Chez From The Block Says She A Victim Of Cyberbullying

Allegations of cyber bullying have raised their ugly head and is upsetting Chez from The Block 2010. Earlier this year we had the Joanne from Masterchef Australia cyber bullying scandal, (see previous blog post on that saga here), and now controversial The Block contestant Chez is claiming she is the target of abusive messages from friends and supporters of Erin and Jake on Facebook.

TV WEEK writes:

“I’ve had some people really have a go at me and I think they’re friends of Erin and Jake’s,”; Chez tells TV WEEK. They’ve been saying some really nasty things like,’Why would you wear heels on a building site?’ and ‘All she does is sleep – she’s the laziest cow I have ever seen!’

"I’m trying not to take it ot heart, but it definitely upset me at first. I just wasn’t prepared for it. I really didn’t imagine there were so many nasty people out there. I’ve been in tears over it, and I’m not even a crier."

The Melbourne real estate agent, 28, is convinced the poisonous messages have been coming from members of their competitor’s camp, because of the nature of their content.

“It’s clearly Erin’s friends, because they’d say things like, ‘Go, Team Erin and Jake…. Chez you’re an idiot,'” she notes. “I know she’s been told [by producers] to tell them to stop.”

Adding to Chez’s upset was the fact that she says she was unhappy with how she was edited in the first few episodes.

“I think I was portrayed wrongly,” she explains. “It made me seem really ditsy and like I didn’t do any work.

“In that moment, it made me regret taking part in a reality show. I thought it would affect my career.”

Fortunately, Chez has been much happier with how she’s come across in subsequent episodes of the series.

“I see the positive side now and try to remember all the great stuff,” she says.

As for the Facebook drama, she admits some of her and partner Brenton’s friends also got in on the act, but now she just wants to move past it.

“Once a few of my friends saw what some people had written about me, it became a bit of a war and they were probably quite nasty back.

“But I’ve told them all not to stoop to that level, as it just makes us look bad as well. I need to just get back to normality and stop talking about The Block all the time.”

Erin responded and claims to “know nothing” about all the Facebook controversy.

“I don’t know of any of my friends who’ve been writing nasty things online,” the 26 year old insists.

“Besides, there has been nasty stuff written about all of us, [including] some things that seem to have been written about us by Chez’s friends.

“We’re just looking back and laughing at all the drama that happened when we filmed The Block.

I think I am on Team Chez for this one at least she admits her friends may have been culpable.

1 Annon { 11.03.10 at 4:49 pm }

It must be really hard not to read things about yourself online in situations like this. Even though “they signed up for it blah blah blah’, contestants on reality tv shows are humans, they do have feelings and they are not just performing monkeys. Not to read it would be the obvious solution, but I think that would be pretty hard not to. Its just human nature

2 Heléna { 11.03.10 at 9:05 pm }

anyone could have said those comments about Chez – not just Erin and Jake’s friends – it’s pretty much the opinion I have heard most places – though Chez is the main reason I keep watching the show :)

3 scruffnkelsmum { 11.04.10 at 12:39 am }

Most people I know find Chez annoying, so is it surprising there are negative comments on various sites about her that she doesn’t like. maybe she is trying to pin the blame on Jake & Erin (with no proof seemingly) in order to boost her own popularity and reduce theirs….

Perhaps if she spent more time on the reno, and not her looks and scoring points, she would be more “likeable”…..

4 seepi { 11.04.10 at 9:45 am }

If she is upset by comments like ‘why would you wear heels on a building site’ then she needs to calm down a bit. It’s hardly a vicious attack.

5 brain dead dave { 11.04.10 at 12:58 pm }

Scott Cam would never wear heels on a building site. He’s made the show unwatchable for me though I’m enjoying the recaps here.

6 Rosie { 11.04.10 at 7:14 pm }

Perhaps she would seem a little less ditsy if she stopped making such brilliant comments as “dibber dobber”…

7 Reality Raver { 11.04.10 at 8:36 pm }

Annon – Agree but they do get positive comments as well so should hopefully realise you are not going to appeal to everyone.

Helena – Agree if The Block Didn’t have Chez or Erin and Jake dynamic it would be super dull.

Scruffnkelsmum – she is getting a not great edit that makes her look like that is the case. However a few eps ago Brenton said the room would not have got finished without her.

Seepi – LOL

Brain Dead Dave – I think the consensus is it is not as riveting as the first two eps. It could be down to the contestants as well, they seem to have gone more for a different dynamic this time.

Rosie – good point.

BTW I am presuming The Block wasn’t on last night because of the crieket

8 scruffnkelsmum { 11.04.10 at 11:03 pm }

realityraver…gee, how surprising, her BF, who is on the show in a ‘partnership’ with her, goes on record to say she is being great….duh. Because of course, we would be expecting him to say…..??? yeah, you see my point???? not buying it…:)

9 bella vita { 11.05.10 at 2:27 am }

can’t stand Erin and Jake, though I think Chez is really milking this for all its worth.

I had a read on the official FB page and some of the comments are just out right laughable! You can clearly see who can’t stand Chez or Erin on both sides of the fence!

Erin seeems to not know much about anything..always playing the miss innocent card or the sympathy tag.
Series 1 had ligitimite arguments (Season 2 was just plain boring) and the cast were all great personalities
How much more duller can this season get?

10 Jaime { 11.05.10 at 2:45 pm }

Oh yeah that Erin is a piece of work!! Little Miss poor me! URGH. Couldnt stand Chez to start but at least she has some balls about her and isnt just a sooky little brat like Erin. I hope that other couple win. Not the blokes … the other ones… a bit sad that I dont even know their names!

11 scruffnkelsmum { 11.05.10 at 4:18 pm }

personally, based on the actual renos…I prefer Jake & Erin’s or next would be the married older couple.I too cannot remember their names. I like Jake & Erin’s decor style best tho….

and I think it is a little harsh to say “playing the sympathy card”- when she had to deal with a death in the family- that is not “playing” by anyone’s standards….

12 Ar { 11.10.10 at 11:41 pm }

I don’t know Jake and Erin but chez is massively annoying

13 Ar { 11.10.10 at 11:42 pm }

Chez is a punish she is seriously high school Brett has no ballsack

14 sassy { 06.06.11 at 8:38 pm }

I also found Erin to be a sookie brat who could dish it out but when it came to taking a bit, played crying card. In my opinion the sort of person who would do whatever to get ahead regardless of how it might affect anyone else. Basically selfish. I will give her that she did have good taste on the decorating front, but failed in the person stakes for me.

15 Kam { 09.02.11 at 6:03 pm }

It’s hardly surprising that people don’t like Chez. What can you like about lazy, stuck up, bossy and two faced person. Here in the UK when speaking to people, I havent yet come across one person who thinks differently. All she keeps doing throughout the program is talk behind Erins back but doesnt have the decency to confront her. Besides I think as Erins design ideas are much better jealousy takes over…