Junior Masterchef – Not All Unicorns And Fairy Floss After All

Junior Masterchef is a great show and is rating really well for channel ten, however as with all reality shows we are seeing a sanitised version.

The producers have made a decision to not show the kids crying due to pressure or stress of the cooking, a policy I wish they would take for the adult version.

However the Daily Telegraph are reporting one of the boys in this week’s show when it was filming was in tear twice and he was given ten more minutes to finish his recipe both of which was not shown on TV.

The article said:

FANS of Junior MasterChef have been served a sanitised version of the children’s cooking contest, after producers edited out the emotional meltdown of one young contestant this week.

Producers were yesterday forced to defend the decision to cut out the crying scenes from the pre-recorded episode, witnessed by The Daily Telegraph and visitors to the Sydney set last August.

The 12-year-old broke down twice during the pressure test, was given an extra 10 minutes to complete the task and was later counselled by staff psychologists.

While producers managed the dramatic moment on the day, what went to air on Monday night was a heavily-censored version of events.

The show’s executive producer Margie Bashfield is understood to have agonised over the episode, but was not available for comment.

Channel 10 would not address the incident but said, in a statement: “Many hours, often days of shooting go into the production of a single Junior MasterChef episode.

“Therefore only those moments that enhance the storyline or affect the outcome of a challenge, are able to be included in the final edit.”

Drawing an average audience of about 1.3 million viewers and acclaimed for its positivity, the program now faces scrutiny for manipulating footage and the real impact the competition is having on its young stars.

I feel sorry for the kid, but I hope for the other competitors sake that the extra ten minutes didn’t have an impact on their scores, as there should be a level playing field.

Like a circus when the animals are trotted out to perform are we not seeing how they are really being treated behind the scenes? Fingers crossed the Masterchef experience is a positive thing for most of the children.

1 SteveMolk { 11.03.10 at 9:45 am }

I don’t want to see the cheflings meltdown. I’m sure it happens (as it has now been reported); it’s not what Jnr MasterChef is about. As opposed to adult MasterChef where it’s all about the pressure of amateurs competing to be the best, Jnr MasterChef is about celebrating what kids can do.

2 SteveMolk { 11.03.10 at 9:48 am }

…and it was obviously Jack, based on the article, and how poorly he did in the pressure test itself.

3 scruffnkelsmum { 11.03.10 at 10:04 am }

and 2 of the kids are sick as well. how well are they looking after them????

4 Fides { 11.03.10 at 11:17 am }

Poor Jack. Once he was told to redo his pastry, I don’t think there was any way he could finish his dish properly within the hour. If it were me, yeah panic would have set in. And I’m not 12, madly trying to finish a dish I’ve never made, with the cameras rolling and playing for points.

While I’m no psychologist, I work with kids of that age group (9-12) who are under a lot of pressure to succeed and who will, unfortunately, routinely get very stressed. Some of these jnr masterchefs are looking very stressed in the challenges, especially the older kids. Made me feel a bit sick to see the twins’ faces a couple of times when the camera caught their anxious-to-terrified expressions on the Sunday night show. I also feel that the way the judges talk to and treat the smaller/younger contestants is a little different to the kids who are taller or near George’s height…

Like SteveMolk – I don’t want to watch these kids have breakdowns. That’s not entertainment. Just want to see them doing what they do best, without the strict rules that the adults get. Of course they should be thrown a few challenges and pushed to a certain extent, but if it’s making them sick or they’re having breakdowns, something’s not right.

5 Ellie { 11.03.10 at 12:19 pm }

This is the reason why I was so negative about this show from the beginning. They try to protray it as a show highlighting the talent of these kids but after all it’s a reality show involved kids. It’s a show the kids have to compete to win the title and to do it on national TV. My 8 years old love watching the show but when I jokingly ask if she want to be in the show, she said, “No way! Look how stress they all are.” that’s the first reaction from a child that age.

6 brain dead dave { 11.03.10 at 1:34 pm }

Maybe Jack saw Claire Winton Burns reaping the rewards of tantrums and tried it on himself ,bless his little hearth. He should have tried hiding in a cave for extra effect.

