The X Factor – The Night Of the Poor Song Choice

Tonight the theme of the show was number one hits, but gee they could have called it lamest songs ever, as some of the song choices were appalling. At one stages I thought it was ’80’s night as that is where mainly the song came from.

It was two songs for each contestant and the top three were going through to the grand final next week.

Andrew Lawson – Uptown Girl – Billy Joel

Well Andrew takes the prize for singing the cheesiest songs on the show. Tonight he sang Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl, and previously Elton John’s Crocodile Rock. He did a shocking rendition.

Ronan said he looked way too uncomfortable “way too late for that happen in the competition” and “lacklustre”.

Guy Sebastian said “it looks like you didn’t even care.”

Maybe Andrew needs Kyle to get sick again so he can get a new mentor. Also Kyle Sandiland’s in his delusional state said it was good.

Andrew knew he had tanked.

Mahogany Β Heaven Bryan Adams

The set designer’s vision of heaven must be that there is lots of candles, thankfully no Angels came out as backing dancers, as that would have been too much.

The lead singer’s vocals were pitchy in a ok performance of a boring song.

Ronan thought they started off shaky but thought the harmonies were great.

Natalie thought it was a good perfomance but not a good song choice.

Kyle was feeling the love tonight and loved the performance.

Sally Chatfield – Just Take A Little Pill – Pink

Ronan, Guy and Natalie gave Sally a standing ovation. Guy said it was his favourite performance of hers of the competition. I liked it but I don’t think it was my favourite.

Altiyan Childs – The Living Years – Mike and The Mechanics

This is a shocking song. Natalie and Guy didn’t like the ballad Β for him.

Kyle Sandiland said “you are a constant brilliant performer” but did not like him singing soft rock.

Andrew Lawson – Something Stupid – Frank Sinatra

Oh God this song was another ball of cheese, but it appears I am in the minority as the judges loved it.

Mahogany – The Way You Make Me Feel – Michael Jackson

The rendition was excellent, but I don’t agree with Ronan, I don’t think they are a threat for the competition. However Kyle thinks they are in danger of going. He has to say that as he knows if they stay Andrew who he mentors will be going.

Sally Chatfield – Beautiful – Christine Aguillera

I think for reality TV fans will compare her rendition to Jessical Mauboy’s on Australian Idol. And I think Jessica’s was better.

Ronan and Guy were a bit ho hum about it, but Kyle and Natalie loved it. I think I was expecting a moment and it did not occur.

Altiyan Childs – Blaze Of Glory – Jon Bon Jovi

Another Jon Bon Jovi song of the competition. It was predictable Altiyan, crazy dance moves, shamen like facial expressions, but good vocals and fun performance.

Will he be in the grand final next week? I think so.

My predictions for the top three are Sally Chatfield, Altiyan Childs, and Andrew Lawson.

1 brain dead dave { 11.14.10 at 10:31 pm }

With Altiyan tonight it was more like Bong Jovi….he went down in a haze of bong smoke…

2 Kaylen { 11.14.10 at 11:46 pm }

RR- I agree with everything you said and thought about the performers. I don’t think you’re in a minority at all with your opinions. In fact I rather think the judges inhaled too much of what Altiyan was puffin’. πŸ˜‰

At this stage of the competition, though? Should be a lot better.

I love Sally to death and think she will go places, but even with her I feel that there’s still a barrier between her 100% and that 110% the show is after.

I feel Altiyan is overrated, though – he’s good, yes. But…. eh. He and Sally are top two for sure.

Those other two hanger-ons that are still around… why? Got nothing to say about them, ’cause as they say: if you got nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all. πŸ˜‰

hmm. Saw a number of previous contestants in the audience, though.

3 kenobi { 11.15.10 at 5:31 am }

First of all, Livin’ on a Prayer is a Bon Jovi (band) song; Blaze of Glory is a Jon Bon Jovi solo song. So Altiyan did not actually cover the same artist twice in the space of 5 weeks…. Just sayin’. πŸ˜›

Secondly, it’s no secret I’m Team Altiyan but I actually still think Sally will win.

@Kaylen: The other finalists have been back in town rehearsing for the finale if I’m not mistaken.

4 Panda { 11.15.10 at 8:43 am }

Non of the contestants seem ready for a recording contract. I’ve been watching a few clips on YouTube. Gave up on the show because I couldn’t stand that strange shot of whatever judge’s contestant was singing. You know the one where they always zoom in on them bopping along in their seat when no one else is?
I think the concept of the judges/mentors competing against each other is actually not good for the contestants. There is a lack of consistent coaching and the judges egos just get in the way.

