Beauty And The Geek – Season Two Has A Faux Geek As Well

Not even at week three of the second series of Beauty and the Geek and we have a this guy is not a geek scandal.

Geek Daniel Iachini has been shown to have form with the ladies.

Nine MSN reports (thanks Wurstsemmel) that Iachini is actually quite confident with women and has had several girlfriends in the past, including a long term relationship of 18 months.

This is not unlike last year when it was revealed geek Corin had a child and had long term relationships. (Blog about that saga here)

I understand Channel Seven for this series had a hard time recruiting geeks so this is why Daniel application may have got him on the show.

Theoretically you can be a geek and get laid, as the premise of the show that the girls show them how to be cool to maybe shag a better quality chick?  And the boys try and teach them how to count to 20 or something like that.

The article continues:

According to friends, Iachini is actually quite confident with women and has had several girlfriends in the past, including a long term relationship of 18 months.

Far from being an awkward geek, the 23-year-old is a regular on Adelaide’s nightclub scene, where he has helped friends with promoting club events.

An acquaintance of Iachini’s, who did not want to be named, said he was puzzled to see him as a contestant on Beauty and the Geek.

“Why is Daniel on that show? Since when did preppy G-Star clothes and a long beard make someone a geek?” he said.

“I’m all for people having fun and giving things a go but it’s not really fair and it obviously compromises the integrity of the show when for starters, the geeks aren’t really geeks.”

Iachini’s friend Stuart Duckworth, who handles promotions for the Electric Circus nightclub, said Iachini was a geek but not in the stereotypical sense.

“He’s a scientist who has been studying for years and he is really smart,” Mr Duckworth told ninemsn.

“But he’s not the type of geek who doesn’t know how to dress well.”

“I wouldn’t consider him to be a really geeky person and he definitely would be a lot less geeky than the other people in the house.”

Mr Duckworth said he was not surprised to hear that Iachini — who has been romantically pursuing personal shopper Kara Palmieri and on tomorrow’s night episode kisses twin Ellie in the spa — had been making advances towards the beauties in the house.

For me the most interesting part of this article was that it was revealed he had been on Channel Nine’s Millionaire’s Hot Seat and bailed out at the first question. I would love to know what the question was.

1 bee { 11.04.10 at 10:08 pm }

Goss is that the lawyer from UNSW (Marlon maybe??) has been spotted making out with many a girl at the uni bar recently.

More goss for you RR is that Matthew from last years Masterchef is back being an accountant at the same firm he was at before. Don’t know how he got around the awkward I hate accounting thing he was always reeling off on MC…

2 seepi { 11.04.10 at 10:37 pm }

I think Daniel is a geek, but just a sleazy one! I can’t believe he is only 23 – he looks about 35. I did notice his clothes were kind of interesting, but I don’t think they are working for him. Shave the beard, and get some jeans and things could be on the improve. and he seems very confused about life ‘showing your emotions always leads to getting hurt’ is his version of ‘telling every girl you mildly fancy that you are practically in love then getting it on with their friend the next night.’

Anyway – that god-awful photo of him brandishing the smoking test tube is punishment enough for pretending to be geekier than he is.

I can’t wait for the makeovers – the other bearded guy is my tip to be good looking. The wierd glasses, beard and long hair are his main issues – lose those and he’d be lovely. And he seems very sweet.

3 Reality Raver { 11.04.10 at 10:56 pm }

Bee – Yay – Go Marlon. Didn’t Matthew work at his father’s firm?

Seepi – Michael the math dude is my favourite.

4 Jeb { 11.04.10 at 10:59 pm }

I think heaps of people saw this coming a mile off. It was total corin 2.0 from the start with that dude.

Despite liking to watch the show myself, i think it’s kind of weird why anyone would go on it. That goes for both the real beauties/bimbos and geeks and the fake ones. Not sure what the prize is (for the girls it’s zoo mag I guess) but it’s really just a laugh at them kind of set up – nothing more.

5 bee { 11.04.10 at 11:02 pm }

RR.. nope he’s at a Big 4.

I really didn’t get the whole Kara being devestated & betrayed thing. It wasn’t like she was into him, not that I think the twin was either – those girls had the personality of a brick wall though.

