The Block – Only Three Of The Apartments Sold

The downside of the internet for Channel 9 is that some of the information from the auction of The Block apartments has leaked out.

The Canberra Times reports:

THE erratic nature of Sydney’s property market was evident when just three of the four units in the Channel Nine renovation series The Block sold under the auction hammer last night.

Only one of the Vaucluse units sold above their $1 million cost.

The most expensive apartment fetched $1.1 million. The cheapest was passed in at $865,000. Viewers will not know who has won the $100,000 prize until tonight, when the reserve prices for the units are revealed.

All four contestant couples are entitled to pocket any difference between their sale price and the reserve. Neisha and John were in the box seat to take the prize.

In early pre-auction marketing, potential buyers were advised the apartments would fetch more than $900,000. But the price estimate was adjusted to about $900,000 for some units when spring property market conditions tightened and auction clearance rates fell.

The invitation-only auction was held under tight security at Vaucluse House.

Channel Nine’s New South Head Road block was bought for $3.4 million with vendor finance this year, with $160,000 in stamp duty. It underwent a quick update before the contestants had 52 days and $80,000 to renovate their apartments.

There were weekly prizes which increased the renovation outlay on the apartments.

John and Neisha in apartment one spent $95,000. Mark and Duncan, the two tradies in apartment two, spent $90,000. Erin and Jake spent $94,853 in apartment three, which has the block’s highest strata fee. Cheryl and Brenton in apartment four spent $89,974. Another $100,000 was spent on improving common areas.

1 MelbaToast { 11.24.10 at 10:44 am }

I wonder why Erin and Jake have the highest strata fee – should that be John and Neisha who have the big (and only) courtyard?

So, if someone’s apartment sells for less than the reserve do the contestants have to pay the difference? That would be fun to see.

2 Culinary Boner { 11.24.10 at 10:48 am }

“if someone’s apartment sells for less than the reserve do the contestants have to pay the difference?”

MelbaToast, they will probably instead be made to volunteer the equivalent in labour for one of Scott Cam’s upcoming, lame Backyard Blitz reprisals.

3 Kate { 11.24.10 at 10:51 am }

I was having a look around online last night and noticed that the Tradies unit was listed as SOLD. This was then removed??

4 SteveMolk { 11.24.10 at 10:55 am }

There is nothing like a great twist to deliver a brilliant ending to a reality TV season…

5 seepi { 11.24.10 at 11:04 am }

Is Erin and Jake’s bigger? Or is it the tiny bit of sea view?

Neisha has a courtyard and the tradies have a garage?

It is a shame, as this will probably mean no more The Block series.

Perhaps next time they should forget trendy suburbs, and go for real estate out in the burbs and update a truly awful 60s apartment block or something. That might actually make money.

6 Kate { 11.24.10 at 11:08 am }

I’m pretty sure that there is going to be another series – was announced in Sept with Scott continuing on as host.

7 Kate { 11.24.10 at 1:35 pm }

Are we allowed to post spoilers on here?? I’ve been doing some digging :-)

8 Paula { 11.24.10 at 2:53 pm }

I want the spoiler :-)

9 brain dead dave { 11.24.10 at 3:10 pm }

Scotty Cam must have been working harder than a blue ar$ed fly on Sunday mornings putting in free pergolas for the boss cockies at Nine to get the gig again.

10 Anna { 11.24.10 at 3:38 pm }

Spoiler Please!

11 Kathy { 11.24.10 at 3:50 pm }

Spoiler please !

12 Bstar { 11.24.10 at 4:14 pm }

Yep bring it on… Spoilers!!!

13 brain dead dave { 11.24.10 at 4:40 pm }

Scott Cam thinks a spoiler is something that goes on the front of his ute.

14 Kate { 11.24.10 at 5:20 pm }

Sorry guys – okay this is what I found on fb. Apparently it was John and Neishas’s place that went for over $1mil, the tradies sold for $907. Not sure whose place didn’t sell. Because we don’t know the reserve, can’t say who won. Hope it wasn’t Erin and Jake – wasn’t impressed with them at all. Can’t wait to see the show!!!

15 Kate { 11.24.10 at 5:23 pm }

I do hope that information is correct. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were John and Neisha who got the big money. I think they went about it the right way – blank canvas and all. And I did see on the listing for the Tradies last night that it had sold, so I’m not doubtful at all about that. I guess all will be reveiled soon :-)

16 nittywitty { 11.24.10 at 5:57 pm }

The whole thing is unfair. Firstly they need 4 townhouses in a row in a block of 6 with noone having a favoured ”end” apartment.They will all have upstairs and downstairs and therefore all priced the same. Forget about the weekly prizes as well. A weekly before and after as in other reno shows. Then there is an even playing field. There is plenty of competition anyway at the end with the auction and major prize.After the auction the 2 unrenovated units can go on sale. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of buyers. And it’ll be interesting to see what they go for eventually.

17 Angel86 { 11.24.10 at 9:02 pm }

Why did the place that didn’t make reserve do so badly? Now that we know who it was. I didn’t think theirs was any worse than some of the others.