5 reality raver { 11.15.10 at 9:55 am }

BDD – hilarious. I have to confess I am still not convinced about the carefully worded drug article Altiyan gave. Not that I really care, christ everyone gets into their ’30s with some murky things in their past.

Kaylen – Agree it is between Sally and Altiyan, I am surprised he went as far as he did, but did show after a couple of weeks he was the stand out performer. I think Sally is the only one for a potential long term career. Altiyan should get the gig as the lead singer on INXS he would rock that.

Panda – I think there are pros and cons of the mentor/judge. I think they actually do get more tutoring tips etc then they do on Australian Idol. However agree it just means one of the judges is always positive about a sub-par performance. Like Kyle was last night about Andrew’s Uptown Girl performance.

Kenobi- Point taken. LOL. I won’t go on the Einstein Factor with Jon Bon Jovi play list as my specialist subject.

But I would like to know who the ex is.

6 Lea { 11.15.10 at 10:28 am }

I agree Sally will probably (and deservingly win) and Altiyan should lead a band like INXS, which will bring some balance to his personality b/c his performances are always really great.

Andrew should go b/c his performance and song choices were boring, but I think it’ll be down to him and Mahogany and he’s probably got a bigger following among the voting set.

I started off the series liking Natalie I. (positivity still vibing from her Torn days) but I’m really slowly being turned off by her. She can dish out criticism to all the other contestants but can’t take any for her own. Her look of cold disdain at Ronan last night when he (very rightly) said Beautiful wasn’t Sally’s best vocals was classic!

Gotta wonder how much channel 7 is making or losing over this series because the sets are so elaborate.

7 Izobel2 { 11.15.10 at 1:33 pm }

When Andrew started singing Uptown Girl I thought they must’ve had Young Talent Time back on TV.

8 Mel { 11.15.10 at 1:57 pm }

I think I said it a couple of weeks ago, but I just feel that Altiyan without the benefit of singing hugely popular and well-known songs will look like a try-hard and a shadow of his current self. Once he starts singing unknown songs (unless they’re real crackers) and ballads I think people will go off him very quickly. Also I think his ‘kookamalooka’ schtick he’s got going on will get a bit tired after a while.

And basically, I just can’t get past the idea that a genuine, ‘real rocker’ (in the traditional vein) could emerge from a show like this. ‘Real rockers’ in the real world must be laughing.

I loved Sally in the first song last night but had to agree with the judges that she looked terrible in the 2nd song. Sung great, but man, those clothes DID NOT look like they even remotely belonged to her and the over-the-top makeup was hideous. She looked young and spunky in the first song but by the 2nd song she looked like a contestant from some daggy talent show circa 1985.

Andrew Lawson must have an enormous voting block behind him because I can’t believe such a lifeless ‘entertainer’ could have come quite this far.

And Mahogany – meh. Seems hard to really care about them.

9 bella vita { 11.15.10 at 3:00 pm }

Mahogany need to go…so friggin boring..I mean seriously..there is no hope in hell they will sell records, not here, not the US..perhaps their church?

Andrew who I have nicknamed NO NECK looks like he thinks Kyle is a wanker and the whole comp is below him…no where deserving to be in the Top 10 or in fact the entire comp…pleasant voice yes, star quality no and way too inconsistent.

Sally seems like a lovely girl…good voice for her age, but lacking the toughness needed to be a true solo artist

Altiyan should win for the fact alone that he is the only one with the X Factor…you may love or hate him, but he has succeeded in getting australia talking, makes good press copy and does have that special something on stage. Half the time you dont know whether to laugh, cringe or cry when watching him perform.

10 bella vita { 11.15.10 at 3:04 pm }

oh and by the way…don’t think that the entire show and the way they want it played out isnt already decided by the producers from the onset of the shows auditions.

I know first hand that they block votes for certain contestants so that they do/dont register in the official count. They have decided since the audition stage who they want in Top 12, Top 6, Top 4 and Top 2..
This production team is idential to Idol in every way and they did the same with Idol votes in all seasons.

11 brain dead dave { 11.15.10 at 8:29 pm }

I don’t mind some proof-otherwise it’s all bulla vita to me.

