Iron Chef Australia – Unfortunately The Chances Of Getting Renewed A Zero
So Grant Denyer wasn’t allowed to help challenger Sascha Meier shake a fry pan when he had badly cut his finger, but he can bump out the first aid nurse out to try and put a bandaid on him. Personally I would have found Grant plating up squid dishes much more amusing. I am surprised he knew what it was considering it was not round or crumbed.
Last week Iron Chef dived in the ratings to below one million, and the silence has been deafening on whether Channel Seven will be renewing it. It is a pity as it could/should have been a winner.
Five things I would do to fix it:
- Get rid of Grant Denyer, expand the Chairman’s and Richard Cornish’s role to cover whatever the host is meant to do;
- Get better challenges, again tonight Sascha Meier was completely out of his league;
- Get rid of the audience they are superfluous;
- Allow there to be more banter between the judges or show it;
- Mix up a person to sit with chat with Richard Cornish each week either a food expert or just someone interesting.
The positives about the show is that they do show a lot of the cooking, and the cast is fairly strong. Also the Iron Chefs are fantastic cooks.
Tonight Neil Perry showed just how good he can cook. His ingredient combinations were mouthwatering. Whereas his competitor from Ba Ba Lu in Victoria seemed to stick to his tried and true recipes.
Neil Perry served up:
- Raw Squid, iberco ham, and parsnip salad and black bean custard – “Very few Australian chefs would have the chutzpah to serve this dish” said Leo Schofield. “Incredibly clever” said Simon Thomsen. Larissa said it looks like a children’s fairy tale, I am not sure which ones she has been reading.
- Salad of confit squid with asian chicken “Liked textures” said Larissa, Simon implied it had too much chilli.
- Squid Ink Noodles – “Very sexy dish” said Simon.
- Braised squid stuffed with octopus – ” Wonderful flavour” said Leo
- Octopus and squid paella with black squid ink “beautiful paella” said Leo. Loved the crust but lacking the fully developed flavour.
- Peruvian style ceviche – “So pretty” said Larissa. “Lightness that is a wonderful contrast to the other dishes.
- Pork and squid meatballs – “reminded me of nappy time” said Simon. “Larissa thought the squid flavour faded to the back ground
- Char Grilled Octopus – “sex on a plate” said Larissa and she did look like she was getting a buzz.
Neil easily won scoring 49 out of 60 and Meier 40 out of 60 his dishes were not that original nor looked as beautiful on the plate.
Next Iron Chef French gets his second go in the kitchen stadium. It is the final episode, and I doubt we will see anymore.