The X Factor – Party Anthems

Tonight I was lucky enough to attend the live show and it certainly does give the show a different dynamic.

Just a few points before getting into the recap:

• I don’t know whether it is because Kyle iss newly single but there were a disturbing number of girls yelling out “I love Kyle” from the audience, unfortunately I was not close enough to stage an intervention;
  • Kyle popped out regularly for his cigarette breaks (I presume) and one time he was escorted back to his seat by his assistant. I think he was the one that Amanda Grafanakis may have accidentally insulted, clearly she said something about his hair;
  • Ronan Keating drank beer in the ad breaks, because he is a rock star;
  • Also it should be mentioned that Ronan probably wasn’t having the greatest day as it was the one year anniversary of his bandmates death;
  • Guy Sebastian is the standout judge as he manages to give witty comments with constructive advice, so next year he needs to negotiate a pay rise and a larger dressing room;
  • Also Dave the warm up and ad break guy worked his guts out to keep the energy level in the room he also needs a payrise;
  • Toby and Hardassah were there from the last series of Beauty and the Geek, which gives me the opportunity to pimp an old interview with him here,

India-Rose Madderom – Jai Ho

India-Rose is definitely being pimped as other commenters have pointed out she gets much more air time. This week it was her rapping again before an ad break, and she was the snippet for the competition. She is gorgeous and probably reminds them of The X Factor winner Leona Lewis.

But it does make me a bit cranky that her vocal flaws are not pointed out, like tonight she just didn’t sing some words of the song, but was that mention? No. Is it mentioned with other singers? Yes. Funnily enough she was not one of the audience’s favourites.

Andrew Lawson – Heartache Tonight

This is where I got confused I thought it was party anthems, so I was thinking dance music, like the stuff you dance around your handbag to, not an Eagles number. I thought Andew lacked stage presence and confidence, also his voice is not as strong as I thought it was going to be. Combine that with the lame song choice and he is going to struggle to stay out of the bottom two.

Amanda Grafanakis – I’ve Got A Feeling

The difference between live and watching it at home, is that there is so much activity on the stage, most song have dancers, back up singers and even musos up there, and this can be distracting and means you take you eye off the main performer. And this was definitely the case with Amanda tonight, she looked great but was just dwarfed by whate was going on onstage.

She had men on stiltz doing backflips, and then topless men with six packs ran onto the stage. She was criticised for not having enough energy for the song by Natalie Imbruglia. Which I thought was a little unfair considering it was a three ring circus going on behind her.

Luke and Joel – Hey Ya

These were a surprise packet to me. They reminded me of a younger, possibly better looking version of The Proclaimers, when they do their geeky schtick, there voices are not the best but they were very entertaining. One of the highlights of the night.

Sally Chatfield – Don’t Stop Me Now

She had the biggest fanbase at the show, there was genuine excitement in the air prior to her performance. Going on this she is in with a real chance to win the series. Also her stage prescence is quite mesmerising, and her voice is the strongest in the competition.

She did a great job and deserves to be safe.

Mitchell Smith – Forever

I am about to get flamed by a thousands of teeny boppers, but Mitchell’s voice is the weakest in the competition. I don’t know whether it would be more scandalous if they were using autotune on him or if they are not, see this article from The Guardian about the auto-tune scandal surrounding the UK series of the show.

Should be gone but won’t be.

Maghogany – Baby Hit Me One More Time

I read last week that the groups were able to pre-record their harmonies before the live shows which is interesting, but I am not sure whether this was the case tonight. They were good as they are each week, but are they as memorable as some of the other acts? No.

I thought it strange when Natalie said she wanted one of the girls to be more of the lead as it should be in all girl bands. As I had always thought the skinny blond one, sang far more lead vocals then the rest of them.

Alytian Childs – Living On A Prayer

Now you’ve heard of the horse whisperer, but I think Ronan is the Alytian whisperer as he manages to harness a highly strung person into a good performance most weeks, and that cannot be easy. Tonight Alytian was highlight, and as usual his performance was entertaining, I have to confess I even did a woo hoo in his song. The crowd went wild, so at least tonight he must be feeling good about himself.

He is much better when he gets to rock out. No more ballads please.

Ironically he is trending on twitter.

Hayley Teale – When Love Takes Over

Hayely had the best set with a gigantic glitter ball and a sign she got to sit in that spelled out Love. She reminds me of Vanessa Amarosi, she has a great voice, and it was a good performance, but I think she will get left behind at some stage, as she is against the very popular Sally, and the highly pushed India-Rose.

It was a great night, and I hope for the shows’s sake that now Alytian and The X Factor are trending on twitter that this is an indication the ratings might have gone up.

My bottom two predictions – Andrew Lawson and India-Rose Madderom.

1 Paula { 10.11.10 at 9:18 am }

bottom 2 for me are Kyle’s guys for sure… just wondering if they both go can we loose Kyle too??

