Australia’s Next Top Model – Sarah Murdoch Was Not Told Who The Winner Was

Ok we finally have the answer thanks to TV Tonight, who watched A Current Affair who interviewed Sarah Murdoch, and she said no name had been fed through to her earpiece.

TV Tonight writes:

Sarah Murdoch says she was given no name in her earpiece to announce the winner of Australia’s Next Top Model.

When it came to the Live TV moment for her to be told the winner from a Producer, no name was supplied. She consequently ran with the last advice she had been given.

“The last thing that was communicated to me in my earpiece was Kelsey 1, Amanda 2,” she told A Current Affair.

“We had this great idea that we wouldn’t use a card, that it would all be communicated to me through an earpiece, so that I too in that moment would find out who the winner was.

“I went into the read, ‘The Winner of Australia’s Next Top Model is…. ‘ nothing….,” she said, indicating her earpiece.

“All I knew was the last thing: Kelsey 1, Amanda 2.

“The point is it was going to be communicated through my ear, and it didn’t come at that moment. So I went with what I had been told.”

To read the rest of the article go to TV Tonight.

And that is the end of the Australia’s Next Top Model yarn, moving onto a new story tomorrow.

But she began to hear the name ‘Amanda’ through the crowd cheers and fireworks and realised that a mistake had been made.

1 GeelongDeano { 09.29.10 at 11:08 pm }

2 smauge { 09.29.10 at 11:24 pm }

How about ” we are experiencing some technical difficulties”? And does this in anyway explain the Harpers Bazaar message earlier in the afternoon? And why am I even commenting when I don’t even have Foxtel??

3 Reality Raver { 09.30.10 at 9:01 am }

Some people think the covers may have been uploaded at that time but put not put on the web.

4 Anonymous { 09.30.10 at 1:51 pm }

“So we finally have the answer” heard second or third hand as most of your ‘reportage’ on this incident has been.

5 sourkraut { 09.30.10 at 2:27 pm }

the whole thing is a monumental non event (and anyway a blonde did not win!)

6 Muru { 09.30.10 at 3:13 pm }

“If that’s what happened, then Sarah Murdoch has to take some of the blame. Big assumption that kelsey was still in the lead.”

Not really. It depends when Sarah Murdoch was told that information. Was it after or before the votes had closed? If she was told Kelsey had won after the voting was closed and votes were counted, I can’t see how it’s her fault.

7 Reality Raver { 09.30.10 at 10:14 pm }

Anonymous – a great piece of writing on frockwriter (http://frockwriter.blogspot.com/2010/09/we-had-this-great-idea-that-we-wouldnt.html#disqus_thread). I am a big fan of Patty’s blog.

Yes I do report on what other people are saying, and that is probably the difference between a blogger and journo. To be fair Patty Huntington was reporting on what was said on the media, but has analysed it more. I particularly like the point she made about the anomalies in the story. However I don’t think we will see much more on this story, except someone quietly sacked.

8 Reality Raver { 09.30.10 at 10:15 pm }

Sourkraut – And only one blonde in the final – how unaustralian.

Muru – interesting point.

9 Gillian { 10.01.10 at 11:10 am }

See Frockwriter’s blog piece on this for slightly more insightful coverage on the situation.”

I have no respect for people who write snarky comments anonymously. Be critical and discerning by all means but be woman or man enough to put your real name to it. Attack the argument, not the person. As RR said, Frockwriter used the same sources but provided a longer analysis. Each to their own.

10 Anonymous { 10.04.10 at 12:05 pm }

If you hit send before filling in your ‘name’ it automatically defines you as anonymous. But thanks for the etiquette correction. I feel attacked too. Did not know RR was above criticism. Nobody else is apparently.

11 Reality Raver { 10.04.10 at 1:06 pm }

Anonymous and Gillian – I am happy to be criticised, and hence explained myself.
Apologies Anon if you thought I was being snarky to you, but was happy you pointed out Patty’s blog post as it was ripper and did get me thinking about a few points.
I know that some of my blog posts are better then others due to a variety of reasons.
And I was wrong about it being the end of the story as another press release lobbed into my inbox on the Friday, saying they had found the person who had stuffed up.