Iron Chef Australia – Guy Grossi v Judyta Slupnick
If Iron Chef was the NSW Public Service they would be trimming the fat from the cast of this show.
Either Grant Denyer or Chairman Kanga’s nephew is surplus to requirements. I feel sorry for him apart from doing the big reveal of the ingredients he sits at the judges table and does not even get to taste the dish nor reveal the winner. What is the point of him?
Also he deserves to be sacked for not making more out of the competitor’s restaurant name Phore.
Or more to the point what does Grant Denyer add? Richard Cornish could just do the commentary by himself or with a different judge each week.
Ok so I didn’t know zucchini flowers could be different genders, but at least I know what foie gras is.
On the plus side I thought there was a bit more rapport between the judges this week, however would it kill Larissa Dubecki to crack a smile occasionally, however I am in awe that she can gush over deep fried pate and still be a size 8.
Simon Thomsen is getting some good quips in, however he needs some styling advice. The shirt with the heavy check pattern with the paisley tie did not work.
Well and Leo is just Leo, a person who has lived a refined life with enthusiasm.
Anyway onto the competition….
It was Iron Chef Italian Guy Grossi versus Judyta Slupnick owner and head chef of Phore Restaurant in Adelaide. I don’t want to be East Coast centric, but is this chef a name in South Australia? On the plus side at least the show stumped up a female chef. But gee I would have liked to have seen Christine Mansfield or Kylie Kwong go head to head with him.
Now THAT would have had me sitting on the edge of my seat.
She spent 10 minutes getting the abalone prepped and then had to pound it like it was schnitzel.
Guy Grossi served:
- Duck liver parfait with a rose jelly which Leo thought was perfect.
- Duck Egg Omlette with asparagus, and consomme – Larissa loved the three elements.
- Duck and mushroom tortellini – Larissa was concerned that it was lacking in originality as it was on the Grossi Florentino menu, but Simon thought that was fine.
- Spice Roasted Duck Breast with Zucchini Flower stuffed with foie gras – Simon thought it was the equivalent of the deep fried mars bar, completely over the top.
However I thought Guy was just paying homage to the original Iron Chef who are profligate with this high end ingredient.
Judyta Slupnick (Head Chef and owner of Phore Seasons):
- Duck and abalone roulade – the abalone did get soft and was liked by all of the judges.
- Braised Duck Pasta – Larissa and Leo thought it was underseasoned.
- Duck cooked three ways – Simon wanted more pate in his deep fried pate toast, however Larissa thought hers was fine.
- Duck Egg Pancakes with Cherry and Rhubarb – Larissa got sentimental over because of her heritage.
Guy Grossi flogger her getting 48/60 to Judyta’s 41/60.
The challengers need to have more experience, as Leo Schofield confirmed the 36 year old chef was inexperienced. Though rumour has it Guy Grossi does get knocked off in one of the episodes coming up.