18 akris { 11.24.10 at 9:33 pm }

If i was the buyer for John and Neisha’s I would feel so ripped off… felt so bad for Chez and Brenton though.. even if i found her annoying.. I’m glad that John and Neisha won.. BUT the imbalance was a bit unfair i think, although same rules for everyone.. I guess it just goes to show how crazy and unpredictable real estate is..

19 Pinto { 11.24.10 at 9:37 pm }

2 Questions: Why no recap of Jake and Erin’s time on the block and why was Chez not wearing her engagement rung to either open inspection or the auction ?

Felt sorry for Chez and Brenton not making any $$ but thought they were genuinely happy for Neisha and John. Still don’t think it was the edit that portrayed Jake and Erin as less endearing. Still wasn’t feeling them tonight.

20 Bstar { 11.24.10 at 10:26 pm }

Will we find out if Chezza and Brentons place
sold after the auction? And if it does do they
still get the profit? Felt sorry for them tonight.
I loved Chez, thought she was funny and genuine.

21 june healy { 11.24.10 at 10:44 pm }

was so disappointed i think the auctioneer was not very good starting the bidding too low so it had no hope of reaching a reasonable price

22 seepi { 11.24.10 at 10:52 pm }

Such a shame. I agree Scott Cam needed to at least try to say something.

I also think the whole ‘valuing’ the apartments before hte auction was wierd. Does that mean whoever does the best reno job gets valued higher and has to make more money over the higher reserve?? Or did they value them prior to doing any work on them?

I wonder why that kid whose dad was buying one didn’t just buy Brenton and Chez’s. At the end of the day they were all the same apartment, with different brown, black or white furnishings.

Next time they should not dictate for them the exact layout their new house has to have (all had to change the kitchen into the main bedroom and knock in an ensuite). It should be up to them to re-do the interior, or not.

And next time they should set the reserves a bit lower. they should have learnt this from the second series of the block where one sold at reserve (to a producer or someone.)

23 Reality Raver { 11.24.10 at 10:56 pm }

Kate – your spoiler was right

Nittywitty – I don’t think it would be very interesting if they didn’t have a weekly prize.

Melba Toast – Erin and Jakes must be the biggest.

Seepi – Agree or have it in Melb or Syd. Actually the apartment block opposite me has four apartments and could well do with a major refurb.

Brain Dead Dave – I need your thoughts on Scott Cam’s woefulness with Brenton and Chez when their apartment didn’t sell.

Angel86 – Maybe it was the front apartment on the main road. But it had nothing extra.

Akris – Neisha and John’s was the only garden apartment.

Pinto – I thought their was a recap of Erin and Jake’s, and well spotted on the ring…

Bstar – I presume so it will be in the media. Also so they should get to keep the money over reserve.

24 akris { 11.24.10 at 11:14 pm }

RR: Yeah but that’s why I agree with nittywitty’s suggestions of the actual apartments starting on a more even footing. I also think that John and Neisha’s garden would’ve meant that they should’ve started off at a higher reserve.. i know that Erin and Jake’s had harbour views.. but I don’t think it would’ve given it a higher reserve price than having a big courtyard??… or is it because more money has gone into it because of the weekly prizes???

Seepi: I love your idea about not dictating the layout.. there are some things they should be able to try and figure out themselves.

Me thinks morello’s excessive sweating didn’t help with adding appeal.. i know i know.. totally irrelevant…. but still……

25 seepi { 11.24.10 at 11:30 pm }

I noticed the sweating too!

I guess several potential buyers were already out, having bought already.

Surely they would have sold Chez and Brenton’s by now (after auction), or else all buyers now know what the reserve was. Although perhaps the publicity will help them fined a real buyer.

I did finally appreciate the down home appeal of the hairy guys, when they looked after Brenton straight after the result. I actually thought Jon getting in on the act probably did not help, seeing as he had just made 200 thou.

26 Jules { 11.25.10 at 12:48 pm }

I wonder if Chez and Brentons didn’t get to the reserve because the bathroom – though gorgeous – wasn’t so versatile. There was no bath and it had one of those crazy shallow sinks that barely holds a puddle. A 3 bedroom place needs to be more family friendly than that.

27 Annon { 11.25.10 at 8:54 pm }

Pinto- Chez wasn’t wearing her ring at the open for inspections as the episode of her getting engaged hadn’t aired by then.

I don’t understand why they didn’t do the auction live. Clearly the results were leaked. So why not hold it live?

28 nittywitty { 11.25.10 at 10:15 pm }

After reading the comments it has occurred to me that maybe in the next series they could just put all the units up for sale. Of course the ratings will be lower so that won’t happen but I’m thinking of the contestants as I think that might be fairer for them. They could do a weekly episode of the opens and people’s comments . This could go on for a few weeks until hopefully they’re all sold. Also it must’ve been terrible waiting in a 500m queue coz of only the 2 or so opens. Also my heart went out to Chez and Brenton. As others have asked, ‘What’s the big difference between the units?