The Boss Is Coming To Dinner – What Was The Point?

The Australian version of The Boss Is Coming To Dinner I just did not understand the concept. So you have to cook your boss dinner, but what you cooked really did not come into it. It was just an interview over your dining room table. They didn’t even rat through the peoples draws ala Come Dine With Me to see if you had anything incriminating hidden away.

Though Peter who was eliminated first tonight after not closing a sale, part of the reason for his elimination may have been his disgusting pasta which was BBQ chicken, mixed with cabonara sauce. Would it have killed him to open up some salad leaves.

But the thing that totally pissed me off was the older woman who had a bucket load of experience, closed a deal but did not get the job because she did not have the “drive” of Tina even though she had no experience and had known the pharmacist who she had to sell to. What the Alphapharm boss really meant was Tina was younger and prettier. So maybe this was as real as reality TV gets where it pretty much does follow real life.

Kudos to Lyn when the women was saying she might have a job for her in a few months when she said “I don’t think I want to work for her.” Not sure about how good a PR message will come from that episode as most women over 40 would have been left with a sour taste in their mouth about the company and therefore their products.

1 Liss { 09.23.10 at 9:44 am }

I thought the real reason for choosing Tina is the MD saw a lot of herself in Tina. Similar socially (i.e. single parent) and also having someone maybe more experience then yourself (as Lyn was with 30 years in the business) she may have felt a bit threatened.

The other consideration is longevity – I know in this day and age hardly anyone stays in a job more than 2-3 years but maybe she sees Tina as more of a long term solution..?

2 Wurstsemmel { 09.23.10 at 11:15 am }

Yes, possibly, Liss but confusingly the recruiter said she was concerned about the longevity of Tina, that she might be likely to do well and then move along. She then went and hired her anyway.

BTW that pasta chicken dish..looked like it need some pharmaeutical intervention of its own.

I’m with you, RR. What was the point? Another hour gone with no refund option. Forecast a very short run. Won’t be checking in myself again.

3 Reality Raver { 09.23.10 at 11:30 am }

Liss – On reflection I think she probably thought she may not be able to mould her as she could Tina. But Lyn has every right to be peeved, and I am sure something like this will happen to all of us down the track.

Wurstsemmel – When the show finished I was thinking thank Christ that is over, but I am continuing to obsess over it so may go back for another serve next week. I do want to see the Camilla Franks episode.

4 Youngatheart { 09.23.10 at 2:07 pm }

This show just proves that employers do not want mature people. They are hypocrites. We all knew who was going to get the job ….. didn’t we!

5 Anonymous { 09.23.10 at 10:19 pm }

I agree they are looking for people who are 80% ready all it takes is drive and you can mould them the way you want them for the business. I felt the younger one had it in the bag from the get go and she didn’t have to much of a test in trying to sell her skills for the sale of products Which was unfair for the other candidates.

6 Anonymous { 09.24.10 at 11:48 am }

I thought that Lyn had a bad attitude, just because you have the experience it doesnt mean that you are the right person for the role. Well done to the young girl…..Who gives anyone a break in a great career anymore???

7 Tam { 09.24.10 at 11:05 pm }

I’m pretty sure it’s because Lyn divulged (over dinner) that she had thrush (badly) whilst pregnant. Even someone selling pharmaceuticals doesn’t need to hear that whilst eating!

8 younger people rule { 09.25.10 at 8:14 pm }

Liss i take it that you are old like Lyn. well the reality is that Lyn had a bad attitude, she thought that she had this sewn up in te bag and if she did have more experience then Natalie, then why isnt she doing the hiring? Lyn has been repping because thats all the can do, and badly. if she was any good then she would have had a senior position much earlier in her career.
it’s simple really, Tina had drive determination and willing to do what ever it takes to get the job, for Lyn it was another representative role……….it is an easy decision.
wake up will you Liss,

9 younger people rule { 09.25.10 at 8:23 pm }

Wurstsemmel and Reality Raver, you obviously have all the experience in the world and have the most rewarding and senior positions imaginable. i think that you along with Liss are jealous and afraid of competing with the younger generation who really have drive passion and determination. Like Lyn, you probably have been in the same job, live in the same place and never ventured away from where you were born. People like you should not watch creative innovative television because it is far too intellectual for you.
SAD OLD PEOPLE!!!!

10 Reality Raver { 09.26.10 at 10:31 am }

Younger People Rule – Firstly your definition of “creative innovative television” and “intellectual” is completely different to me. I did not mind the concept but thought it was difficult to actually really work out who deserved the job.

The reality is older people are discriminated in the job market, as well as women with children. And I am not going to get into the Gen Y versus Gen X/baby boomers debate, as I have worked with both and there have been some good and bad workers in both these age groups.

