Iron Chef Australia – Guy Grossi Flogged By Herb Faust

Iron Chef Guy Grossi was beaten tonight by challenger Herb Faust. Was I surprised? No, as Channel Seven had decided to tell us the result of the show in the preview after last weeks episode.  Why was that?

Herb Faust is the chef at Scotch College at Perth, which I suspect because of his win will increase the waiting list for the boarding school, conversely it could also open the debate about the Government funding formula for non-government schools, if the quality of the ingredients he was cooking with was anything to go by.

Another irritation was the gasping about Herb making a lamb tartare and how unusual it was, however raw lamb is pretty standard in Lebanese cuisine. I call it kebbe but @simonthomsen kindly corrected me by telling me it is kibbeh nayah. That is why he is a world renowned food critic, and I am plankton on the blogging food chain.

Anyway kibbeh nayah is delicious if you ever get to try it and it is pretty standard at Lebanese restaurants in Sydney.

Maybe Guy Grossi lost because the judges kept on seeing all the blood going into his food as he kept cutting himself. Either he was drinking too much wine during the show or it has been a good decade since he has had to do the prep of his food.

The other thing is it de rigeur if you are a foodie to gush over offal? Personally I cannot stomach it, I once threw up part of pigs ear in a two hat restaurant after I realised what I was eating. For the record I did make it to the toilets.

Guy Grossi cooked:

• Smoked Lamb Carpaccio – with the smoke coming with the lamb – Simon Thomsen said he “thinks of carpaccio as thinly sliced”.
  • Lambs Brains with Bresola Salad – Leo Schofield  said “possibly the best brains I have ever had”.
  • Spiced Lamb Ragu – Larissa Dubecki got a iron Chef hair in hers (yes that was a negative thing), and Simon thought the meat was too tough.
  • Costolette D’Agnello – lamb cutlet wrapped in pork caul fat- “you have captured spring” said Simon.

Herb Faust cooked:

• Lamb Tartare With Sheeps Milk Bavoir – the presentation was sensational, and Leo thought it was “delightful”.
  • Rosemary Skewered lamb sandwich – “You have taken a great kebab and made it fantastic” said Larissa
  • Sticky braised lamb roll which was an upmarket chiko roll. Something all of this years Masterchef contestants would have wished they had don on the chiko roll challenge. “Beautiful” said Larissa.
  • Vine leaf Roast –  “seen a sense of fun, sense of whimsy, and exhuberance.” said Simon Thomsen.

Anyway Herb Faust flogged Guy Grossi 44/60 and 50/60 picking up the point in taste, and in originality. Well done Herb, and Guy’s sous chef are probably going to get sacked for being beaten by a chef from a boarding school.

1 AnonyMousse { 11.10.10 at 1:26 am }

Loved how poor Grant was doing the everyman commentary of ‘Gee, I wonder what brains taste like’, only to have the Iron Chef promptly offer him a piece. The poor guy would have had no choice but to eat it – backing down wouldn’t have looked good as the host. Still, even though I interpreted his face as him not liking it he did take a second bite before the camera went off him…

2 wallah { 11.10.10 at 4:25 am }

I recall the food at boarding school not being very good at all. And the reason I was at said school? My dad was working in yet another “exotic” destination. Syria. Great country, great people. Kibbeh nayah was on Food Safari the other week, my girlfriend had to ask if I ever ate it when I lived there, the answer being a resounding no. Having had dysentery, I avoided meat and dairy till I got to boarding school so I could eat bland tasteless crap. Shwarma being the exception. A big big exception.

3 dmc { 11.10.10 at 7:45 am }

So suspense is no longer a key ingredient on reality television (see Masterchef, The Block and now Iron Chef). I deliberately didn’t watch it last night as I was already ‘told’ who had won.

4 Culinary Boner { 11.10.10 at 9:34 am }

Raver, do I detect that you have the same bogan aversion to offal that afflicts most Aussie anglo-celts? Cultures that have real cuisines enjoy this stuff immensely and it generally tastes good because they know how to prepare it properly. The stand-out exception I’ve encountered being Cantonese style pigs intestines which are presented in a way that makes them look like a plate full of anus and, yep, they taste pretty much as they look. Oh, the other exception being anglo-style boiled-to-buggery tripe with milk sauce and that curly English-style parsley that has no flavour. Now that’s a recipe worthy of all elite boarding schools.

This episode provided a possible role for Grant Denyer as taster of meals in preparation. They need to ensure he gets lots of gross under prepared stuff, so he can mug to camera with that i’m-a-dickhead look he’s perfected to a tee. Grossi seemed to be cutting his knuckles which is a bit odd when you consider that experienced chefs use this method to keep their fingers out of the way. Does he need new glasses to replace his current Elton John/Dame Edna novelty set?

5 Culinary Boner { 11.10.10 at 9:53 am }

Oh..on a positive note, for a change, and despite the fact that this show is pretty crappy, the Faustian Herbalist’s food looked really interesting and deserved to beat Grossi’s more trad food.

6 Reality Raver { 11.10.10 at 1:43 pm }

Anonymouse – That was one of the more amusing parts of the show. I am still not sure why he is there and getting so much TV time.

Wallah – Syria is a beautiful country, but have to be honest I am not sure I would have tried kibbeh nayah there, though other food was good. Where else did you get to live growing up?

DMC – yes it was perplexing that spoiler

Culinary Boner – the reason I say this is that over the years I have found gourmands always become rapturous when they discuss offal and become quite condescending that it is not to your taste, and that you just don’t get it. But then don’t seem to find it ok not to like strawberries or other such things.

Leo, Larissa and Simon fell upon the brains like it was a plate of rare truffles.

