Iron Chef Australia – Chris Badenoch V Guillame Brahimi

Grant Denyer was happy to have Chris Badenoch as a challenger as he could look him in the eye.

Even though Chris would have been happy about all the publicity the show was giving his new cookbook The Entire Beast, he was always going to lose.

It was a no brainer on who was going to win, Iron Chef French, Guillame Brahimi a trained chef had two trained sous chefs to assist. Whilst Chris had, his partner Julia Jenkins both untrained, and his sous chef Hugh, who I presume is trained even though Julia was telling him how to cook raspberries with sugar. With only having an hour to prep and cook it meant Chris and Julia were not going to be able to fit as much in the allotted time.

As usual Julia is the bridesmaid never the bride. When she was Masterchef Australia when she beat the chef and was fast forwarded to final’s week and taken from our screens. Her profile never rose to he heights of the other contestants. And now she is again playing second fiddle.

If Channel 7 renew the show they need to put in some serious challengers. There is no tension as you know who is going to win each week.

On the plus side if they do an Australian production of Top Chef they could do worse with having Larissa Dubecki and Simon Thomsen on the judging panel.

Tonight the main ingredient was chocolate.

Both did two savoury and two sweet dishes. I thought it a tad unfair that the iron chef pre-prepped Gingerbread for his emulsion, whereas Chris made his chocolate cake for his dessert from scratch.

Iron Chef French made:

• Carpaccio of venison which Leo Schofield thought was close to perfection.
  • Whole veal sweetbread with gingerbread and chocolate sauce. I thought Larissa was looking uncomfortable whilst chewing the  sweetbreads, but ended up being very positive about the dish.
  • White chocolate mousse with raspberries and a granita was a pre-dessert. Larissa said it was too sweet for a pre-dessert.
  • Chocolate tart with vanilla bean icecream. It looked sensational, however I agree with Simon Thomsen who said “It is good, but does not push the boundaries of chocolate as I would like to see it.”.

Chris cooked:

• White Chocolate egg encased duck liver parfait – “I really like the orange in the dish” said Simon. Did anyone else think it was similar to Heston Blummenthal’s dormouse dish on one of his medievil episodes?
  • Leo was critcal about presentation but was positive about the taste.
  • Venison and Chocolate cigars – Simon called it a chocolate sausage roll, and Larissa liked the nut sauce. I think we can say this dish was not a success.
  • Chocolate Porter Pannacotta with framboise jelly. “This pannacotta is harder then the plastic on a Hollywood starlet” said Simon. And he meant that as a negative thing.
  • Chocolate Cake with sour cherry beer sauce which the judges really liked, will we see it on his new restaurant menu?

The iron chef won, and it was telling that he beat Chris by five points on taste. However Chris can take heart that he beat him in originality of his dishes.

Mildly entertaining episode, but next week Channel Seven gave a spoiler in their preview by saying “And you thought an Iron Chef could not be beaten.” If this is the case did I really need to know before the show?

1 Heléna { 11.02.10 at 10:17 pm }

did anyone notice Brahimi tasting food and then returning the spoon to the dish *ugh* I won’t be eating at Guillaumes anytime soon

it was great publicity for Chris’ book and restaurant – I’m looking forward to hearing reviews of his restaurant when it opens, I like the concept I only wish he was opening in Sydney :)

2 Reality Raver { 11.02.10 at 10:22 pm }

I wouldn’t mind getting some of Brahimi’s germs but not by poor food handling techniques…

Larissa is almost guaranteed to review it.

3 AnonyMousse { 11.02.10 at 11:42 pm }

What was the point in bringing in a cook that specialises in head-to-tail cooking, then giving him CHOCOLATE as a main ingredient? Outcome was inevitable as soon as the ingredient was announced. If the main ingredient had been offal, he might have had a real chance.

I’ve mentioned it before, but Australian Master Chef seems to have missed the spirit of the original show . The original had good/well rated chefs vs the ‘master’ iron chefs, whereas they’ve tried for the ‘Aussie Battler’ chefs in this version and it just doesn’t have the same tension.