12 scruffnkelsmum { 11.15.10 at 8:33 pm }

bella vita- pretty strong assertion to make!! based on what evidence?

13 Reality Raver { 11.15.10 at 8:59 pm }

Well if they rigged it to get Mitchell Smith out I would be happy with that.

14 bella vita { 11.15.10 at 9:23 pm }

I cant give you proof, you will have to take my word as I have been on this forum for a couple of years now and any relevant comments I do make are from a point of view where I do have access to information via production companies and past contestants on shows across all genres. I rarely get time to post much these days, but if i feel I can share something I think people will find interesting I will….after all, we all have one thing in common here: We love this blog, and we love TV

15 brain dead dave { 11.15.10 at 9:47 pm }

I don’t have to take your word when your position has moved from “I know first hand ” to now having “access to information via production companies and past contestants etc”.

Hard to know if that’s first hand,second hand or sleight of hand.

16 Reality Raver { 11.15.10 at 9:56 pm }

Brain Dead Dave – Bella Vita has given the blog some pretty good gossip over the years.

17 bella vita { 11.15.10 at 10:21 pm }

BDD: not meant to be a fight with you…you can choose to take my posts however you like them (and i loved the bulla vita comment!) All i will say is first hand and second hand on different shows over the years.

18 brain dead dave { 11.15.10 at 11:15 pm }

I’m sorry if I was harsh ,bella vita. I agree with you that the producers control who and what happens on these
shows. I believe that and have seen Fremantle Media only get better at it over the years.

The vote blocking …please say it ain’t so. It would have to involve the connivance a a phone company,or would it? Does the phone voter lose their 55 cents and then their vote get trashed? Since people can bet on this stuff too,it all gets rather murky.

Having attempted to vote on Big Brother grand finals,I have experienced being blocked but attributed this to the phones being overloaded.

19 bella vita { 11.16.10 at 1:10 am }

During the audition stages of the competition, the producers mark on sheets who they want at different stages, the mentors, judges, dance and vocal coaches etc are also told
Ask any contestant from any past reality show and they’ll also tell you that they knew who the fav was or who was a shoo in.

A few examples for you
Casey Donovan being of aboriginal descent (sympathy vote), they knew Anthony would sell records so they got the best of both (initial winners back then did make money for record companies)
Guy and Shannon likewise were both big money spinners for the network and record companies.
Jess Mauboy always had overseas interest and they knew Damian Leith would be popular with the grey rinse set.
They expected massive things for Wes Carr (he was previously involved with the Silverchair boys) but got it SO wrong there. Their biggest mistakes were both Kate DeAraugo (who somehow got the whole of her home town voting and they got the system flooded) and Natalie Gauci. Neither was expected to win nor get to the Top 2.
Back in the Popstars era, Season 1 with Bardot in particular..this was a massive money spinner for the companies involved. The controversy with Chantelle Barry was true and correct..she was busted stealing from both Katie and Sophie and “removed” so it looked like she wanted to leave. They didnt want the brand or album sales tarnished by parents seeing this sort of example for their kids.
Amity from The Block Season 1 was purely chosen on the belief they would make money from her 1st album and single (they did and they got dollars from her deal with Universal)

When it comes times for voting, I think they used to make certain exchanges from people’s home areas are made limited conveniently, quite a shifty thing to do. They have also been known to only take a % of votes from any contestants home areas, something to do with population demographic per capita per person..and in the fine print of contracts there is some strange wording about it all. Also if your vote is registered at a certain time of the day, the votes are not counted or logged within the system (something like “we have no control if the system crashes or votes are not counted)

20 Reality Raver { 11.16.10 at 4:23 pm }

Bella Vita – Oh I would give my left arm to see a contract. The Survivor contracts are really harsh. Also my understanding the Masterchef ones were full on about the amount of profits the company would get from earnings of the contestants after the show.

21 bella vita { 11.16.10 at 7:10 pm }

Let me see if I can rake up an old contract for you….but no way to post it on here?

22 Reality Raver { 11.16.10 at 10:12 pm }

Bella vita – won’t post the contract on the blog, but just would be interested to see how hard they squeeze, and how conscionable it is.

23 Meg { 11.30.10 at 3:41 pm }

I can believe that producers can manipulate the results by influencing judges etc but it’s harder to believe that public votes can be deliberately ‘blocked’ to favour one contestant over another. That sounds illegal to me. If it isn’t, it should be. It’s fraud.