But Tina basically was not tested in the show, she knew the pharmacist so her selling it was ten times easier. I thought she was a good candidate and any company would be happy to have her, but basically Lyn was told she did not get it because she was “past her use by date”.

I have no problem competing with the younger generation for jobs as I have skills both from work and life that make me a great employee. Hey maybe you and I need to go head to head on The Boss Is Coming To Dinner?
I know who my money would be on.

11 Wurstsemmel { 09.26.10 at 5:14 pm }

YPR, not sure where you got your powers of deduction from but all I can say is ‘go get a refund’. Wide of the mark on every single count but then I’m stretched to see how any one can make such global generalisations from a single posting.

Asa YPR, I’m now deducing (possibly wrongly) that you are ‘on the right side of 30’. I can just tell you that being ‘on the wrong side of 30’ doesn’t make anyone lack drive and determination…but what you do get with it that is a little more life experience. I’m not saying any particular age group is better than another – that would be another sweeping generalisation of the kind of which you seem so fond.

As for the program being creative and innovative…I’d say that it had potential but didn’t deliver. As for intellectual? It’s a reality show…not Mensa…get a grip.

12 BigAlBundy { 09.28.10 at 7:18 pm }

Really Lyn had a bad attitude and she was pathetic at her job.
Who cares if she has worked in the industry for so long, If she was any good she wouldn’t be applying for a new job. The reason she hadn’t progressed in her career is because she is a dud. And an old ugly one at that…..I wonder how her husband can hold and maintain an erection, she looks like the Toad from Wind in the WIllows….

Tina would expand the business the most fullstop, Lyn would drag it into the ground and then go retire or die or something. I wish they brought in compulsory euthanasia for old hagbottoms like her.

13 anonymous { 09.30.10 at 3:31 am }

Firstly Auspharm isnt a pharmacutical company and does not turn over 20 million, what bull Natalie. The company imports a small OTC range who no-one wants to really support and great giving Tina a great oppurtunity but she will soon see what a dragon lady Natalie really is to work for. Oh lets not forget the male on the show was put there last minute who is Natalies ex boyfriend, get real what bullshit.

14 anonymous { 09.30.10 at 3:39 am }

I worked with Natalie a few years back where she was the key account manager, she was a lazy fat cow who took all the credit for growing the company. She was also sleeping around with the boss known as the slut in the company what a joke the show was.

15 AnonyMiss { 09.30.10 at 11:10 pm }

Can anyone tell me who won this weeks (29/9/10 – Limo Driver)?

I recorded it and the last part was cut off again, the same happened last week.

16 Reality Raver { 10.01.10 at 12:41 am }

AnonyMiss – I forgot to tape/watch it. But you could watch Fixplay on NINE it should be uploaded.

17 AnonyMiss { 10.01.10 at 5:19 pm }

As far as I can see they do not show it on Fixplay. I will carry on looking.

Thanks anyway RR!

18 Wurstsemmel { 10.02.10 at 1:32 pm }

The Hungarian man won it…can’t remember what his name was.

19 AnonyMiss { 10.02.10 at 2:11 pm }

Thanks Wurstsemmel.

20 Sandra { 10.06.10 at 9:07 pm }

The hungarian man’s name was Layosh (not quite sure how to spell it). I was glad he won. He was the most deserving and needing of the job.

21 Tommy { 10.07.10 at 3:53 pm }

I know I’ve come in late on this, but now that the show appears to be axed, a couple of comments on the first episode.

Auspharm is a minnow in the industry.

Natalie’s role of National Business Development Manager appears to be pumped up to the point that it’s a limo-passenger dream job. In actual fact it’s quite junior in the grand scheme of things, only one step above an account manager.

Also, the $100K package on offer included super, car, and possibly bonus.

So in the end, we were watching a show about a rep getting a job with a sales manager.

Not a huge deal

22 marty { 10.12.10 at 7:46 pm }

Hey Tommy,
You are spot on.. Someone really needs to let Natalie know she has no idea about the industry. Its very clear Auspharm made a big mistake letting her on that show.

Did you read the above comments about her??

23 - { 10.19.10 at 4:37 pm }

Natalie from what I saw had alot of experience and knew what she was talking about. Anonymous I do not understand why you would bully someone down like this, it is just childish behaviour. Overall we just all have to understand that this was just a reality show not a segment about Natalie. We all clearly do not know much about her and cannot judge her from this show.

24 James Andrews { 03.16.11 at 7:47 pm }

Well to get you all up to date. Tina has left the company,So all you who siad she would were right. Lyn is now National Sales Manager, and Perter the ex boyfriend is ?? well who knows where he is. and The boss well she got her comeupence too