The X Factor – Blockbuster Movie Night

Since it is putting the boot into Kyle Sandilands week, (see this article in The Sunday Telegraph and Ros Reines column) allow me to continue.

Andrew Lawson finally got a decent song to sing with Love is All Around, or maybe I just don’t hate it as much as last week’s Crocodile Rock. Everyone was hinting it, but maybe Kyle Sandiland’s not mentoring Andrew this week was an advantage. Kyle tried to claim the song choice was a collaborative decision between him and Brian McFadden, but somehow I doubt it.

Maybe I was imagining it but was Kyle looking a little sheepish when Andrew was getting gushing compliments for his performance tonight.

I thought Natalie Imbruglia looked stunning tonight, and would love to know the colour of her lipstick. Luke Jacobz has really grown with the show, and is fitting into his role well.

But gee didn’t they milk the Altiyan Childs going off into a cave and disappearing. If you listened to Ronan Keating tonight, being emotionally unstable is one of the criteria to make you a certifiable rock star. Altiyan’s performance was good tonight, but I won’t be surprised if he is in the bottom two.

Disappearing for 24 hours is not too strange if he went to a hotel or friends house, but going to a cave well that is another thing entirely. And if anyone knows his former fiancee contact me as I would love to know what she is like, considering Altiyan has taken nearly a decade to get over her.

However maybe girls dig the rock star bad boy, as Shelly Horton on The Xtra Factor biological clock was clanging or she was going through early menopause when she was gushing about Alytian flirting with her in the make-up room. She was looking very flushed indeed.

Onto the performances:

India-Rose Madderom – Fame

Can someone do something about this girls legs, she cannot seem to move them. She performs well from the waist up, but she always looks unco-ordinated once we get a shot of her legs.  Ronan thought it was one of her best vocals, and it still wasn’t great. Must be on her last life line soon.

Andrew Lawson – Love Is All Around

As they all said best performance by far, and Brian McFadden showed how to bring the young crooner into the 21st century. Also added some sex appeal for him. With Mitchell taken out last week, Andrew should have a clear run with the teen voters.

Luke and Joel – Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing

Not a high impact perfomance, but they are gaining a lot of fans. This song did not sit naturally with them and did show up their vocal weaknesses. I really wish make up would do something about their Aggro eyebrows.

Sally Chatfield – All By Myself

I really cannot see Sally losing the competition, unless she suddenly gets nodules on her larynx ala Cosima, however I must say she did look worried during the first half of the song. This must have been because she was losing her voice and had no idea what was going to come out. But still a better vocal performance them most tonight.

Hayley Teale – Queen of the Night

That coat she was wearing was amazing. I think each week they do a great job styling Hayley. Liked the performance and I am a fan. She reminds me of a young Vanessa Amorozi in looks and voice. I think Kyle needs to get over the fact she is gay, he keeps mentioning it.

Alytian Childs – Eye Of The Tiger

He has the advantage over everyone is that is stage craft is so much better then everyone elses. I don’t know if this is experience or talent. I think he makes the show much more interesting. But the ability to become an international rock star, I am still not convinced.

Mahogany – Say A Little Prayer

I thought Guy Sebastian really stuffed up on song choice for this group, one of the few mistakes he has made in this competition. It just dated them and made them seem even more like the corporate group they are. The song, and outfits made me think of  them performing at  function after a company’s annual golf day.

Bottom two  predictions – India-Rose, and Mahogany.

1 scruffnkelsmum { 10.24.10 at 11:32 pm }

I also got the impression that some of the contestants had far more help aka backing singers and “special effects” masking weaknesses in their vocals- 2 that stood out for me were India (was a bit surprised by that) and Luke & Joel. Yes, they are nice boys, but weak voices- sorry. Agree re India’s legs- weird, lol.

I thought Andrew had a few moments where he got “special effects” assistance with his voice, and so a lesser extent did Hayley.

Kyle needs shooting- cannot stand him AT ALL. What a waste of space he is- as a judge, as a mentor- actually… as pretty much anything!