2 TDK { 10.11.10 at 12:30 pm }

I don’t know why I am even commenting, but heck.
Re. “I am about to get flamed by a thousands of teeny boppers”, I don’t think you will get this much flames from teeny boppers; this is two fold – I don’t think you have that many readers, and secondly teeny boopers would be you tubing, not reading blogs.
Again, I don’t know why I am even commenting because I hate this show, it is so lame.

3 Lea { 10.11.10 at 12:52 pm }

Luke and Joel, for me, seem to get better every week. During the culling process I was amazed that they were chosen into the top 12, but now that they’re here, they’ve won me over with their performances.

Paula – I hope so!!

TDK – next time, go with your instincts and keep your comments to yourself.

4 TDK { 10.11.10 at 12:57 pm }

Lea: LOL, I knew I’d get up someone’s nerves. But really what is the point of a blog without opinions.

Anyway, RR been good to know your blog.
Thanks Injera for your write-ups.
Fairwell realityravings.com

5 Kaylen { 10.11.10 at 12:58 pm }

Hmm. Just watched the recording, and it was alright.

The girls and the over 25s were my favourites. The groups were ok-ish. The boys were a disaster.

I have to admit with Mitchell, I really liked his audition and loved his voice there. I’m with Ronan here in regards to him – his voice suits a different genre of songs than what he has been singing. And if he did them, he’d be really good. But currently? Gods, I hated that song and how he did it.

Bottom two that I would prefer are the two boys, but I’d as easily be happy with the two that RR predicted.

6 brain dead dave { 10.11.10 at 1:06 pm }

I love your spelling of “Maghogany” above,RR. It’s a winner.

7 reality raver { 10.11.10 at 2:44 pm }

TDK – I am not really sure what that was all about. But anyway thanks for being a long time reader and participant.

Kaylen – i think Mitchell is so popular he won’t be bottom two. The stylist guy on the Xtra Factor last night was right, he will be on Summer Bay last year.

BDD – I think some of your comments about them infected my brain, teach me not to use a spell check.

8 Izobel2 { 10.11.10 at 2:59 pm }

Summer Bay last year RR?

Thanks for another great ‘in-house’ recap anyway. I hope Andrew goes. My husband saw this ep last night and I wanted to change the channel when Andrew was singing so he didn’t think I watched such rubbish! I was surprised at Luke & Joel & Altiyan, normally they’re much worse.
And I agree RR, the judges hardly comment on the poor vocals, I noticed too that India Jai Ho missed some words and the judges said zero about it.
And seeya TDK. You’ll be missed. Not.

9 reality raver { 10.11.10 at 3:09 pm }

izobel2 – having a shocker – I meant next year.

10 scruffnkelsmum { 10.11.10 at 3:26 pm }

I just want to put my 2cents worth in and say that I am fast losing interest in this show, because I record it and keep missing the stupid ending as it goes so far over time. yeah, I know record the next show too- BUT, I shouldn’t have to!!!! and yes, I have whinged to CH7-for all the good that will do. and so what if it’s “Live”- schedule less bloody ads…grrrr

11 Culinary Boner { 10.11.10 at 3:36 pm }

Monogamy or whatever they’re called will go nowhere unless they embrace some pop culture, viral publicity approaches. While I am not currently watching the Xcrement factor, I did see parts of the earlier shows and saw these gurls in action. They are just plain dull. Which makes their unremarkable performances an unsellable commodity, even in the crapola pop music market. Presuming the gurls have a few neurons firing between them, they will have noticed that the most publicity they got – ever – came (pun intended) as result of Guy’s recent on-air oral mishap. So ladies, suggest you get working on some sex tapes. In a group too, if you want to stand apart from the more run of the mill stuff out there. This’ll get you the profile needed to make it without any phenomonal performing talent. Either that or get hooked up with some of the more anti-social footy players in the NRL or AFL. Who’d remember Paulina, runner-up from Idol yonks ago, if it weren’t for her “tempestuous” relationship with that Newcastle Knight centre, Wes whats-‘es-name? Either way, the gurls’ll ‘lose some skin’, as they say. But wtf, they’ll become famous won’t they? Isn’t this primary reason for existence nowadays? Yours cynically, Boner.

12 Izobel2 { 10.11.10 at 3:39 pm }

Forgot to ask RR, were Toby & Hadassah smoochin? Toby was my fave from last season.

13 Irene { 10.12.10 at 6:17 pm }

thanks for your fun review. I was there too that night so especially enjoy it xx

14 bella vita { 10.13.10 at 2:24 am }

TDK, I am also one for smart arse comments, however attacking RR’s blog wasn’t called for. This blog also has links to Twitter so a broad audience Im guessing.
Who knows what people ages are on blogs! hence the fantastic mystery that posting anonymous allows.
Keep reading and posting your comments, makes things more interesting!