Julie Goodwin Sold $3.7 million Worth Of Her Cookbook

Masterchef Australia Julie Goodwin has proven sceptics wrong with over $3.7 million worth of book sale for her cookbook Our Family Table.

News.com.au states:

In the six months since its April release, it has sold 138,603 copies, notching up more than $3.7 million in sales and rocketing to the top of the Nielsen Bookscan list of top 10 cookbooks this year.

This statistic was part of a story which showed Masterchef cooks were blitzing the cookbook sales. Her book and MasterChef Australia The Cookbook: Volume 1 account for 10c in every dollar spent on the booming cookbook market.

I find it interesting the cookbook market is going so well considering the amount of recipes available online.

Gary Mehigan’s cookbook Comfort Food is also selling well.

1 Liss { 10.09.10 at 8:19 am }

Well you know I didn’t buy Julie’s because I already have all the recipes (bar the lemon diva cupcakes, but I’m sure I could track that down if I needed to)…

I received Gary’s book from a dear foodie friend for my birthday and it’s actually really good. I would recommend that one actually. Masterchef Vol 1 I got for Christmas (like everyone else I think) and you know I don’t think I’ve flicked through it more than twice. eek.

That said, I *ahem* do have a lot of cookbooks..

2 Injera { 10.09.10 at 9:28 am }

Well, I’m definitely one of the skeptics – very surprised it’s done so well!

Liss, have you cooked many of the recipes, and are they reliable?

3 Liss { 10.09.10 at 9:29 am }

I’ve cooked two of the recipes from Garry’s book – both worked no issues. The book is very much geared towards the homecook and not many ‘far out there’ ingredients. It’s pretty relate-able.

4 smauge { 10.09.10 at 10:04 am }

I bought MC Vol 1 and I love it. It was invaluable whe my son wanted a maccaron tower for his birthday. (the recipe in the book was for a smaller amount rather than the industrial size recipe from the tower episode)
Now I buy the magazines and I love them. Have only tried a handful of recipes but they are beautiful just to flick through sometimes.
I dont need Julie’s book as I have the Womans Weekly Basic Cookbook hehehehe
As for books v Internet – the net’s great for using a recipe off the cuff, but there’s nothing like a lovely cookbook with glossy pictures opened up on the kitchen bench. You know the best cookbooks. They’re the ones with ingredients all splattered amongst its pages!

5 Reality Raver { 10.09.10 at 11:40 am }

LIss I am considering getting Gary’s book. I have heard good things.

Smauge – I have got a few mags, and only cooked one thing out of them. I have to be honest I prefer Delicious.

Injera – well with an captive audience and a well timed release it should do well.

6 brain dead dave { 10.09.10 at 1:10 pm }

Sweating into food is not cool. I’m still a sceptic.

7 sourkraut { 10.11.10 at 1:04 pm }

Come back Paul. All is forgiven.
When will we be priveleged to get the ImPOHster’s cook book?

8 Food Fight – Who Owns “My” Chilli Crab? « { 12.09.10 at 3:19 pm }

[…] The Australian cookbook industry seems totally immune to the tendrils of the GFC.  Sales over the past 2 years are reported to have grown by over 35%. By the end of this year, Australians will have spent $90 million dollars on cookbooks which represents sales of 4.5 million titles annually. At least 10% of these sales are spinoffs from the Masterchef juggernaut. For example, 2009 winner Julie Goodwin has sold $3.7 million worth of her book “Our Family Table”. […]