Altiyan- yeah I get he is different, yes he can sing, but I am a bit over the antics and weirdo eyes…

Mahogany- yeah, I am a bit over them too, just a bit bland I thought, except for the screamer at the start.

I loved Sally, and I did really like Hayley’s performance too- I just thought her voice got a b it of “help”.

Luke Jacobz was marginally less annoying tonite and styled much better- more casual. (he started to annoy me when he went onto H&A, lol)

my 10c worth :)

2 Reality Raver { 10.24.10 at 11:34 pm }

Thanks Scruffnkellsmum – do you think they are using auto-tune as they did in the UK to make their voices sound better?

3 scruffnkelsmum { 10.24.10 at 11:40 pm }

Possibly- which is kinda annoying…given it is a bl00dy singing contest!!!!!! Not that the show will probably ever admit to it, but it is kinda obvious with some performances. Or I love the ones where you sometimes can’t hear the contestants for the backing singers!! But then, given how shaky some voices are- maybe that is a good thing, lol.

at least we didn’t have to suffer through another effort by the “oh so cute”… but pitchy Mitchell. Mind you, I did like his 1st audition- just nothing he did once Kyle got his claws into him! lol (can you tell I don’t like Kyle??? :))

4 Kaylen { 10.24.10 at 11:43 pm }

I totally agree with everything you said.

Sally and Hayley were the stand outs, as with Altyian. Though I feel that perhaps he is starting to get too over-promoted and it might backfire on them.

Re: Hayley. Haha, I also thought that she reminded me a bit of Vanessa Amorozi too. Though the voice isn’t as strong, just the performance, her look and slightly her voice just made me go “Like, whoa. Déjà vu!”

Though I think I was a tad distracted by those guys that were carrying her out. Yummy. 😉

Other than those three, though? Eh.

Hope India will finally go – she was just… blah.

5 Kaylen { 10.24.10 at 11:52 pm }

Re: auto-tune comments.

I think perhaps they are for certain performers, as I’ve noticed right at the end of a song when there is a note that is usually drawn out, that all of a sudden (a split second before the contestant actually finishes the note & song) their pitch suddenly changes.

The actual note itself hasn’t changed, but the pitch goes from clean and crisp to, well, not.

It’s not often that it happens, and when it does it’s only for a very fast split second.

So… make of it what you will.

6 Fiona { 10.25.10 at 10:11 am }

Unfortunately India seems to have zero sense of rhythm which was highlighted when she couldn’t dance or even move to the beat of her song which really requires a bit of oomph. Bottom 2 I think. I like most of the styling except for Sally, I’m really tired of Sheridan putting her in black short dresses and tights, black doesn’t suit her and it makes her look shorter and wider. He is not helping her, like the song though. The boys were pretty weak, the song exposed their voices, the judges tried to play on their likeability but they may be bottom 2 also.

Agree about Mahogany, the song dated them and made them look like wedding singers not breakout popstars. Woops with the opening notes!

I don’t really like Luke Jacobz hosting, he seems pretty friendly like a labrador puppy, but I tend to fastforward whenever he comes on and smiles at us. Not sure what Matt Newton would have brought to the table, hosting this show is a thankless task methinks.

Altiyan was great, except for the eyerolls they put me off a bit, but how did the cameras get to the cave if no one knew where he was, or did he go back there to show them where he was and then they filmed it? Weird. Loved Eye of the Tiger, agree about the stagecraft (please note India) and loved Beautiful Day last week, 1000 times better than the guy who won American Idol whose name I cannot for the life of me remember!

7 brain dead dave { 10.25.10 at 1:13 pm }

The producers are using Alti -tune on that pumped up,cave dwelling cheese machine.

8 brain dead dave { 10.25.10 at 1:22 pm }

PS I now wonder if the glitchy opening of Mahogany’s offeringwas Auto tune related.

9 Karla { 10.25.10 at 6:53 pm }

@fiona, yes the producers took Altiyan back to the cave so they could film it. It was a great story- so they played up to it!