work day thing as not everyone from Sydney and different work circumstances. Bit weird? Can anyone explain?

7 Bindii { 09.24.10 at 9:55 am }

Eagerly anticipated the first episode and was not surprised by the amount of product placement, but was so disappointed at the number of commercial breaks / upcoming show ads ( which I believe numbered 13 in the last commercial break alone). It was almost as bad as watching daytime info-mercial TV. If the percentage of show time to break time does not improve, I think I will gleefully turn over to Ten.

8 MelbaToast { 09.24.10 at 11:44 am }

They were shopping at the Home Center in Artarmon…no wonder Chez was away for nearly an entire day!!!! WHY would they have the contestatns traveling all the way to Artarmon from Vaucluse …esp when they have such a short time to renovate each room. Talk about cruel!

9 Amy { 09.24.10 at 5:31 pm }

I think Chez was hilarious, she is probably the most out there personality so I think it will make for good watching!

10 Jules { 09.26.10 at 10:46 pm }

Enjoyed the show and am looking forward to seeing everyone’s progress over the weeks, but Chez was bloody annoying. The narcissism’s bad enough, but that baby-voice takes the cake!

11 Graham { 10.20.10 at 10:13 pm }

Chez is extremely annoying. She tries to be quirky and funny but she’s just irritating. Hearing her say “dibber dobber”…grrr! The other thing about her is that, like the previous couple(s) from Melbourne on The Block, they use a very Melbourne style (dark colours) which seems out of place in Sydney.

12 Jaime { 10.21.10 at 11:34 am }

There is a lot of “wheel spinning” in this show. All talk and no action. Its like the formula is there for an awesome show but it just misses. Im the only one in my house still watching. But im freaky obsessed with anything reality lifestyle.

What was with the beautiful room of the blonde fit couple, but then you turn around and the collingwood stripes on the wall … oh dear! FAIL!

13 Anonymous { 11.03.10 at 11:46 am }