7 seepi { 11.10.10 at 1:51 pm }

I also didn’t watch as we already knew who would win. Good on the boarding school chef though. did the chefs apply for this, or get tapped on the shoulder to appear.

I don’t like offal either. Brains just look wrong.

8 Culinary Boner { 11.10.10 at 3:01 pm }

“Brains just look wrong.” Seepi, not as wrong as Joel Monaghan’s impersonisation of a “braniac”.

Raver, we are going to continue to disagree on the offal question. But I guess I’m in the minority here as A Current Affair virtually every second year runs a story that shows a hard-up Aussie pensioner who’d rather eat dogfood on toast then sauted lamb’s kidneys on toast – ca. $5 per kilo fresh – fried lamb’s liver – ca. 3 bucks a liver – or sauted chicken livers (lovely with pasta in a cream sauce) – ca. $3-4 a kilo – ” ’cause that’s all me flipping pension gives me, bloody government!”

This isn’t food snobbery, it’s just commonsense home economics (if I can use that old-fashioned expression). Dogfood on the other hand would contain the offal, other carcass bits (usually stripped out by chemical processes) and culled wildlife not good enough to be displayed at the butcher’s or turned into beef patties or nuggets for fast-food franchises. Guess everyone who can’t stomach the fact that offal is cheap and can be nutritous and tasty is the loser here.

Granted, though, the dogfood eating pensioner profiled by ACA is usually either retarded or an attention-seeking bullshit artist.

9 Izobel2 { 11.10.10 at 4:08 pm }

Hey Boner couldn’t agree with you more about the ACA dogfood eater! You crack me up. I saw one once where some old duck couldn’t afford normal human food but was filmed eating “Dine”!!!!
As for the offal, I grew up on my German butcher father’s cooking, which contained pickled heart, ox’s tongue, chicken soup with the heart/stomach/livers, pigs & ox’s tails, raw mince meat. Still love all of it bar the ox’s tongue. And thanks for the laugh about Grossi cutting his fingers up due to his Dame Edna frames! Ha!

10 wallah { 11.10.10 at 4:18 pm }

Raver-USA, Syria, and school in the UK. However, the old man would be in some nice little locale looking for oil where we’d go and visit, wars permitting. I did actually eat a lot of the local stuff in Syria, got sick regularly, but it was worth it. It’s hard to turn down someone dirt poor insisting you a meal that they really should be eating themselves. A trip to the meat souk in Damascus really put me off meat for a long long time, open air slaughterhouses will do that! I still pine for decent Arabic food, too bad so many places bland it down, especially in Qld. Found a place in Southport called Baytuti, but he took his charcoal chicken off the menu and turned his shwarma into Sandwich Press kebabs for the locals. Dammit.

11 Reality Raver { 11.10.10 at 4:29 pm }

Wallah – Saw a sheep slaughtered there. Amazingly generous people in that country. Wow seems you had an interesting childhood.

Culinary Boner & Izobel2 – ACA never get a mental health assessment on the pet food eaters.

12 Culinary Boner { 11.10.10 at 5:22 pm }

Izobel2, sounds like your dad knew a thing or two about good European cooking. The only thing I draw a line at in terms of Euro-offal cuisine is pigs trotters in aspic – too gelatinous for me.

13 brain dead dave { 11.11.10 at 8:08 am }

I had a cousin who used to eat Whiskas straight out of the tin.

14 sourkraut { 11.12.10 at 1:58 pm }

Guy who?

15 moriarty { 11.14.10 at 12:24 am }

I was at the taping for this one – and what you didn’t see was Denyer off camera frantically spitting the brains out into a bucket. He thought they were disgusting!

16 Etuko Sato { 11.14.10 at 12:38 pm }

Hello.

It is a very good site.

The mind is really healed.

My site is a site of the herb.

Please come by all means.

Thank you.

17 sourkraut { 11.15.10 at 1:06 pm }

raver
Any Lebanese food is normally delicious. That’s why I got so annoyed with master-hah-chef for tossing Joanne out so early based on her edited personality

18 Anna { 11.17.10 at 9:23 pm }

Oh my god!! Why is Grant Denyer hosting Iron Chef Australia? That guy is over exposed on channel 7. I am sick of them cramming him down viewers throats! And to top it off, he has stolen the chairman’s right to announce the winner at the end of each episode! Get rid of him!!

19 Mel { 03.11.11 at 10:25 pm }

Wallah,
The place in southport Baytuti Where the chef/owner took the charcoal chickens off the menu was due to no sales of the chickens and all the hard effort and chicken going to waste, people come in see $15-$20 for a chicken and walk across the road for an $8 one from woolies but unless they tried them they just couldnt understand how much better the charcoal chicken tasted, personally myself after eating charcoal chickens from there any other chicken just isnt the same. But as for the shawarma wraps they were on the menu from day one but you can also still get a shawarma plate with rice you should come try our food again.

20 web page { 02.11.13 at 12:30 am }

21 webpage { 02.11.13 at 12:39 am }

22 website { 02.11.13 at 7:48 am }

23 site { 02.12.13 at 4:07 am }

24 elite strip poker online { 07.24.13 at 1:55 am }

As it is spieled by bet and out-and-out poker
is merely the like. elite lock poker On That Point
are keeps company that chit and license online out whether the land site you are representing at is rigged or not.

25 uk beauties -raspberry ketone { 08.04.13 at 3:30 am }

With the addendum, you will not just mislay all your redundant raising the pace at which they are combusted in the body but besides forbidding their
absorption into the body. raspberry ketone scam raspberry ketoness: fetching
this postscript will in Some of the Welfares of Raspberry