I don’t want to see the little wannabes crying either.

7 Anonymous { 11.03.10 at 2:50 pm }

BDD: LOL.

What the hell is the point of not naming the kid in these news leaks and then saying it is a 12-yo male.

8 smauge { 11.03.10 at 2:59 pm }

Good decision. These kids shouldn’t be humiliated for our entertainment. I don’t know many people who’d find that entertaining anyway. I’m sure it was traumatic enough for him when it happened. What benefit would be gained by showing it to the whole country?

9 Reality Raver { 11.03.10 at 3:09 pm }

MolksTV Talk – I don’t know why they didn’t just get him to roll it out and be done with it.

Scruffnkellsmum – yes and why did they make the kid get out of bed he looked a bit teary also.

Fides – Agree I thought the 1 hour was pushing it even for adult cooks

Ellie – my daughter is the opposite she wants to go on the show but cannot cook.

Brain Dead Dave – The cave will be used by next years Jnr masterchef contestants.

Anonymous – exactly and telling us which episode it is pretty obvious.

Smauge – Good point but why did the judges put extra pressure on him. The Daily Tele were on set that day and I wonder if they found it disturbing to watch.

10 Pollywaffle { 11.03.10 at 9:39 pm }

These kids are going to be scarred for life…..
No , no, no,not the Degustation Mummy , why can’t we just do a salad tonight? please, please, I promise Mummy, and by the way I”ve replaced all the wire coat hangers ….

11 AnonyMousse { 11.04.10 at 12:41 am }

Come on, they’re a bunch of competitive kids – some of them are going to cry when they lose, whether you heap pressure on them or not. Head off to watch the kids section of any competition (be it eisteddfods, swimming carnivals, or even star trek cosplay competitions) and you’ll see kids doing the same thing. Showing them cry on air’s just going to embarass the kid further and give any bullies at their school extra ammunition.

12 scruffnkelsmum { 11.04.10 at 12:49 am }

well, I guess if we want to stick to the line that it’s a competition- then the kid should not have got extra time so he could redo/finish/plate up- unfair advantage there….

see, where does it all start and end when you exploit kids for TV…..

13 smauge { 11.04.10 at 7:09 am }

On your last poin AM – I totally agree. I have no doubt that some of the kids would be target of bullies, mainly the overweight ones like Jack. Being on Junior Masterchef would be a huge self esteem booster, so lets not turn it against them.

14 anonymice { 11.09.10 at 5:30 pm }

Speaking of unfair advantages….Sunday’s episode. Sophia chooses the ingredient for the invention test…lobster…”i know Izzy also knows how to cook with lobster….” funnily enough she chose the pheasant!

15 Reality Raver { 11.09.10 at 7:01 pm }

Pollywaffle – they will probably be so jaded they needed valium to sleep when they heard El Bulli was closing as they had been promised to go there for their 18th birthday.

Anonymouse, Scruffandkelsmum, and smauge – I think it would have been a fantastic experience for all of them.

Anonymice – interesting as they gives credence to the criticism that the kids from the higher socio-economic families would do better in the competition. I don’t think I have ever cooked with lobster, nor crab for that matter. The latter because of lack of confidence.

16 Junior Masterchef - birthtalks { 11.16.10 at 5:14 pm }

[…] you to see what they want you to see. There is endless websites saying this and there is one here Junior Masterchef – Not All Unicorns And Fairy Floss After All | reality ravings […]

17 Mister Been There { 12.23.12 at 9:22 am }

Junior Masterchef as well as Masterchef are NOT competitions. There never has been a level playing field. What, with judges helping some contestants without helping all ? No. Challenges set up specifically to elicit drama? No. Those children are given recipes the day before. They stay in studio apartments with their parents and are allowed to practice their dishes before they film. They don’t pull these re opens out of their 12 yr old brains…. Trust me. It’s acting people. It’s a drama, and these production companies don’t risk loosing money on chance cooking moments. It’s unreal TV.