6 Tamara { 11.04.10 at 11:31 pm }

Jeb, the prize is $100,000. $50k for the Geek and $50k for the Beauty.

7 Vic { 11.05.10 at 8:21 am }

Geek/Hipster totally blend into eachother and I can’t say that I am disappointed in there being a lack of candidates for the show.

It is definitely popcorn tv, but watching last night and the previews for next week I just wish it could be a bit more even. Both sides could use tips on conversation (dating and otherwise), both sides could use a make-over. I would love to see the “beauties” involved in a feminist discussion around the Beauty Myth and a breakdown of what their current beauty routines cost them in terms of time and money.

Oh, and I would love to see some non heterosexual beauties and geeks…I’m watching the wrong show aren’t I.

8 Culinary Boner { 11.05.10 at 9:31 am }

I think the definition of ‘geek’ being applied is too narrow. They should have used ‘nerd’ instead as this would broaden the stereotype from bookish, shy virgins who can’t even talk to girls, to others whose apalling social skills and anti-social habits mean most girls they encounter would run a million miles away. Think Booger from ‘Revenge of the Nerds’, rather than Poindexter. Or on a more contemporary footing, Joel Monaghan from the Canberra Raiders. The sort of guys who think personal hygiene extends to turning your undies inside out every three days and who’d arrive on set with three boxes of ribbed condoms. Extra large, of course. Addition of this type of nerd would add immensely to the in-house drama, cause severe melt-down of many of the bimbettes and greatly enhance my viewing pleasure.

9 Culinary Boner { 11.05.10 at 9:41 am }

In support of my previous email from ROTN1:-
[Lewis and Gilbert are discussing Gilbert’s girlfriend, innocently]
Booger: Big deal! Did you get in her pants?
Gibert: She’s not that kind of girl, Booger.
Booger: Why? Does she have a penis?

10 Anonymous { 11.05.10 at 12:32 pm }

Actually he answered three questions correctly and was the second to last contestant left. Ninemsn please get your facts right.

11 Jeb { 11.05.10 at 12:50 pm }

Haha – totally agree with Vic and Culinary Boner that new directions for the show would be great tv.

I’m just laughing at the thought of a booger type character who actually repulses the girls.

Another angle I reckon they could go with is having some dating expert teach the guys how to get chicks, but without transformation. And not do it all pc. Use the daniel example – show them that a chick who has shown no interest at all in you at all and is way out of your league will turn into a sobbing, jealous mess once you’re not interested in her.

12 Vic { 11.05.10 at 1:18 pm }

Jeb – that is essentially what the “seduction community” is about – check out The Pick-Up Artist.

13 seepi { 11.05.10 at 2:10 pm }

Actually I couldn’t work out why Kara was so upset either.
I also wasn’t sure why Kara was so upset about he speech voice traiing he tried to give her.
A wee bit highly strung methinks.

And on the twins….not a lot going on there.

14 reality raver { 11.05.10 at 2:11 pm }

Vic – I think wat you are suggesting is another reality TV show entirely, but one I would definitely watch it. I think these girls think their looks are going get them somewhere but do they really want to be retail consultants for their whole life.

I do think Tamika should get her own reality show.

Jeb – maybe they go on the show for something different. I do think the challenges do look kind of fun.

Bee – maybe 50% of the Big 4 employees feel that way so not unusual that they would want to change jobs.

CB – they might have a bigger pool of people to pick from if they expanded the definition.

Anon – thanks for that.

15 Sourkraut { 11.07.10 at 9:31 pm }

TOLD YA SO!

16 john { 11.08.10 at 12:04 am }

I used to work with daniel and this is just a great example of bull crap deceptive television. He is NOTHING like they have made him up to be. He doesn’t wear glasses, he certainly doesn’t wear clothes like the ridiculous ones he wears on tv, no beard and the list goes on. He’s cocky arrogant and is more like a rude jock than a geek. But no guessing what they’ll do next. Amongst the fake tears, Shave the beard take off the glasses cut the hair. Turn off, go outside another load of lies!!!

17 davo { 11.14.10 at 11:19 am }

Daniel worked promo for a prominent adelaide nightclub, geeky, i think not.

18 Anonymous { 11.25.10 at 11:01 pm }

Poor Tim. I think his confidence grew less being partnered up with kara