The Block – I Think I Need More Drama

Does anyone else worry about all these very tired people driving around Sydney, it is a wonder they did not crash into their cars? Considering they are all surviving on three or four hours sleep it cannot be safe.

After their win last week, Erin and Jake’s week did not start off well as the ceiling fell on them as they were trying to remove a cornice. With the technique they were using you knew it was going to be ugly.

Brenton was also having dramas with a sander that kept on shorting the power. Note to Chez if you are going on a reality show take a bathrobe. He also shorted Jake and Erin apartment as well.

They have been stuffing up all over the place. Chez and Brenton flat has been leaking water down into the boys flat because they have not turned of taps properly, but the thing that really pushed them over them over the edge was when they realised Chez had been accidentally spilling floor stainer on thier balcony. She had to scrub it off.

But thank God for them they were the only ones providing any drama on the show, and I hope next week it gets amped up a bit.

The rooms:

Neisha and John – the judges like luxury so they liked their guest bedroom with hidden office. Also it was nice and light.The bedhead that Neisha made was good.

Mark and Duncan  had really amped up their design and they got the big improvment award. However they were criticised for having it too cluttered.

Erin and Jake’s room was a study, John McGrath said this could be detrimental to them on sale day as people could look at the apartment as being two bedrooms with a study. They called it “risky but sexy”. They certainly have a lot of style, however not sure I am totally enamoured with the dark walls.

Chez and Brenton had done an art deco type bedroom. I quite liked it but they were criticised for their floorboards, as they thought the sanding and staining could be better.

Neisha and John won and it was a good prize, as they got $5000 from Reece and Caesar stone for their bench top in their kitchen.

By the way I am prepared to put up with constant pimping of sponsors, but the blokes going to Telstra to look at the T-hub was too much.

Also if you are wondering where The Boss Is Coming To Dinner went, it has been dumped, and now RPA is in its place. The ratings were tanking.

1 Olly { 10.06.10 at 10:22 pm }

Um, isn’t Undercover Boss a channel ten program? Series one has finished but C10 is showing the Aussie version of Undercover Boss after the Commonwealth Games. And as far as I know, RPA has always followed The Block on channel 9.

2 Reality Raver { 10.06.10 at 10:42 pm }

Olly – Duh you are right, I meant the Boss Is Coming To Dinner. Thanks for pointing that out, much appreciated.

3 Olly { 10.06.10 at 11:08 pm }

Ah yes of course, Boss Is Coming To Dinner. Thank god that show is gone! Thank you for pointing that one out :)

4 Injera { 10.07.10 at 7:56 am }

When you first mentioned (oh, ages ago) that “The Block” was coming back, I was really excited. The first episode was a bit of a drag, though, and I have to say I keep forgetting to watch it. Partly that’s because I can’t get Nine to series link on my IQ and that’s the only way I seem to know how to keep up with TV at the moment. I think I’ll stick to following it here – let me know if it becomes “must see”!

5 Wurstsemmel { 10.07.10 at 7:58 am }

TBISCTD – gone, as predicted by many.

I LOVED the previous series of The Block but this series is just underwhelming. Someone previously said that it’s more like HomeMade and that’s exactly it. It’s more about decorating than renovating. They have it too easy compared with past years.

Love how Chez and Brenton remade over their past room to copy the dark floorboard stain favoured by last week’s winning team…and noted how they changed their cornices to be more ornamental like other teams from last week. For someone who bragged of so many design ideas pumping through her head, it’s amazing how many are ripped off from someone else.

Thought the right room won. The boys room was much better, just gone a little too much in the other direction this time.

But, really, if there was anything else decent to watch at this time, I’d be giving it a miss.

6 Annon { 10.07.10 at 11:01 am }

It just falls flat. I don’t know why, it just does. The ‘boys’ are my favourite team, but it is not enough to keep me watching

7 Jaime { 10.07.10 at 11:41 am }

I agree totally Annon. I want to love it but it falls flat. Not enough action, too much Chez whining, way too much product placement. Im a sucker for anything lifestyle channel/renovation and even i’m not glued to this. I really hope it gets better! Looks like next week the happy healthy couple get the claws out which should be interesting anyway!!

8 Gillian { 10.07.10 at 12:22 pm }

I watched this for the first time last night. I’m never going to be able to get that time back waiting for Brenton to construct a sentence. I find Chez incredibly annoying. I really like the other couples and find the two fat tradies very endearing. I don’t know if I’d have been as forgiving if someone dripped residue onto my balcony . I loved the flower arrangement :-)

9 seepi { 10.07.10 at 1:22 pm }

Sigh. Me too. I loved the previous series of the Block.

I think it is moving too fast, and focussig too much on the ‘game show’ elements, and not treating it more like real couples doing real renovations.

In the previous series the couples got to choose what room they were doing (I think), and also were able to deviate from the set plan for the flats, whereas this time around they are all told they have to make a new ensuite etc.

It seems to have gone the way of Masterchef – less focus on the couples doing the reno, and more ‘competition’ build up.

It isn’t all that different than having 4 empty sets on a tv lot, and getting the 4 couples to run over to them and ‘decorate’.

And why keep them up all night all the time – it just makes them tired and flat.

The best bit of the ep was Chezza’s dusty hairstyle.

10 MolksTVTalk { 10.07.10 at 2:58 pm }

Just received the preview for next week’s ep. It’s official – we have the conflict amped up, and a bitch has arrived on The Block. Pure. Gold.

11 Reality Raver { 10.07.10 at 5:01 pm }

Seepi – some empty sets on a tv lot was called Top Design and that was fantastic show. I was a US production.

Injera – At the moment it is OK but not must watch TV

Wursts – has chez even got interior design quals? or is it just something she wants to be.

Jaime – I would like to see how much the tradesmen are doing on their rooms.

Gillian – Neisha and JOhn are my faves, no nonsense. The tradies are nice also. But sometimes nice can mean for a dull show.

Annon – well maybe it will start to amp up.

MolksTVTalk – good to hear.