Altiyan Childs Says He Feel Like An Outcast

The X Factor’s enigma Altiyan Childs has spoken to TV WEEK about feeling like an outcast amongst his fellow contestants.

The article states:

“In the beginning, I felt like an outcast,” he says. “Maybe it’s my age? Maybe peole see my comfort on stage as a threat? Some of it’s self inflicted, thought. I definitely isolated myself – I needed some alone time.”

Altiyan 35, has also found that not everyone in the house has as much respect for others as he does.

“I don’t expect anyone to be perfect, but I expect people to say ‘hello’, ‘goodbye’, ‘please’ and ‘thank you’,” he says. “I tiptoe around when people are asleep and hold the door open or people, but I don’t always get afforded the same courtesies.”

While he admits the talent show has been “emotionally draining”, he insits he’s never been depressed.

“i’ve never had depression,” he says. “but I’m not sure how people expect a singer/songwriter to be . I need to be sad [and to] suffer. If I stop, there goes my creativity.”

And a lot of his suffering has come from sadness over his dad’s ill health.

“I’ll break into tears most of the time if it’s anything to do with my father’s pain,” he confesses. “he has a bad heart and yet has to work a very physical job. I live with a daily sadness, knowing any day could be his last.

Altiyan stills baffles me and I am sure there is more to his story then he has yet to reveal, however I thought the suffering artist schtick was a bit over the top. But then he is melodramatic.

1 kenobi { 10.26.10 at 11:29 pm }

I find that creativity flows better when you’re connected to intense emotions… sadness, anger, etc. I suppose intense joy could work too, but I’ve never been able to harness it creatively… Maybe because if I’m happy, I just enjoy the moment instead of, say, writing about it, haha. So as cliche as it sounds I think I get what he’s on about. I don’t want to speak for him but I get the impression he hasn’t had much practice at being truly happy and maybe wouldn’t know what to do with it, certainly not from an artistic perspective.

2 dmc { 10.27.10 at 7:37 am }

I’m sure he freaks the young kids out with his weird behaviour.

3 brain dead dave { 10.27.10 at 1:45 pm }

Hello Altiyan, **** off,please.Thank you,goodbye.

4 Reality Raver { 10.27.10 at 2:15 pm }

Kenobi – thanks for giving us another perspective.

DMC – I think he has a strong fan base but I am unsure which demographic.

Brain Dead Dave – I take it your not a fan.

5 Yorkshire Rose7 { 10.28.10 at 2:28 pm }

Altiyan Childs is my favourite contestant on The X Factor – Australia. He is a wonderful performer and singer, as well as having a great personality, treating anyone who asks him a question with the greatest respect and seeming very kindly towards the other contestants. Performance-wise, he has much in common with some of the other well-known ‘greats’, especially Michael Hutchence of INXS and Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones. I have been a devoted fan of Altiyan since the very beginning of the show. The expression of delight on his face when he is told that he has ‘got through’ says it all. I want to see that same expression when it is announced that he has won The X Factor – Australia!

6 kenobi { 10.28.10 at 6:00 pm }

No worries RR… I notice you didn’t post the article about Mitchell breaking up with his girlfriend, surely that’s the kind of news people want to hear? πŸ˜›

7 Reality Raver { 10.28.10 at 7:35 pm }

Kenobi – you are right I should have reported that Mitchell and his girlfriend had broken up. In the article I read it implied she had dumped him.

Also there are rumours India-Rose and Andrew Lawson are having a wee little romance.

8 Minnie { 11.24.10 at 3:57 pm }

Altiyan was the ONLY reason why I watched the show. Rock stars are born, not made, and he is a true rock star. From what I observed on the show, he has a great personality. I’m so happy he won the title, I really like him.

9 anon { 11.27.10 at 12:22 am }

check out masonia his former band and there’s a news clipping http://www.accessallareas.net.au/artists/Masonia.php scroll to artist biography