4 Bee { 11.03.10 at 8:01 am }

I thought the exact same thing Anony. Chocolate – they were setting him up to fail. Rigged.

5 Annon { 11.03.10 at 8:36 am }

Rigged? Hogwash. The reason he didn’t win was because he is a dude that worked in marketing for 20 years then went on a tellie show about cooking and became ‘famous’. He was up against a world renown Chef. Thats why he lost

6 AnonyMousse { 11.03.10 at 9:02 am }

Which is why the Iron Chef didn’t need the advantage of an ingredient he would have had much more experience in, Annon. No chef is perfect at cooking everything, not even world reknowned ones, so the only way we were going to get a decent competition last night was either if they gave an ingredient that played to the challenger’s strengths or if they gave one that played to the Iron Chef’s weaknesses.

7 MelbaToast { 11.03.10 at 9:02 am }

I was a bit disappointed that the challenge was chocolate…boring! I also wish that they would have some more experienced challengers who have a chance of winning…how about Tetsuya vs Neil Perry! That’s a battle I’d love to see.

8 reality raver { 11.03.10 at 9:10 am }

annony – I thought the ingredient was a bit unfair also, considering they were already behind the eight ball on prep skills like chopping etc.
Also agree NO TENSION please use better competitors.

However apparently they get told 2 ingredients a few weeks out so do get to prep.

It was great publicity for him, I just hope with his restaurant menu that he doesn’t get too esoteric and have too much offal and beer combinations as that will turn people off going there.

Bee – I think Chris’s were more original and more Iron cheffy.

Annon – hard enough to compete against a top chef if you are a trained chef.

9 freestyler { 11.03.10 at 10:12 am }

the only reason a reality show contestant was on there is because Leo Schofield is good mates with Julie Gibbs who is the head honcho at Penguin Lantern who published Chris’s book. Push the publicity

10 seepi { 11.03.10 at 11:13 am }

I thought it was a good episode actually. I was disappointed they both used venison – is it known to go with chocolate or something.

I cannot imagine white chocolate with duck liver…it sounds vile, but the judges thought it was good = or so they said.

Grant Denyer seemed quite tense last night – very forced smiles I thought.

And the spoiler was hopeless – whoever wrote that should be forced to finishe off the duck and choc creations, and do the washing up.

11 Ellie { 11.03.10 at 12:30 pm }

Rumours already circulating on twitter last week that Guy Grossi lost in one battle. Last night spoiler couldn’t be more fail! The judges are too rigid. There are almost zero interactions among judges unlike the original. I feel like I am watching a posh version of ready, steady, cook.

12 cookie_monster { 11.04.10 at 10:29 pm }

What do you expect about this show? It’s far away from reality that no matter who you put there as a contestant, they will loose. Chris’s food more iron-chefy, distinct and stylish. I admire Chef Brahimi but no way they will allow Chris to win, its as simple as saying, you’re on a channel 7 show, is it good to see that a former master chef contestant beat an iron chef? no way ….its totally rigged, sorry for chris and julia, but that’s how it works, anyway for a lot of people you’re a winner…

13 Pollywaffle { 11.06.10 at 9:46 pm }

Chris B, please stop dressing up as Freddy Krueger, you’re scaring the kiddies

14 sourkraut { 11.09.10 at 1:42 pm }

What no smart arsed sarcastic comment from the brain dead one?
Disappointing!

15 canna believe { 11.10.10 at 8:30 pm }

Hello cookie_monster
We really think you should not be telling someone like Chris Badenoch that he is a winner to alot of people.
You obviously don’t know the extent of damage and trail of unpaid bills and hurt people left on the path behind him.
It’s naive and insensitive and we mean really insensitive.
There are so many people out here so damaged by his actions.
He went on a reality tv show, nothing else, and his cruelty and narcissicm are dangerous.
We are not angry but understand by writing the words you do, you really have no idea who you are talking about, you are talking about your media-perception of him, not the real person.
We have had to deal with the reality of his irresposibility and cruelty and are still counting the cost.

have you ever asked him about his years in Sydney?